An Improved unRAID web-interface, extensible, and easy to install

Here is the view I get on the Disk Management page in the attached jpg ...

I forgot that your pre_clear.sh script did not format the drive after ... My Bad

I did extract all three files to a clear folder called /boot/unmenu/ on the flash  (that other post was way too long)

unmenu-1-1.zip

unmenu plug-ins-1-1.zip

unmenu package conf-1-1.zip

I installed smartmontools and cxxlibs from UnMenu ... would that work?

Package File: smartmontools-5.38-i486-1.tgz

Package File: cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4.tgz

So yes the mount buttons disapeered for /dev/sbc and /dev/sdc and we know why ... I forgot to format them ...

in the Array Disk Management Pane there are no drop-downs for /dev/sdb /dev/sdc (drives outside of the array) or extra buttons for them to do smart testing

not that I really need unMenu to do the smart testing on drives out of the array with many other scripts to accomplish it for me

(preclear_disk.sh, smarttest.sh and powerdown)

Bobby

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is the view I get on the Disk Management page in the attached jpg ...

in the Array Disk Management Pane there are no drop-downs for /dev/sdb /dev/sdc (drives outside of the array) or extra buttons for them to do smart testing

not that I really need unMenu to do the smart testing on drives out of the array with many other scripts to accomplish it for me

(preclear_disk.sh, smarttest.sh and powerdown)

Bobby

Bobby,

As I've said all along, there is no possible way for me to duplicate everybody's hardware.  Your screen shot was exactly what I needed to figure out what is happening.

I specifically had excluded those buttons on "scsi" devices... Obviously, I was not thinking of the SATA devices that are identified on some hardware as SCSI. (I have a mostly IDE based array)

To fix is easy:

Then type:

sed -i -e "s/\\^scsi-|//" -e "s/and SCSI //" unmenu.awk

It will change the two lines needed to eliminate the "scsi" exclusion.  It will still prevent "SMART" commands on "usb" devices until somebody can demonstrate their USB connected drive also supports that command set.

The lines appear in 2 places in the unmenu.awk script and currently say:

# SMART features not available on USB and SCSI devices

if ( model_serial[a] ~ /^scsi-|^usb-/ ) {

After applying the "sed" (stream editor) command I gave above, they will say:

# SMART features not available on USB devices

if ( model_serial[a] ~ /^usb-/ ) {

I'll include the change for the next release of unmenu, but I think that will be a while, as I have nothing pending at this moment.

Let me know if this fixes the problem and your buttons return. 

(You will need to stop and re-start unmenu to see the change, after you edit the file)

Joe L.

So yes the mount buttons disapeered for /dev/sbc and /dev/sdc and we know why ... I forgot to format them ...

You realize that you do not need to format a "pre-cleared" drive.  If you do it will not be recognized by unRAID as pre-cleared, so it probably will not let you start the array after you assign it unless you use the button labeled "restore" to initialize the array and force a full parity calculation.

99% of the time, you would pre-clear a disk, both to learn of its general health and to write the special pre-clear signature after zeroing it, then...

stop the array, add it on the devices page, go back to the main page, click "I'm sure" under "Start" and press start.  The array will then skip the lengthy pre-clear phase, start the array so your files will be available and THEN and show the pre-cleared drive as unformatted.  At that time, with your array on-line and started you can press the "Format" button.

The big difference is if you do not pre-clear, the array is stopped while the disk is pre-cleared.  That could be 4 to 6 hours of down-time for a large drive.  If pre-cleared, it is only a matter of minutes while you stop the array to assign a pre-cleared drive before you are back on-line with your shared files.

Joe L.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just installed this and the plugins also, is there a way to automatically start this w/o typing

nohup sh -c "while true; do awk  -W re-interval -f /boot/unmenu.awk; done" >/dev/null 2>&1 &

every time thru telnet when i reboot?

My installation folder is /boot/unmenu/unmenu.awk and all the plugin files are also located in that folder (contains only files, no folders)....also, the package manager tells me that i have no packages installed

nvm, i guess i have to put it in the go script page :D

Also, the File Browser doesn't let me browse, it lists the folders, but every time i try to enter a folder it says cannot access unknown folder (or something similar, i am not at home right now)

Thanks

Hi,

Just installed this and the plugins also, is there a way to automatically start this w/o typing

nohup sh -c "while true; do awk  -W re-interval -f /boot/unmenu.awk; done" >/dev/null 2>&1 &

every time thru telnet when i reboot?

