CPU Temp via IPMI Web interface on Supermicro server boards?

So in the web IPMI utility, I see two temps.  "System" and "Peripheral".  I don't /think/ system is the CPU, but I wanted to check with those that know better.

If that's not the CPU temp, anyone gotten lm-sensors to work on the Supermicro (model below) with a XeonV2 proc?

Hmm...that sounds strange to me, although I do not own that board.

All my other SM boards have a System + CPU temp, clearly marked/named as such, in the IPMI Web Interface.

This is what I would expect from your board as well.

Here is some info I found: http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Supermicro_X9SCM-F_Mainboard#IPMI_Sensors

See the info given there for IPMI version 1.67....the "peripheral temp" is an additional sensor added, so I gather you should see three temp entries...System, CPU and peripheral.

Happy new Year!

;D

What is everyone using to monitor iPMI and for ikvm stuff?

I only use the Web Interface of the SM boards...a Browser with a Java plugin (WebStart) is all you need.

Pretty sure that's the same thing I'm using and I do t own a SuperMicro board lol. I'd hoped that maybe folks had found something 3rd party and spiffy. Oh well!

What is everyone using to monitor iPMI and for ikvm stuff?

I only use the Web Interface of the SM boards...a Browser with a Java plugin (WebStart) is all you need.

Pretty sure that's the same thing I'm using and I do t own a SuperMicro board lol. I'd hoped that maybe folks had found something 3rd party and spiffy. Oh well!

Hmmm...if it were for my server farm with LOTS of machines (which I don't need, thanks to virtualization), I'd probably

run something like NAGIOS along with an IPMI plugin (which is available, I am sure).

Edit: this looks cool enough? http://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wikiDE/images/7/7c/20100610-Hardware-Monitoring-with-the-new-Nagios-IPMI-Plugin.pdf

Supermicro boards do not give the actual temp in the IPMI, only low/normal/high

Not quite right...IPMI just shows what BIOS reports.

You are right that this is a SM "feature"...I think SM did introduce it into all their lines some time ago...but it is in the BIOS not with IPMI

My X7SPA-HF with an Atom does show the temp just fine....my X8SIL-F with a XEON does not.

I don't currently have one of these boards but how are you using a browser to view IPMI information?  Are you pointing your brower to the IP address of your server?  I see that Supermicro has a program one can download called IPMIview but I'm more curious as to how one can see this information in a browser without downloading anything.

I don't currently have one of these boards but how are you using a browser to view IPMI information?  Are you pointing your brower to the IP address of your server?  I see that Supermicro has a program one can download called IPMIview but I'm more curious as to how one can see this information in a browser without downloading anything.

Your server with IPMI will acquire an extra IP via BIOS (either via DHCP or fixed set-up)...most have a dedicated NIC for this, but the "normal" NIC works as well.

The board has an embedded "website" listening to that at IP, so you can point your browser towards that.

As far as downloads are concerned...If you want to just see that info, you're set.

If you want to use more than that. like kvm-over-ip, you will actually download a java remote viewer via webstart from the boards website to get a remote terminal into the server's GPU.

IPMIView is a standalone programme to offer the same functionality...I prefer the browser version, though.

Since IPMI is also an interface protocol/service standard, you can get apps for your mobile to access the IPMI info of your server as well.

• 1 year later...

What are the ranges of low, medium and high for CPU temperature?

What range is safe? is 50 C for CPU high, low?

attached is my stats, am i good?

...hard to judge, just by the numbers.

What FAN is the CPU cooling fan?..and what kind/model is it?

Medium temp is OK if there is quite some load....but it will depend on the CPU-fan or overall

performance settings in the BIOS which will affect the max rpm of the fans.

If your entering into High/RED often, I'd adjust cooling  or fan-speed settings.