Chromebook and unraid

binhex

Has anybody tried using a chromebook to upload photos from unraid share to facebook and if so how do you achieve this using a chromebook, would it involve copying the pictures to the local drive on the chrome book first?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

FTP or you can access files through the unraid GUI....

All chromium extensions for FTP are ugly and ewwy and the unraid GUI doesn't have the best writing abilities for files.

I'm glad I don't own a chromiumbook, too be honest.

I agree. I don't understand the benefit of Chromebooks. What is the benefit of only running a browser as the whole OS? It doesn't get you improved battery life. A similarly spec'd Mac or PC gets the same battery life or better. The only upside I can see is some of them are cheaper than a Mac or PC.

All chromium extensions for FTP are ugly and ewwy and the unraid GUI doesn't have the best writing abilities for files.

I agree. I don't understand the benefit of Chromebooks. What is the benefit of only running a browser as the whole OS? It doesn't get you improved battery life. A similarly spec'd Mac or PC gets the same battery life or better. The only upside I can see is some of them are cheaper than a Mac or PC.

It's a great option for nontechnical people. 

Sent via a phone. Sorry for any typos.

It's a great option for nontechnical people. 

Sent via a phone. Sorry for any typos.

If anything you need to be more technical to use it. On windows/mac if you want to get something done, you just download something and done. On this you'll have to start figuring out how to use developer APIs for online APIs/etc because the developer didn't support a chrome book. You'll also have to deal with the permission issues of chromium itself (E.G. can only talk in new-line based protocols) and it's security quirks (E.G. only talking on a few amount of ports). I'd probably be recompiling the source every other hour to modify something I didn't like, such as:-

c1Wa06q.png

I dunno, all a lot of people do is browse, email and a bit of light office type stuff.  Not much wrong with them for the price if that's what you want imho.

Then why don't the vendors just sell the same PC but install Ubuntu instead? With that if you ever do need to get an app to do something at least you have the option. Both of them cost no money to include and the Unity interface is about as simple as can be. If grandma can figure out how to open Safari on an iPad she can figure out how to open Firefox or Chrome in Ubuntu.

I dunno, all a lot of people do is browse, email and a bit of light office type stuff.  Not much wrong with them for the price if that's what you want imho.

Then why don't the vendors just sell the same PC but install Ubuntu instead? With that if you ever do need to get an app to do something at least you have the option. Both of them cost no money to include and the Unity interface is about as simple as can be. If grandma can figure out how to open Safari on an iPad she can figure out how to open Firefox or Chrome in Ubuntu.

Because of the obvious scary mandatory terminal that you totally use ones and zeros to operate.

'Chrome'book is obviously made by google and obviously is nice and doesn't run a back-end terminal what-so-ever.

If anything you need to be more technical to use it. On windows/mac if you want to get something done, you just download something and done. On this you'll have to start figuring out how to use developer APIs for online APIs/etc because the developer didn't support a chrome book. You'll also have to deal with the permission issues of chromium itself (E.G. can only talk in new-line based protocols) and it's security quirks (E.G. only talking on a few amount of ports). I'd probably be recompiling the source every other hour to modify something I didn't like, such as:-

c1Wa06q.png

If I were to give my mother a chromebook, show her how to access what she wants access to (e-mail, web browsing - she has simple needs), I doubt I'd get support calls from her.  I cannot tell you how many Windows based PCs I've had to fix because the users downloaded some "free" game with adware, or because they downloaded something to "fix" or "speed up" their computer.  Granted this isn't as much of an issue on a Mac, but people can get themselves into trouble there too.

With a cheap chromebook (and saving everything to the cloud), even if you lose/break the device you can get everything back by purchasing a new one and logging into your account.

I agree that it's not a good option for someone who's technically minded and wants an experience that is determined by their own preferences, but that's not the intended audience.  A non-technical user isn't going to be accessing google on port 25 (I don't really know why you'd want to do that).

c1Wa06q.png

If I were to give my mother a chromebook, show her how to access what she wants access to (e-mail, web browsing - she has simple needs), I doubt I'd get support calls from her.  I cannot tell you how many Windows based PCs I've had to fix because the users downloaded some "free" game with adware, or because they downloaded something to "fix" or "speed up" their computer.  Granted this isn't as much of an issue on a Mac, but people can get themselves into trouble there too.

With a cheap chromebook (and saving everything to the cloud), even if you lose/break the device you can get everything back by purchasing a new one and logging into your account.

I agree that it's not a good option for someone who's technically minded and wants an experience that is determined by their own preferences, but that's not the intended audience.  A non-technical user isn't going to be accessing google on port 25 (I don't really know why you'd want to do that).

Doesn't Ubuntu have a "Remote login" feature? I've personally never used it, so, I can't tell you exactly what it does, but...  ::)

• 2 weeks later...

Even Phones are complicated for older people... No way I would want my mom to have a computer with Ubuntu.

Even Phones are complicated for older people... No way I would want my mom to have a computer with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu seems very interface friendly, in fact, I'd say it's probably easier than windows with all of the app repositories & automatic dependency installing. You wouldn't count how many times I've had "Sorry, you're running .net framework version 4.0.0.3.455, this program requires version 4.0.0.3.456" on windows.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2 cents on the chromebook:

I have 18 month old twins and they are really rough on anything they can get their hands on. This made couch surfing with my laptop both difficult and dangerous (they managed to damage the hinge on my ultrabook). We tried just keeping laptops out of the living room, but that just drove me crazy. The Samsung Chromebook was the answer. At $250, even if they actually destroy it, it's not the end of the world. Having said that, it's quite durably built and everything screws or snaps back together quite easily (found out from experience). I was also very pleasantly surprised with the performance. I've had netbooks in the past and was prepared for agonizingly slow performance, but it does just fine. I tend to keep around 10-20 tabs up at a time and doesn't seem to bother it. The multi user capabilities work well enough for me and my wife to share the machine (it just lives in the living room). Netflix works. Plex Web works. When I need a little more power, I can RDP or VNC into one of my other machines. I've also been considering messing around with Crouton (https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton).

In short, it definitely doesn't do everything, but what it does, it does well and very simply. I'd definitely recommend one to my parents or anyone non-technical, but as a highly technical user, it also works fine given proper expectations.