An Improved unRAID web-interface, extensible, and easy to install

Joe,

I was in the process of cleaning up all my .conf files and I noticed that, if un-commented and installed, the 200-unmenu-package.conf file will create a rc.local_startup script with the following syntax:

#!/bin/bash

#Version: 1.1

logger -trc.local_startup -plocal7.info -is "Initiating Local Custom Startup."

for script in /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/*

do scriptbase=${script##*/}      # Strip pathname

if [ $scriptbase = "rc.local_startup"  ] ;then continue; fi

if [ $scriptbase = "rc.local_shutdown" ] ;then continue; fi

if [ -d $script                        ] ;then continue; fi

( echo "Processing $script"

fromdos < $script | sh -xv

) 2>&1 | logger -t$scriptbase -plocal7.info -is

done

However, the rc.local_startup script that I already had installed read as follows:

#!/bin/bash

scripts=`ls /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/ | egrep -v "rc.local_startup|rc.local_shutdown"`

cd /boot/custom/etc/rc.d

for script in $scripts

#fromdos < $script | sh -xv

sh -xv $script

done

You helped me with the rc.local_startup script that I'm currently using:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg21551#msg21551

Which, in your opinion, is the better of the two???

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe,

I was in the process of cleaning up all my .conf files and I noticed that, if un-commented and installed, the 200-unmenu-package.conf file will create a rc.local_startup script with the following syntax:

#!/bin/bash

#Version: 1.1

for script in /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/*

if [ $scriptbase = "rc.local_startup"  ] ;then continue; fi

if [ $scriptbase = "rc.local_shutdown" ] ;then continue; fi

if [ -d $script                        ] ;then continue; fi

fromdos < $script | sh -xv

done

However, the rc.local_startup script that I already had installed read as follows:

#!/bin/bash

scripts=`ls /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/ | egrep -v "rc.local_startup|rc.local_shutdown"`

cd /boot/custom/etc/rc.d

for script in $scripts

#fromdos < $script | sh -xv

sh -xv $script

done

You helped me with the rc.local_startup script that I'm currently using:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg21551#msg21551

Which, in your opinion, is the better of the two???

They are, 98% equivalent.  The biggest difference is that the top script passes all the scripts in rc.d through "fromdos", while my version does not.

My version expects the script files to have been properly edited, and not have trailing MS-DOS style carriage returns.  I originally tried the version you specified but had some issues with it when I was trying to execute a daemon process as a background task so I eliminated the "fromdos" call as I suspect it was why the background process was not working as desired. 

Both versions will probably need to change once Tom adds proper hooks into his emhttp program.

My version lists the files, filters out the rc.local_startup and rc.local_shutdown tasks using "grep -v", and then executes all the others, each in turn in a loop.

The other version lists the files, executes them in a loop and when it gets to the "rc.local_startup" and "rc.local_shutdown" scripts, skips them by issuing the "continue" command.

They both execute all the scripts in the etc/rc.d folder "except"  rc.local_startup and rc.local_shutdown.

Joe L.

Thanks alot. I am still running 4.3.3 so I have the old version. I followed the direction from this post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2097.msg16658#msg16658

Now I know I have to add the command to install the libraries on each reboot but should I replace the original smartctl with the new one via the GO script as well and if so how  ;D

I am thinking I do if I want to run the smart tests via the unraid menu since the newer version would only be located in the /boot folder not where it really belongs.

Thanks,

To make it easier on you, here is a unmenu.awk package-manager config file to download and

install the SMART tools version 5.38 (the current version)

Put it in the same folder with your other unmenu files (or in the /boot/packages folder, as it will be moved there anyway when you start the package manager.)

You can then download the newer smartctl version 5.38 and configure it to be installed each time you reboot.

It does depend on the c++ libraries, so don't forget to download and install them too.  (its package-manager .conf is also attached)

Joe L.

Thanks for the help Joe.

I did as you said and it worked fine on the libraries, I clicked download, then install and then enable at startup. With the smartctl I clicked download and that worked but I cannot get any further. When I click install the browser just flashes but nothing.

