Tried to mount and copy from an USB drive with NTFS - I don't get it

I thought it would be easy. Connect an USB drive and copy files from it to the array. Something I do here daily/hourly on my Windows boxes. Shame over me, I don't get it to work on unRAID.

I followed the steps I found in this document: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Copy_files_from_a_NTFS_drive

1.) The first step was easy:

cd /mnt
mkdir usbdrive

2.) Step 2 looks like this:

mount -r -t ntfs /dev/? /mnt/usbdrive -o umask=111,dmask=000 -v

Ok, seems that I have to mount something - but what? A look into unRAID GUI --> no USB device in the list, installed SimpleFeatures --> no USB device in the list, installed unMENU --> ah, an USB device in the list. The only option that's offered is --> Create reiserfs file system (see screenshot). Hmm? Should I?

Some research in the forum later - that's what I don't really want. Don't know why this is the only option. Anyway, but what should I mount?

First try with /dev/sdn1 brings an error message. Second try with sdn5, ah success.

I started Midnight Commander, I can see my files on the USB device, I try to copy a 10MB file to disk1 in the array. 4KB get copied - thats all. disk1 shows write activity for 10 minutes (disk light on unRAID server) but no activiy on the USB drive. I close the Telnet session, unmount that beast and give up.

Come on, what's that? Is this really the correct way to connect and use an USB device on unRAID/Linux?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards

Harald

bla.png.9941c3e19fc6de521f47187f55633711.png

Might be easier to just mount it on your PC and copy the files across the network.

That was my thought too. But this doesn't work for me always.

Copying small files is ok. As soon as the files becomes bigger (several GB) I do receive "Error: Could not write file xyz.iso. Remove write protection.". On 4.7 this was never a problem for me. RC11 was my first 5.0 release and with that release copying over the network is not working always.

I would post a syslog - but there's nothing in there (except some Telnet connections).

What error message?

I removed the USB device and gave up on that experiment. But it was something like "no valid partition" or "does not contain partition".

This 500GB USB drive is a 08/15 USB device. Windows 8 shows one partition only. I can plug it in every Windows machine without any problems - only my two unRAID servers (MD-1500LL and MD-1510LL) refuse to work.

If the partition is set up as an DOS style partition table and is an Extended partition rather than a primary partition, then the partition number in Linux will be 5.  Partition numbers 1 to 4 are reserved for the primary partitions, and 5 upwards for partitions within an extended partition.

You can use fdisk under Linux to see the current partition settings (make sure you do not write out a change).

Archived