My installation folder is /boot/unmenu/unmenu.awk and all the plugin files are also located in that folder (contains only files, no folders)....also, the package manager tells me that i have no packages installed

nvm, i guess i have to put it in the go script page :D

Also, the File Browser doesn't let me browse, it lists the folders, but every time i try to enter a folder it says cannot access unknown folder (or something similar, i am not at home right now)

Thanks

When you get back home...

Please download and install the newest version attached to this post. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg23943#msg23943

(delete all the files you currently have in the /boot/unmenu folder first, as some files have been renamed.  The older ones would only get in the way)

Then, do not use the command you described to start unmenu.  It does not change directory to the correct location for all the files it needs to run.  It also can get into an infinite loop if you attempt to invoke it with it not pointing to the correct path to unmenu.awk

Instead, telnet to your server, then cd to the folder with the unmenu files, and simply type

uu

or you can give the full path to the file

/boot/unmenu/uu

Until you get everything working, you can simply invoke unmenu on the command line so you can see (and report back to me) any errors it prints.

cd to the directory with all the unmenu files and type:

awk  -W re-interval -f unmenu.awk

(type "Control-C" to stop it once your testing is done and get back to the command prompt)

If you download this additional "Config View/Edit" "plug-in" before starting up unmenu.awk it will make it much easier to edit the "go" script, as it is designed to allow you to easily edit your "go" script.

Based on the folder you put all your files, the line to add to the end of your "go" script would look like this:

/boot/unmenu/uu

Not sure of the issue with the permissions on the folders.  When you get home perhaps you can give me more detail.   What is the full path to the folder?  If you log in via telnet and type

ls -l /mnt/full path to folder

replacing the "full path to folder" with the appropriate path, what does it do?   

What version of unRAID are you running?

Have you changed any file or directory permissions?

Do your file names contain extended characters? (other languages)

A screen shot of the exact error message would help a lot to diagnose the "cannot access" problem.

Joe L.

Attempted my upgrade to unMenu 1.1 (using unRaid 4.4)

unMenu and myMenu work OK, but I lost the unRAID menu.  Even when I go to //Tower or the machine IP - no page rendered.  I must have accidentally deleted a necessary file.

My unMenu files were previously in the root of the flash.  I deleted files with "unmenu" in the name.  Moved the unzipped 1.1 files to /boot/unmenu/

I'm not sure what to try next.  I don't want to attempt to reboot it without advice.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Bill

Attempted my upgrade to unMenu 1.1 (using unRaid 4.4)

unMenu and myMenu work OK, but I lost the unRAID menu.  Even when I go to //Tower or the machine IP - no page rendered.  I must have accidentally deleted a necessary file.

My unMenu files were previously in the root of the flash.  I deleted files with "unmenu" in the name.  Moved the unzipped 1.1 files to /boot/unmenu/

I'm not sure what to try next.  I don't want to attempt to reboot it without advice.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Bill

Try:

killall -g awk

killall emhttp

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu

And then see if you can again get to the web-interface.  (you will be killing the unmenu web-server, then killin the unRAID supplied interface, then re-starting it.  The files and shares should all still be exacty as you left them.

If you can get back in, a reboot is probably in order.  If you can capture the syslog before you reboot, it might give a clue or two what happened.  You probably ran out of memory when the syslog filled when you deleted the files.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe - It's all running again!  I did get a syslog before reboot and will look at it.  I guess I need to put /boot/unmenu/uu in the go file to start unMenu each time.  I need to go back and read the unMenu thread again.  Then, I want to get back to installing your file editor.

Thanks again for bailing me out!

Bill

Please download and install the newest version attached to this post. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg23943#msg23943

(delete all the files you currently have in the /boot/unmenu folder first, as some files have been renamed.  The older ones would only get in the way)

Done, downloaded from the google code page

Then, do not use the command you described to start unmenu.  It does not change directory to the correct location for all the files it needs to run.  It also can get into an infinite loop if you attempt to invoke it with it not pointing to the correct path to unmenu.awk

Instead, telnet to your server, then cd to the folder with the unmenu files, and simply type

uu

or you can give the full path to the file

/boot/unmenu/uu

Until you get everything working, you can simply invoke unmenu on the command line so you can see (and report back to me) any errors it prints.

