ESXi with unRAID and Mac OS X

sgibbers17

Has anybody here ran Mac OS X and unRAID on a virtual server like ESXi?  I have never used OS X (that's right never), the last time I have used a apple computer was over 10 years ago in high school.  I was thinking of running ESXi on my unRAID server and play around with OS X so that I can have an iTunes home share up and running all the time.  I thought it might be fun to play around with OS X instead of windows.  My second question is does anybody know were I can legitimately get a copy of OS X?

Hi, i do that.

unRAID and OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) as virtual machine in esxi (5.1).

The unRAID vm currently also acts as a host for sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato,

but i want to move those three apps to a dedicated Ubunto or Windows vm soon.

And on the OSX vm i only installed iTunes(for Music and Podcasts) and the Plex Media Server.

The last available version of OSX on media (DVD/USB Sick) was OSX Lion, but i dont think

Apple does sell that one anymore.

Hi, i do that.

The unRAID vm currently also acts as a host for sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato,

And on the OSX vm i only installed iTunes(for Music and Podcasts) and the Plex Media Server.

The last available version of OSX on media (DVD/USB Sick) was OSX Lion, but i dont think

They don't sell it anymore. And he said legit. What you're running is not legit since it is not on Apple hardware.

Hi, i do that.

They don't sell it anymore. And he said legit. What you're running is not legit since it is not on Apple hardware.

Amen!

Hi, i do that.

I know that apple doesn't allow you to install it on non apple hardware.  I meant legit as in I own it and not downloaded off a torrent or some other form of piracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Snow Leopard came as install disks BTW. So maybe you can buy a set of those disks. It's also the last great OS from Apple. Lion and Mtn. Lion are abominations, and have made my MacBookPro not much more than a paperweight.

Don't know what happened to you because Mountain Lion runs great on my late 2007 MacBook Pro, my Late 2011 MacBook Pro, my Late 2010 MacBook Air and my girlfriends Mid 2009 MacBook Pro. Sounds like you have some other type of issue...

Don't know what happened to you because Mountain Lion runs great on my late 2007 MacBook Pro, my Late 2011 MacBook Pro, my Late 2010 MacBook Air and my girlfriends Mid 2009 MacBook Pro. Sounds like you have some other type of issue...

<RANT> Well, constant spinning beach balls, constant spotlight re-indexing, constantly having to force load webpages every time you open one. Feel free to search the web for "Lion Sucks" or similar phrase, I'm sure you'll find ample  descriptions. I never had one problem with Snow Leopard. Just to be clear, I have had a Mac since my first 128K Macintosh in 1984, so this comes as a rude surprise for me. I don't want my Desktop to look like my iPhone, either. </RANT>

I'm glad it worked for you, I just don't have the time to invest right now to reinstall Snow Leopard, especially because the Mail format has completely changed and downgrading has been made nearly impossible (well, a complete PITA anyways).

<RANT> Well, constant spinning beach balls, constant spotlight re-indexing, constantly having to force load webpages every time you open one. Feel free to search the web for "Lion Sucks" or similar phrase, I'm sure you'll find ample  descriptions. I never had one problem with Snow Leopard. Just to be clear, I have had a Mac since my first 128K Macintosh in 1984, so this comes as a rude surprise for me. I don't want my Desktop to look like my iPhone, either. </RANT>

I'm glad it worked for you, I just don't have the time to invest right now to reinstall Snow Leopard, especially because the Mail format has completely changed and downgrading has been made nearly impossible (well, a complete PITA anyways).

Have you started from a fresh install? I know that's a pain the the ass and a very 'Windows' solution but it can make a difference. My 2007 MacBook Po was dragging ass even in Snow Leopard (having upgraded from Tiger to Leopard then SL) so when Lion came out I wiped it clean its been great, even after the ML upgrade. I think some of that legacy PowerPC stuff baked in caused some of the issues and Lion was the first version without it.

But desktop looking like iOS?  :o

What is iOS about it at all? There's Launch Center but I never use it and its not necessary.

You must be running a different OS to me because 10.8 runs just like any other 10.X release has.

Bring back Save As properly and I'm happy.

I've got a Snow Leopard install I've been trying to get going. I may have to get it installed into VirtualBox or VMWare on my desktop first. I bought the copy, it's legit, and I'm hoping I can do this without having to dl a full image somewhere.

That blog doesn't contain a download link that I can see....