In my boot/packages folder it added smartmontools-5.38-i486-1.tgz but thats it. For the libraries I have the .tgz and the .tgz.manual_install and .tgz.auto_install

What can I try??

Thanks alot. I am still running 4.3.3 so I have the old version. I followed the direction from this post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2097.msg16658#msg16658

Now I know I have to add the command to install the libraries on each reboot but should I replace the original smartctl with the new one via the GO script as well and if so how  ;D

I am thinking I do if I want to run the smart tests via the unraid menu since the newer version would only be located in the /boot folder not where it really belongs.

Thanks,

To make it easier on you, here is a unmenu.awk package-manager config file to download and

install the SMART tools version 5.38 (the current version)

Put it in the same folder with your other unmenu files (or in the /boot/packages folder, as it will be moved there anyway when you start the package manager.)

You can then download the newer smartctl version 5.38 and configure it to be installed each time you reboot.

It does depend on the c++ libraries, so don't forget to download and install them too.  (its package-manager .conf is also attached)

Joe L.

Thanks for the help Joe.

I did as you said and it worked fine on the libraries, I clicked download, then install and then enable at startup. With the smartctl I clicked download and that worked but I cannot get any further. When I click install the browser just flashes but nothing.

In my boot/packages folder it added smartmontools-5.38-i486-1.tgz but thats it. For the libraries I have the .tgz and the .tgz.manual_install and .tgz.auto_install

What can I try??

If it downloaded the smartmontools.5.38-i486-1.tgz file properly, then you can try installing it by hand and see what it says.

Telnet to your server, type:

cd /boot/packages

installpkg smartmontools.5.38-i486-1.tgz

That should do it.  Let us know what happens when you attempt to install it by typing the commands yourself.

Joe L.

It says it does not end in tgz but it does ???

It says that when you type the commands at the telnet prompt?  If yes, type

ls -lq /boot/packages

Perhaps there is a non-printable character in the name?

Are you sure the name of the file is exactly as you typed? 

The "installpkg" command is pretty dumb.  It gives the exact same error even if the file name you give it does not exist at all.

I do not have a file named "joe.tgz" in my /boot/packages directory.  Look at the error installpkg gives when I try to install a file I do not have:

root@Tower:/boot/packages# installpkg joe.tgz
Cannot install joe.tgz: package does not end in .tgz

Joe L.

between unmenu, bubbaraid and all of these various scripts running around in different threads, I'm lost.... I've gone back to a basic unraid 4.3.3 for now... I'm not a total newbie, but I cannot follow where all these things fork-off... too many threads with different versions of the same thing and a total lack of cohesion guys... we need to get this under control!

???

not one person has come to me to use the addon site hosting. oodles of bandwidth and capacity. yes it doesn't have "everyone and their brother can upload to it" but thats hardly a show stopper.

the problem is theres so many people doing so many things independently there is no continuity and absolutely no hope for anyone but the hard core forum reader.

where its hosted is not really the issue, its the lack of continuity. that will likely come with time but this now not even I can keep up.

Edit: just noticed what thread this was in and its way way OT. someone should start a thread just on this aspect of unRAID hacker community group working, it REALLY REALLY REALLY  needs it

I'm not opposed to a common source repository, but that will not solve everything you are describing.

I can't talk for the efforts of others, but the unmenu.awk project is slightly different than bubbaRAID for example, as it is designed to be extended... and it is distributed in files that are in essence, its source code.

I've not specifically mentioned it, but I've taken the time to go through all the posts about unmenu and edit them to point their attachments to the "current" version, so if it makes you feel any better, go to the "About" link in unmenu.  If it says 1.0, you have the current release.  I've not made another so far.  It is the ONLY release I've made in this thread....  yes, we've added a few package configuration files, and a button script or two to address needs of specific requests ( and those will be in the next full release,) but other than a bug fix or two, nothing else has been released by me.