Ok Done as said above...

cd to the directory with all the unmenu files and type:

awk  -W re-interval -f unmenu.awk

(type "Control-C" to stop it once your testing is done and get back to the command prompt)

root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# dir
07-unmenu-mymain.awk*              40-unmenu_user_script_disk_speed*
10-unmenu-links.awk*               50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi*
10-unmenu_user_script_hello*       99-unmenu-utility.awk*
1000-unmenu_user_script_restart*   990-unmenu-wget.awk*
16-unmenu-syslog.awk*              999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk*
17-unmenu-syslog.awk*              MoveCopy.htm*
20-unmenu-usage.awk*               drivedb.lib.awk*
20-unmenu_user_script_goodbye*     myMain.conf*
25-unmenu-dupe_files.awk*          myMain_local.conf*
29-unmenu-sysinfo.awk*             syslog_match.conf*
30-unmenu-file_browser.awk*        unmenu.awk*
30-unmenu_user_script_getra*       unmenu.base.lib.awk*
30-unmenu_user_script_setra-0256*  unmenu.conf*
30-unmenu_user_script_setra-1024*  utility.lib.awk*
30-unmenu_user_script_setra-2048*  uu*
root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# awk -W re-interval -f unmenu.awk
awk: unmenu.awk:253: fatal: can't open two way socket `/inet/tcp/8080/0/0' for i
nput/output (No such file or directory)
root@Tower:/boot/unmenu#

Not sure of the issue with the permissions on the folders.  When you get home perhaps you can give me more detail.   What is the full path to the folder?  If you log in via telnet and type

ls -l /mnt/full path to folder

replacing the "full path to folder" with the appropriate path, what does it do?   

What version of unRAID are you running?

Have you changed any file or directory permissions?

Do your file names contain extended characters? (other languages)

A screen shot of the exact error message would help a lot to diagnose the "cannot access" problem.

Joe L.

root@Tower:~# ls -l "/mnt/disk1/HD Movies"
total 0
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 02:06 3-10\ to\ Yuma\ Blu-Ray/
dr-x------ 4 root root 240 Jan 28  2008 Accepted\ HD-DVD/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Batman\ Begins\ HD-DVD/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 02:24 Beowulf\ Blu-Ray/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 12 23:39 Blood\ Diamond\ Blu-Ray/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Bourne\ Identity\ HD-DVD/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Bourne\ Supremacy\ HD-DVD/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Bourne\ Ultimatum\ HD-DVD/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 00:07 Cars\ Blu-Ray/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Children\ of\ Men\ HD-DVD/
dr-x------ 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Fearless\ HD-DVD/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 00:28 Heyy\ Babyy\ Blu-Ray/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Mission\ Impossible\ 3\ HD-DVD/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 00:47 Next\ Blu-Ray/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 19:34 Om\ Shanti\ Om\ Blu-Ray/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 20:05 Ratatouille\ Blu-Ray/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 14 00:28 SAW\ Blu-Ray/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Shrek\ the\ Third\ HD-DVD/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Sleepy\ Hollow\ HD-DVD/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Space\ Cowboys\ HD-DVD/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 Superman\ Returns\ HD-DVD/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 18:51 TMNT\ Blu-Ray/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 01:07 The\ Brave\ One\ Blu-Ray/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 The\ Departed\ HD-DVD/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 The\ Machinist\ HD-DVD/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 The\ Matrix\ HD-DVD/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 The\ Matrix\ Reloaded\ HD-DVD/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 The\ Matrix\ Revolutions\ HD-DVD/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 240 Dec 22  2007 V\ for\ Vendetta\ HD-DVD/
drwx--x--x 4 root root 104 Dec 13 01:34 What\ Happens\ in\ Vegas\ Blu-Ray/
root@Tower:~#

46516838vs9.jpg

Version 4.3.3

No, havne't changed any permissions

No extended characters

This happens no matter what disk i try to access...

EDIT: Putting quotes around the dir in the URL works

http://tower:8080/file_browser?dir="/mnt/disk1/HD Movies/"

Your original version of unmenu is still running, that is why you were unable to start another.

The error message:

awk: unmenu.awk:253: fatal: can't open two way socket `/inet/tcp/8080/0/0' for input/output (No such file or directory)

indicates the port is already in use. (by your old "awk" unmenu process.)

type

killall -g awk

and it should go away.

Then cd to the directory with the new files and start a new process.

Joe L.

Version 4.3.3

No, havne't changed any permissions

No extended characters

This happens no matter what disk i try to access...

EDIT: Putting quotes around the dir in the URL works

http://tower:8080/file_browser?dir="/mnt/disk1/HD Movies/"

Looks like you uncovered a bug that nobody else found.  I just tried a similar path and can see the embedded space is a problem.  Let me see what I need to do to fix it.  I know I am doing something for spaces in file names... guess I never stumbled upon the same situation as you in my tests.