Hi, i do that.

can you tell us which instructions did you follow? :)  is it dhy8386's linked tutotial?  http://blog.phonicuk.com/post/2012/07/30/Running-Mac-OS-X-108-Mountain-Lion-in-VMware-ESXi-5.aspx

That's not legit. Only way to do that is to pirate OS X. The OP said he doesn't want to do that.

First that link is to install on a Mac mini.

Second, not an attorney but....Running osx on non apple hardware is not "illegal". EULAs are not criminal issues. They are contracts. Breach is legal however the party being breached has a right to sue you for damages. However in these types of cases where its personal use, showing and getting damages is very difficult (and if you pay for it legally not even sure what the argument is but im not a litigator) putting aside the fact that the chances of Apple finding out and bringing a lawsuit are next to none. What is illegal is violating the DMCA. That can be done by modding osx to copy it or something to that affect.

You can get a legit copy of lion by calling apple Phone Sales 1-800-692-7753.

3) To install on non apple hardware via esxi follow this link and the posts showing how to install. Did not read or try. Just had it bookmarked for when I build my esxi monster.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267339-how-to-install-retail-os-x-106-snow-and-os-x-107-lion-under-vmware-esxi-5/

That's not legit. Only way to do that is to pirate OS X. The OP said he doesn't want to do that.

No, you can't. Lion is not longer the current version and the only way to purchase a copy of Mountain Lion is to purchase/download it from the Mac App Store.

No, you can't. Lion is not longer the current version and the only way to purchase a copy of Mountain Lion is to purchase/download it from the Mac App Store.

My friend. I think the OP appreciates your willingness to answer his question but your answers on both fronts were just wrong. For the OP let me summarize.

1) it's not illegal to put osx on non apple hardware. Apple doesn't support it of course and you are in breach of their EuLA. But there is nothing criminal with that just recognize what that means.

2) old apple o/s are absolutely still available LEGALLY. mrow, if you had just called that number I posted then you would know apple will gladly send you a brand new Snow Leopard DVD for 19.99. Today. Once you have that up and running in your exsi call them again and tell them you want to upgrade to Lion. They will send you a special code to download from Mac AppStore since Mountain Lion is now the latest. You can the upgrade your install or if need be burn Lion to USB or DVD.

I hope that helps. And by the way please document your process since I plan on doing the same shortly.

There is a difference between illegal and illegitimate. Even just violating the software's EULA would be an illegitimate, while not illegal, use.

Additionally, to install OS X on ESXi you need to use a tool to bypass or remove the routine the OS X installer and operating system run to verify that it is being installed and run on Apple hardware and prevents you from doing so if you do if it is not.

'The caveat is that in allowing VMware to run OSX as a virtual machine on vSphere 5, the physical hardware that ESXi 5 is running on MUST be Apple hardware.'

The Apple EULA is not the only thing that is regulating this requirement, in addition, VMware had to implement a software check within ESXi 5 to ensure that the physical hardware is in fact Apple hardware before allowing you to properly boot up an OSX virtual machine. The check looks for the SMC (System Management Controller) when an OSX virtual machine is being powered on and if this check fails, you will get an error and the virtual machine will be powered off automatically. The presence of the SMC is a new property that is exposed in the vSphere 5 API under "hardware" section of the ESXi host.

Bypassing this check is a violation of the DMCA in the US. Doing so is not only an illegitimate use under the terms of the EULA, it is also illegal.

Thanks for all the input.  I know that running OS X in this fashion is not legitimate, but I wanted to know where I can purchase a copy of the software and not steal it.  Whether or not it is legitimate to run OS X on a PC is a non issue.  How many of use make illegitimate copies of our DVDs and Blu-rays just because we bypass the encryption even though we are allowed to make copies of our purchased media.

My second question is does anybody know were I can legitimately get a copy of OS X?

Do you know if I need a Mac Serial Number to make the order?

How many of use make illegitimate copies of our DVDs and Blu-rays just because we bypass the encryption even though we are allowed to make copies of our purchased media.

Just to beat a dead horse, that example is bad. Bypassing encryption is a criminal offense with severe penalties in the US, thanks to the DMCA. Getting prosecuted is rare, but it happens.

How many of use make illegitimate copies of our DVDs and Blu-rays just because we bypass the encryption even though we are allowed to make copies of our purchased media.

Just to beat a dead horse, that example is bad. Bypassing encryption is a criminal offense with severe penalties in the US, thanks to the DMCA. Getting prosecuted is rare, but it happens.

I am not sure about the serial number. I called for you and got to the point where he said let me take your payment info. Just call up and say you need sl. If they ask for serial you can say computer not handy. I don't think they will but try.