I will migrate unmenu to google code, but people will still post their additions, and enhancements, and desires for change in this and other threads.  it is expected.  I really did not want to end up being the sole person maintaining the source repository.  For now, I guess I'll have to. 

If we're going in that direction, it is probably better to put the descriptions of all these tools in the wiki.  We already have a section for "Add-On" scripts and customizations.  Seems like a perfect place for the "official" release of any of these tools/utilities/distributions.

In the wiki we can have a pointer to the google code repository. 

The purpose of unmenu.awk was to explore ways to improve the unmenu web-interface with a rapid development tool helping to spark ideas rather than just having a discussion in a thread.  Many people, like myself, can visualize easier when presented with a starting point.  Because it is written in a language easy to understand, and you do not need to be an expert to contribute, many have helped in its development...  as such, there will be continued discussion...

I expect this thread, and the others like it describing BubbaRAID, the powerdown command, e-mail notifications, etc... to continue until unRAID is everything to everybody...  Accept you cannot keep up unless you follow these threads... if unRAID is storing your files, and you can get to them on your LAN, it is doing its job.

Remember, you don't need to install a new version of anything... unless your current version does not have a feature you need and the new one does...  The management web-page supplied with unRAID works remarkably well.  Its biggest flaw at this time is the mis-labeling of the "restore" button.  The unmenu.awk Improved interface just gives Tom something to aspire to.  Trust me, I'd be very happy if it had all the features unmenu offers, but until then... a few lines of code here and there, and we can do what we wish...

Leave the discussion here in the forum... there will always be new ideas and new features desired.  If you wish to follow and participate, cool... If you wish to only install the latest version, fine...  there will be plenty of people in both groups. 

Joe L.

I will migrate unmenu to google code, but people will still post their additions, and enhancements, and desires for change in this and other threads.  it is expected.  I really did not want to end up being the sole person maintaining the source repository.  For now, I guess I'll have to.

I think it has something called project membership where you can grant access to the source or upload/download repository.

See attached for a .conf file to install the "rc.d structure" to your flash.

See: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg21551#msg21551 for more info as to what this is.

The attached file is meant to replace the 200-unmenu-package.conf that shipped with unmenu.

Place the attached file in your /boot/packages folder.

Comments, suggestions??

[EDIT]

Attachment removed!!  I was trying to contribute something useful, but I see from Joe's comments that this may actually be contributing to additional confusion/complexity.  That's NOT my goal.  Instead, I'm going to wait for Joe's next unmenu release and then re-work this .conf file taking into consideration the (very good) points that Joe made.

JOE - Thank you for the analysis.  You certainly pointed out several things I wasn't yet aware.  This is how I learn!!

See attached for a .conf file to install the "rc.d structure" to your flash.

See: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg21551#msg21551 for more info as to what this is.

The attached file is meant to replace the 200-unmenu-package.conf that shipped with unmenu.

Place the attached file in your /boot/packages folder.

Comments, suggestions??

Just a few comments...

1. This might need to be modified to check for the existence of a line previously appended to the "go" script to run the .auto_install scripts.

If it is not removed or commented out the .auto_install scripts will be run twice. Once by it, and the other by the command file added to the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d directory when it is invoked.

That line to loop and find the .auto_install files is appended to the "go" script if the "Enable re-install on re-boot" is pressed on any other package before this one is installed.

2. The very last PACKAGE_INSTALLATION line you defined in this .conf file is appending a line to the rc.d.auto_install file.  It should probably replace the existing contents, not append a line with "#!/bin/bash" to it.

3. The "/boot/packages" directory is configurable in the unmenu.conf file, and potentially overridden in the unmenu_local.conf file.  You might waant to use the configured value if it exists.  (or at least warn that this script ignores where they might have locally configured the "packages" folder )

4. In the same way, the following configurable variables in either the unmenu.conf or unmenu_local.conf define the command to be added to run the auto_install files, the name of the file to hold it, the folder in which to create it.  You might need to test for AUTO_INSTALL_DIRECTORY instead of /boot/custom/etc/rc.d.  The following defined values should be used instead of hard-coding the paths, names, etc.  Note that the %PACKAGE_DIRECTORY% is not hard-coded in the script to be appended either... but dynamically substituted with the value from the the unmenu.conf or unmenu_local.conf file.