Just got home from a New-Year's Eve  diner-dance, pretty tired now... I'll look at it over the next day or so and hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Joe L.

Joe L.

Your original version of unmenu is still running, that is why you were unable to start another.

The error message:

awk: unmenu.awk:253: fatal: can't open two way socket `/inet/tcp/8080/0/0' for input/output (No such file or directory)

indicates the port is already in use. (by your old "awk" unmenu process.)

type

killall -g awk

and it should go away.

Then cd to the directory with the new files and start a new process.

Joe L.

Tried it, got the same message

root@Tower:~# killall -g awk
root@Tower:~# cd /boot/unmenu
root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# dir
07-unmenu-mymain.awk*              40-unmenu_user_script_disk_speed*
10-unmenu-links.awk*               50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi*
10-unmenu_user_script_hello*       99-unmenu-utility.awk*
1000-unmenu_user_script_restart*   990-unmenu-wget.awk*
16-unmenu-syslog.awk*              999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk*
17-unmenu-syslog.awk*              MoveCopy.htm*
20-unmenu-usage.awk*               drivedb.lib.awk*
20-unmenu_user_script_goodbye*     myMain.conf*
25-unmenu-dupe_files.awk*          myMain_local.conf*
29-unmenu-sysinfo.awk*             syslog_match.conf*
30-unmenu-file_browser.awk*        unmenu.awk*
30-unmenu_user_script_getra*       unmenu.base.lib.awk*
30-unmenu_user_script_setra-0256*  unmenu.conf*
30-unmenu_user_script_setra-1024*  utility.lib.awk*
30-unmenu_user_script_setra-2048*  uu*
root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# uu
awk: unmenu.awk:253: fatal: can't open two way socket `/inet/tcp/8080/0/0' for i

If UnMENU is still running in the background, you should be able to open it on another machine, as usual, and go to the System Info, Processes tab, and see the commands related to the running UnMENU components.  That will give you the PID(s) that you can kill.

Or you can stop and reboot your server, to clean the old out, after making sure that there is nothing in your go script that will restart the old version of UnMENU.

If UnMENU is still running in the background, you should be able to open it on another machine, as usual, and go to the System Info, Processes tab, and see the commands related to the running UnMENU components.  That will give you the PID(s) that you can kill.

Or you can stop and reboot your server, to clean the old out, after making sure that there is nothing in your go script that will restart the old version of UnMENU.

i've already tried that, i don't have anything in my go script...stopped, rebooted server, ran the "uu" script from telnet, and still get same error

i've already tried that, i don't have anything in my go script...stopped, rebooted server, ran the "uu" script from telnet, and still get same error

Not sure what is going on.  Only time I've ever seen the error you are getting is if the port you are trying to open is already in use by another process.

type

ps -ef

and then post the output here so we can see what is running...

Joe L.

type

ps -ef

These Linux experts make so many assumptions about us Windows users!  :)

I think what he meant to say was:

ps -ef >/boot/pslist.txt

Then you can view and post pslist.txt.

type

ps -ef

These Linux experts make so many assumptions about us Windows users!   :)

I think what he meant to say was:

ps -ef >/boot/pslist.txt

Then you can view and post pslist.txt.

You can highlight the printed output text in "putty" or even in the built-in "telnet" command. 

Highlighted text is automatically copied to the clipboard.

Then in your browser, you can paste it using "Control-V" or "Edit->Paste" on the top menu.

Here is my output, as an example, captured this way:

root@Tower:~# ps -ef
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
root         1     0  0  2008 ?        00:00:03 init
root         2     0  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [kthreadd]
root         3     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [migration/0]
root         4     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:42 [ksoftirqd/0]
root         5     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [events/0]
root         6     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [khelper]
root        51     2  0  2008 ?        00:09:22 [kblockd/0]
root        52     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [kacpid]
root        53     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [kacpi_notify]
root       130     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [ksuspend_usbd]
root       136     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [khubd]
root       139     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [kseriod]
root       180     2  1  2008 ?        00:27:53 [kswapd0]
root       219     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [aio/0]
root       225     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [nfsiod]
root       230     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [cifsoplockd]
root       231     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [cifsdnotifyd]
root       418     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_0]
root       419     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:01 [usb-storage]
root       440     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [rpciod/0]
root       497     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/udevd --debug-trace --daemon
root       619     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [ata/0]
root       620     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [ata_aux]
root       622     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_1]
root       623     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_2]
root       624     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_3]
root       625     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_4]
root       635     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_5]
root       636     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_6]
root      1092  9762  0 12:51 pts/0    00:00:00 sleep 10
root      1096 10418  0 12:51 pts/1    00:00:00 sleep 10
root      1097 11123  0 12:51 pts/2    00:00:00 ps -ef
root      1223     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd -m0
root      1230     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x
root      1274     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:03 /usr/sbin/ifplugd -i eth0 -fwI -u0 -d10
bin       1282     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/rpc.portmap
nobody    1286     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/rpc.statd
root      1296     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
root      1306     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:03 /usr/sbin/ntpd -g -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
root      1314     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/acpid
root      1321     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/crond -l10
daemon    1323     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/atd -b 15 -l 1
root      1339     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:02 /usr/local/sbin/emhttp
root      1375     2  1  2008 ?        00:22:36 [mdrecoveryd]
root      1439     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:01 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
root      1441     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root      1443     2  7  2008 ?        01:45:35 [unraidd]
root      1447  1441  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root      1517     2  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 [reiserfs/0]
root      1534     1  1  2008 ?        00:26:34 /usr/local/sbin/shfs /mnt/user
root      1696     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:47 /sbin/apcupsd
root      2770     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash /boot/unmenu_final/uu
root      2771  2770  0  2008 ?        00:00:24 awk -W re-interval -f ./unmenu.awk
root      2772     1  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 logger -tunmenu -plocal7.info -is
root      2773     1  0  2008 tty1     00:00:00 -bash
root      2774     1  0  2008 tty2     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
root      2776     1  0  2008 tty3     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
root      2778     1  0  2008 tty4     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
root      2780     1  0  2008 tty5     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
root      2782     1  0  2008 tty6     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux
root      4250  2773  0  2008 tty1     00:00:02 tail -f /var/log/syslog
root      8787  1296  0  2008 ?        00:00:01 in.telnetd: 192.168.2.8
root      8788  8787  0  2008 pts/0    00:00:00 -bash
root      9762  8788  0  2008 pts/0    00:00:12 /bin/bash ./preclear_disk.sh /dev/sdd
root     10257  1296  0  2008 ?        00:00:01 in.telnetd: 192.168.2.8
root     10258 10257  0  2008 pts/1    00:00:00 -bash
root     10418 10258  0  2008 pts/1    00:00:12 /bin/bash ./preclear_disk.sh /dev/sdc
root     11122  1296  0  2008 ?        00:00:00 in.telnetd: 192.168.2.8
root     11123 11122  0  2008 pts/2    00:00:00 -bash
root     11943  1441  0 01:35 ?        00:00:30 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root     13848     2  0 01:56 ?        00:00:57 [pdflush]
root     13880     2  0 01:57 ?        00:01:01 [pdflush]
root     15605  1296  0 02:22 ?        00:00:00 in.telnetd: 192.168.2.8
root     15606 15605  0 02:22 pts/3    00:00:00 -bash
root     24350  9762  6  2008 pts/0    01:09:36 dd if /dev/zero bs 2048k seek 1 of /dev/sdd
root     24681 10418  6  2008 pts/1    01:08:49 dd if /dev/zero bs 2048k seek 1 of /dev/sdc
root@Tower:~#

You can see my "unmenu.awk" server I'm running is in a folder /boot/unmenu_final

I also have two preclear_disk.sh scripts running, each in a different telnet window, each on a different disk not yet assigned to my array.

I'm also running a tail -f /var/log/syslog in yet another telnet window.

Your solution of capturing the output to a file works perfectly well, and is very appropriate (necessary actually) for longer output that exceeds the scrollback available in telnet.

Thanks for the reminder that sometimes instructions can be tricky for non-unix folks.

With all this in mind, another way to learn what process has port 8080 open.

type

netstat -anp

It will show all the open ports and the affiliated processes.