PACKAGE_DIRECTORY      = /boot/packages

# if rc.d folder exists with startup scripts, create the file there.  If this directory does not exist,
# the auto install command is appended to the "go" script.
AUTO_INSTALL_DIRECTORY = /boot/custom/etc/rc.d
AUTO_INSTALL_FILE      = S10-install_custom_packages

AUTO_INSTALL_COMMAND   = cd %PACKAGE_DIRECTORY% && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c
# looking for a line with .auto_install that is not commented out.
AUTO_INSTALL_TEST      = grep '^[^#]*\.auto_install'

I know you will probably think I'm being picky, but the reason for all the configurable variables is so a local installation can choose to put their files where they want them.  Now, odds are an experienced user will not have any issue in fixing the scripts to match their directory structure, but they will not expect the values in the .conf file to be ignored either... in fact, they are the ones likely to change the .conf file or add a unmenu_local.conf file.

Because all this gets very complicated very fast, you might get away for now by simply putting in the package description that /boot/custom/etc/rc.d will be created if it does not exist and that the .conf file PACKAGE_DIRECTORY and AUTO_INSTALL_DIRECTORY values are being ignored.  The better solution is for me to add to the package manager itself code to dynamically edit the PACKAGE_INSTALLATION lines to replace "tags" as I did for %PACKAGE_DIRECTORY% in the AUTO_INSTALL_COMMAND.    (I'll do that for the next release)  Once that is in place, you will probably want to use "mkdir -p %AUTO_INSTALL_DIRECTORY%" instead of the three lines you currently have.  The "-p" option to mkdir will create the intermediate directories as needed.

Lastly, this rc.local_startup-unmenu-package.conf file will not be recognized by the currently released package-manager plug-in unless the 990-unmenu-wget.awk file has been edited to remove the need for a leading number as part of the package .conf file names.  This rc.local_startup-unmenu-package.conf file will be recognized in the next version of the package-manager plug-in I release, but I don't have a time-frame yet.  I'm in the middle of a change to unmenu.awk and the next release will occur when it is done. (probably in a week or so)

It appears you have had little difficulty in understanding how things tie together, it is just there is so much that can change on an individual installation, and I want to make it flexible to handle the experienced user booting off a hard-disk with very non-standard paths as well as the inexperienced person booting off the usual flash drive.

Thanks for the contribution. I'm very happy to have you helping me...

Joe L.

Is there a reason that the syslog tail on the main unmenu page is hardcoded for the hostname "tower"?  I was accessing the page via ip and the actual hostname on my server is tower2.

"<iframe width="100%" height=280 frameborder=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling="no" src="http://tower:8080/sys_log_tail?nl=6"">"

Thanks.

Nope, no reason.    The page shown at the bottom of main user-configurable and is defined in the unmenu.conf file.  You can override that definition by making a local copy of that file and editing it there or you can just put the few definitions you are changing in a file with that name.

create a file named unmenu_local.conf

In it put the definitions of configurable items you want for your installation.

unmenu_local.conf will then have (for you) this as contents  (put the second line all on one line, even if it wraps on your browser):

# alternate color_coded syslog tail for main page of unmenu.

main_page_user_content = height=280 frameborder=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling="no" src="http://tower2:8080/sys_log_tail?nl=6"

Use an editor that does not add carriage returns..., or remove them by use of "fromdos" as described in the wiki

Then stop and re-start unmenu.  It will use the local definition to override the unmenu.conf definition.

I'll fix the unmenu.awk program to use the local node name... But for now, you can set the bottom of the page to be anything you want by hard-coding your server name in the unmenu_local.conf file.

Joe L.

I just went through an update of unmenu from a pre-package manager beta, to the 1.0 (current) version.  I went through this entire thread and applied most of the updates (I didn't do the name change on the .conf files).  I don't want Joe L. and all the other contributors to get swollen heads with all the compliments, but this is really really terrific!