[pre]

netstat -anp

Active Internet connections (servers and established)

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        State      PID/Program name

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:44032          0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN      1286/rpc.statd

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:37              0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN      1296/inetd

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:139            0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN      1441/smbd

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111            0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN      1282/rpc.portmap

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN      1339/emhttp

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:21              0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN      1296/inetd

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:23              0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN      1296/inetd

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:445            0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN      1441/smbd

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3551            0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN      1696/apcupsd

tcp        0      0 192.168.2.100:8080      192.168.2.8:63507      ESTABLISHED 2771/awk

tcp        0      0 192.168.2.100:23        192.168.2.8:60873      ESTABLISHED 15605/in.telnetd: 1

tcp        0      0 192.168.2.100:23        192.168.2.8:58573      ESTABLISHED 8787/in.telnetd: 19

tcp        0      2 192.168.2.100:23        192.168.2.8:58596      ESTABLISHED 11122/in.telnetd: 1

tcp        0      0 192.168.2.100:23        192.168.2.8:58586      ESTABLISHED 10257/in.telnetd: 1

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:42264        127.0.0.1:139          TIME_WAIT  -

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:48986        127.0.0.1:445          TIME_WAIT  -

tcp        0      0 192.168.2.100:445      192.168.2.8:60582      ESTABLISHED 11943/smbd

udp        0      0 192.168.2.100:137      0.0.0.0:*                          1439/nmbd

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:137            0.0.0.0:*                          1439/nmbd

udp        0      0 192.168.2.100:138      0.0.0.0:*                          1439/nmbd

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:138            0.0.0.0:*                          1439/nmbd

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:37              0.0.0.0:*                          1296/inetd

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:58300          0.0.0.0:*                          1286/rpc.statd

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:615            0.0.0.0:*                          1286/rpc.statd

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111            0.0.0.0:*                          1282/rpc.portmap

udp        0      0 192.168.2.100:123      0.0.0.0:*                          1306/ntpd

udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:123          0.0.0.0:*                          1306/ntpd

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:123            0.0.0.0:*                          1306/ntpd

Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)

Proto RefCnt Flags      Type      State        I-Node  PID/Program name    Path

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    1724    497/udevd          @//org/kernel/udev/udevd

unix  11    [ ]        DGRAM                    4823    1223/syslogd        /dev/log

unix  2      [ ACC ]    STREAM    LISTENING    5080    1314/acpid          /var/run/acpid.socket

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    82120    1534/shfs

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    58449    2772/logger

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    6750    1696/apcupsd

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    5146    1339/emhttp

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    5059    1306/ntpd

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    5010    1286/rpc.statd

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    4989    1282/rpc.portmap

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    4968    1274/ifplugd

unix  2      [ ]        DGRAM                    4887    1230/klogd

[/pre]

Since the netstat program show process ID 2771, I can confirm the cmommand with that process ID as follows:

root@Tower:# ps -fp2771

root      2771  2770  0  2008 ?        00:00:25 awk -W re-interval -f ./unmenu.awk

Please note, if you originally started unmenu in a "while" loop, killing the awk process will only result in another being started by the loop.  You must kill the loop process first.

If all that fails, you can always try a different port as follows:

awk  -v MyPort=9090 -W re-interval -f unmenu.awk

Joe L.

Thanks

Your supplied screen shot helped me to identify the bug with the file browser on some directories with embedded spaces.

The problem is on line 201 of  "30-unmenu-file_browser.awk"

To fix it, log in via telnet, then change directory to where all the unmenu files reside, then type the following "stream editor" command

sed -i "s/\(\" decodedDir \"\)/\'\1\'/" 30-unmenu-file_browser.awk

Probably easiest to cut and then paste it to the telnet window (if using putty ir telnet, the right-mouse-button will paste what is in the clipboard)

The "sed" line will change line 201 from

cmd="cd " decodedDir " 2>/dev/null && pwd || echo invalid-directory "

to

cmd="cd '" decodedDir "' 2>/dev/null && pwd || echo invalid-directory "

Not the added single-quote marks (in red) surrounding the " decodedDir "

Let me know if it fixes your directory listings.    I know it fixed mine where I had a directory with a space in it in the path.

Joe L.

Please note, if you originally started unmenu in a "while" loop, killing the awk process will only result in another being started by the loop.  You must kill the loop process first.

I will paste the process report when i get home tonight, but just a question concerning how i initially started unmenu....

although it was started with the loop, shouldn't a power off or reboot just kill that process automatically? B/c after a reboot, the unmenu web interface is not accessible unless i run the uu script...and after running the uu script i still get that error of port 8080 not being accessible

I will paste the process report when i get home tonight, but just a question concerning how i initially started unmenu....

although it was started with the loop, shouldn't a power off or reboot just kill that process automatically? B/c after a reboot, the unmenu web interface is not accessible unless i run the uu script...and after running the uu script i still get that error of port 8080 not being accessible

It will not survive a poweroff or a reboot...  That's for sure... unless it is being re-started upon reboot by something you put into place you will not see it in the process list.  If it is there, then you started it... one way or another.