I also moved my custom bootup scripts from a "go.user" file I had created into the startup script directory /custom/etc/rc.d.  (That name lacks the aesthetics and simplicity of the "/packages" directory name, but I'm just going with it.  ;)  )

I wanted to report a couple of very minor issues:

1 - The smartctl package didn't manually install on 4.3.3.  It downloaded fine, but when I clicked the install button, it didn't do anything. I checked the package directory and it hadn't even created the ".manual_install" file.  I went to the "/usr/sbin" directory and renamed the smartctl to smartctl.old.  After doing that everything worked.  Autoinstall also works fine on re-boot.  It seems that perhaps the package manager stops if an older version of the file exists when clicking the install button?

2 - The pci-tools had a bad checksum.

3 - The APC UPS file link didn't work.  I wound up with some "you're not authorized" HTML in the supposed .tgz file.  I was able to use the 2nd half of the link to download the file and worked fine through my Web Browser.  I just had to change the extension to .tgz (it came down as a .tar), put it into the packages directory, and I was off to the races.  Oh yea, the checksum was bad on thie file.

Thanks again to all involved!

I just went through an update of unmenu from a pre-package manager beta, to the 1.0 (current) version.  I went through this entire thread and applied most of the updates (I didn't do the name change on the .conf files).  I don't want Joe L. and all the other contributors to get swollen heads with all the compliments, but this is really really terrific!

Thanks for the compliment...  ;)

I also moved my custom bootup scripts from a "go.user" file I had created into the startup script directory /custom/etc/rc.d.  (That name lacks the aesthetics and simplicity of the "/packages" directory name, but I'm just going with it.  ;)   )

That's what's so nice about standards, if you don't like the one that exists, you can create one of your own... ;) (Microsoft does it that way ALL the time)

I wanted to report a couple of very minor issues:

1 - The smartctl package didn't manually install on 4.3.3.  It downloaded fine, but when I clicked the install button, it didn't do anything. I checked the package directory and it hadn't even created the ".manual_install" file.  I went to the "/usr/sbin" directory and renamed the smartctl to smartctl.old.  After doing that everything worked.  Autoinstall also works fine on re-boot.  It seems that perhaps the package manager stops if an older version of the file exists when clicking the install button?

I'm not sure what happened... I don't remember doing anything specific to do as you describe.

2 - The pci-tools had a bad checksum.

3 - The APC UPS file link didn't work.  I wound up with some "you're not authorized" HTML in the supposed .tgz file.  I was able to use the 2nd half of the link to download the file and worked fine through my Web Browser.  I just had to change the extension to .tgz (it came down as a .tar), put it into the packages directory, and I was off to the races.  Oh yea, the checksum was bad on thie file.

Thanks again to all involved!

I did not release the APC UPS .conf myself, someone else did, although it was mostly there, just commented out.  I can see the checksums being both a blessing and a curse.. they'll constantly go out of date as people compile packages, as even if the code is identical, internal compile timestamps differ, and that changes the checksum...

I need to make the code smarter to be able to figure out the difference between an ERROR and a valid file download.    (I'm just a beginner at this "package manager" stuff... learning as I go along what we need, and with some input from others in this forum, inventing new "standards"... You'll have to forgive the few bugs that still existed in version 1.0 that people found AFTER I released it...  :()

In the mean-time, have fun... It is really amazing what we've been able to do with "awk" and I'm sure there will be lots more to come, as it is designed to extend, and fairly easy to build on for many who have a bit of programming skill.

Joe L.

I put the package manager configuration file description in the WiKi.   

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnMENU_documentation#unmenu_package_manager_package.conf'>http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnMENU_documentation#unmenu_package_manager_package.conf

Screen Shots are here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnMENU_screen_shots

There is a lot remaining for me to document about unmenu.awk.   The wiki will allow others (hint hint) to help with wording, etc.

I did put an outline for most of the documentation in place. 

You can find it here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnMENU_documentation

If you see an item I missed in putting together the documentation outline, please add it.   If you see where wording can be made more clear, go for it.

If you write a plug-in, please think about writing the corresponding documentation... ;)

Joe L.

3. The "/boot/packages" directory is configurable in the unmenu.conf file, and potentially overridden in the unmenu_local.conf file.  You might want to use the configured value if it exists.

Ahhh!!  I'm getting a little confused about what starts what, but I think I'm getting there.  I edited the package directory location in my unmenu_local.conf.  But I discovered that if you have the whole rc.d config on your machine you have to also edit the package directory location that is hardcoded in /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/S10-install_custom_packages.

3. The "/boot/packages" directory is configurable in the unmenu.conf file, and potentially overridden in the unmenu_local.conf file.  You might want to use the configured value if it exists.

Ahhh!!  I'm getting a little confused about what starts what, but I think I'm getting there.  I edited the package directory location in my unmenu_local.conf.  But I discovered that if you have the whole rc.d config on your machine you have to also edit the package directory location that is hardcoded in /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/S10-install_custom_packages.

Correct....

However, the path in S10-install_custom_packages is taken from this line in the unmenu.conf file:

AUTO_INSTALL_COMMAND   = cd %PACKAGE_DIRECTORY% && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

and the "path" you originally had in PACKAGE_DIRECTORY was used in place of the "%PACKAGE_DIRECTORY%" token when the S10-install_custom_packages file was initially created, the first time you pressed the "enable auto-install" button on an item in the package manager.

The line at the end of the "go" script starts everything.  If you have a /boot/custom/etc/rc.d structure AND have installed a line at the end of your "go" script to process each of the start-up commands there in turn, it will simply find a new S10-install_custom_packages file the next time you reboot, and it will invoke it.  inside of S10-install_custom_packages is a tiny one line script that has its own loop, to run all of the package.auto_install scripts in turn.

If you did not have a AUTO_INSTALL_DIRECTORY entry that existed, it would put that same tiny one line script at the end of the go script, to directly run each of the package.auto_install files in turn.

Joe L.

I was wondering where that S10-install_custom_packages script came from.  I couldn't remember if it was auto-created or if I placed it there.  I simply deleted it and let it recreate itself and all is good.  It would be nice though if it were able to determine the directory it needed to CD to from the unmenu_local.conf so that changes to PACKAGE_DIRECTORY didn't require also editing this file.

I was wondering where that S10-install_custom_packages script came from.  I couldn't remember if it was auto-created or if I placed it there.  I simply deleted it and let it recreate itself and all is good.  It would be nice though if it were able to determine the directory it needed to CD to from the unmenu_local.conf so that changes to PACKAGE_DIRECTORY didn't require also editing this file.

Good suggestion.  I'll see what I can do.

Joe L.

Joe

This is a great tool thanks...I do have a question though I have user level security enable so when I just use the  original web page I have to type my user name and password.  Now with :8080 it brings me straight to the main page with no need for the user name or password.  Is there a way to fix this?

Erik 

Joe

This is a great tool thanks...I do have a question though I have user level security enable so when I just use the  original web page I have to type my user name and password.  Now with :8080 it brings me straight to the main page with no need for the user name or password.  Is there a way to fix this?

Erik 

Short answer... not easily.

Longer answer...  not easily......  I said very early on, there is no security with this.  Perhaps over time somebody will figure out a way, but for now... sorry.  We have no way to do a SSL session, so best case would still have the password in cleartext over the LAN.  Just don't run it when you cannot control others on your LAN.  (It is after all on an unusual port, so unless your family members are very computer literate, it will be hidden somewhat... Just don't let them see your browsing history)

Joe L.

Thanx for that improvement.

I'm still hesitate to buy a licence but this one tool is pushing me to do so.

I like the freenas web interface and all the possibilities it offer.

If unraid could offer such purpose (samba, ftp, ssh, nfs, ... bittorrent,...) easy intall (no linux consol, no linux skills needed) that would be great to.

:)

• Squid locked this topic