Are you logging into your unRAID server as an "id" anything other than "root" ?  That too might prevent you from opening the port, depending on the id permissions. 

I'm as curious to find the answer as you.  The more you can provide as clues, the quicker we'll figure out what is happening.

Can you connect to the Lime-Technology supplied web-page at http://tower ??  If not, then perhaps the lan connection is not established to your router, and an entirely different reason exists why the port may not be opened.

type

ethtool eth0

Does it show "Link detected: yes" ??

Joe L.

Ok, here is my process list before starting unmenu:

root@Tower:~# ps -ef
root         1     0  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:01 init
root         2     0  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [kthreadd]
root         3     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
root         4     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:03 [events/0]
root         5     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [khelper]
root        46     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:02:14 [kblockd/0]
root        48     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [kacpid]
root        49     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [kacpi_notify]
root       131     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [ksuspend_usbd]
root       137     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [khubd]
root       140     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [kseriod]
root       181     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:18 [pdflush]
root       182     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:10 [kswapd0]
root       222     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [aio/0]
root       231     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [cifsoplockd]
root       232     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [cifsdnotifyd]
root       415     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_0]
root       416     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [usb-storage]
root       430     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [rpciod/0]
root       492     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
root       629     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [ata/0]
root       632     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [ata_aux]
root      1022     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_1]
root      1023     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_2]
root      1024     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_3]
root      1025     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_4]
root      1026     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_5]
root      1027     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_6]
root      1045     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_7]
root      1046     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_8]
root      1048     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_9]
root      1050     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_10]
root      1052     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_11]
root      1054     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_12]
root      1272     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd -m0
root      1280     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x
bin       1760     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/rpc.portmap
nobody    1765     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/rpc.statd
root      1774     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
root      1784     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/acpid
root      1786     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/crond -l10
daemon    1788     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/atd -b 15 -l 1
root      1803     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/ifplugd -i eth0 -fwI -
root      1820     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/sbin/emhttp
root      2033     1  0 Jan01 tty1     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
root      2034     1  0 Jan01 tty2     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
root      2036     1  0 Jan01 tty3     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
root      2038     1  0 Jan01 tty4     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
root      2040     1  0 Jan01 tty5     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
root      2043     1  0 Jan01 tty6     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux
root      2211     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:10:22 [mdrecoveryd]
root      2233     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
root      2235     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root      2236  2235  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root      2239     2  2 Jan01 ?        00:32:03 [unraidd]
root      2290     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [reiserfs/0]
root      2312     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:21 /usr/local/sbin/shfs /mnt/user
root      2388  2235  0 Jan01 ?        00:05:39 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root      2535     2  0 21:44 ?        00:00:01 [pdflush]
root      2544  1774  0 22:10 ?        00:00:00 in.telnetd: 192.168.10.82
root      2545  2544  0 22:10 pts/0    00:00:00 -bash
root      2556  2545  0 22:10 pts/0    00:00:00 ps -ef

And now after starting unmenu using the "uu" script

root@Tower:~# cd /boot/unmenu
root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# uu
root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# ps -ef
root         1     0  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:01 init
root         2     0  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [kthreadd]
root         3     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
root         4     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:03 [events/0]
root         5     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [khelper]
root        46     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:02:14 [kblockd/0]
root        48     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [kacpid]
root        49     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [kacpi_notify]
root       131     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [ksuspend_usbd]
root       137     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [khubd]
root       140     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [kseriod]
root       181     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:18 [pdflush]
root       182     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:10 [kswapd0]
root       222     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [aio/0]
root       231     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [cifsoplockd]
root       232     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [cifsdnotifyd]
root       415     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_0]
root       416     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [usb-storage]
root       430     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [rpciod/0]
root       492     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
root       629     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [ata/0]
root       632     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [ata_aux]
root      1022     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_1]
root      1023     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_2]
root      1024     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_3]
root      1025     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_4]
root      1026     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_5]
root      1027     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_6]
root      1045     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_7]
root      1046     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_8]
root      1048     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_9]
root      1050     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_10]
root      1052     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_11]
root      1054     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_12]
root      1272     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd -m0
root      1280     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x
bin       1760     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/rpc.portmap
nobody    1765     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/rpc.statd
root      1774     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
root      1784     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/acpid
root      1786     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/crond -l10
daemon    1788     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/atd -b 15 -l 1
root      1803     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/ifplugd -i eth0 -fwI -
root      1820     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/sbin/emhttp
root      2033     1  0 Jan01 tty1     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
root      2034     1  0 Jan01 tty2     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
root      2036     1  0 Jan01 tty3     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
root      2038     1  0 Jan01 tty4     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
root      2040     1  0 Jan01 tty5     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
root      2043     1  0 Jan01 tty6     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux
root      2211     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:10:22 [mdrecoveryd]
root      2233     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
root      2235     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root      2236  2235  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root      2239     2  2 Jan01 ?        00:32:03 [unraidd]
root      2290     2  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:00 [reiserfs/0]
root      2312     1  0 Jan01 ?        00:00:21 /usr/local/sbin/shfs /mnt/user
root      2388  2235  0 Jan01 ?        00:05:39 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root      2535     2  0 21:44 ?        00:00:01 [pdflush]
root      2544  1774  0 22:10 ?        00:00:00 in.telnetd: 192.168.10.82
root      2545  2544  0 22:10 pts/0    00:00:00 -bash
root      2559     1  0 22:13 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/bash ./uu
root      2560  2559  0 22:13 pts/0    00:00:00 awk -W re-interval -f ./unmenu.a
root      2564  2545  0 22:13 pts/0    00:00:00 ps -ef

and netstat -anp

root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# netstat -anp
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:37              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     1
774/inetd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:139             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     2
235/smbd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     1
760/rpc.portmap
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8080            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     2
560/awk
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     1
820/emhttp
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:21              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     1
774/inetd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:23              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     1
774/inetd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:445             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     2
235/smbd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:42333           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     1
765/rpc.statd
tcp        0    663 192.168.10.10:23        192.168.10.82:51738     ESTABLISHED2
544/in.telnetd: 19
tcp        0      0 192.168.10.10:445       192.168.10.82:63714     ESTABLISHED2
388/smbd
udp        0      0 192.168.10.10:137       0.0.0.0:*                          2
233/nmbd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:137             0.0.0.0:*                          2
233/nmbd
udp        0      0 192.168.10.10:138       0.0.0.0:*                          2
233/nmbd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:138             0.0.0.0:*                          2
233/nmbd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:669             0.0.0.0:*                          1
765/rpc.statd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:37              0.0.0.0:*                          1
774/inetd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:55891           0.0.0.0:*                          1
765/rpc.statd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111             0.0.0.0:*                          1
760/rpc.portmap
Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node PID/Program name    Pat
h
unix  7      [ ]         DGRAM                    4111     1272/syslogd        /
dev/log
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    1615     492/udevd           @
/org/kernel/udev/udevd
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     4769     1784/acpid          /
var/run/acpid.socket
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    4871     1820/emhttp
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    4833     1803/ifplugd
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    4723     1765/rpc.statd
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    4699     1760/rpc.portmap
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    4164     1280/klogd

and again the error for port 8080

http://tower is still accessible

as is the unmenu page

From what you have showed me, you are able to start unmenu by typing "uu"

If you attempt to start it again you will get exactly the message you did.

If you type

ps -ef | grep awk

I think you will see unmenu.awk is currently running. 

You will not be able to start it again if it is already running... if you try you will get the unable to open port message.

But... now that you have connectivity to //tower, try typing

//tower:8080  in your internet browser.

Joe L.

From what you have showed me, you are able to start unmenu by typing "uu"

If you attempt to start it again you will get exactly the message you did.

If you type

ps -ef | grep awk

I think you will see unmenu.awk is currently running.   

You will not be able to start it again if it is already running... if you try you will get the unable to open port message.

But... now that you have connectivity to //tower, try typing

//tower:8080  in your internet browser.

Joe L.

yeah, tower:8080 works fine...i thought u said there was something wrong with my setup of unmenu...lol...

u know i was thinking this line awk -W re-interval -f unmenu.awk was some type of test or something AFTER you start unmenu using the "uu" script, heh

yeah, tower:8080 works fine...i thought u said there was something wrong with my setup of unmenu...lol...

u know i was thinking this line awk -W re-interval -f unmenu.awk was some type of test or something AFTER you start unmenu using the "uu" script, heh

Happy to hear it is now working.

Sorry for any confusion...  If the "uu" command could not start the unmenu.awk web-server up, then you could use the command "awk -W ...." to do it at the command line to better see any error messages.  As you discovered, you cannot start up two on the same port.

Note that you helped me by reporting the bug with directories with embedded spaces in the "File-Browser" plug-in.  I've posted how to fix it, so you should be up and running with a lot of new tools to watch over your unRAID server.

Have fun...

Joe L.

• Squid locked this topic