New Highpoint Rocket 750 - 40-Port SATA 6GB/s

I just read about the new HighPoint Rocket 750.  It is a 40 port (40 hard drives!) controller card, and each port is a 6GB/s SATA port.  At first I thought I was looking at a SAS card (which I was hoping it would be), but it looks like the card's 10 connectors work with 4-way breakout cables, so it really is just SATA and not SAS.

It also uses one PCIe 2.0 x8 connection.  I would have liked x16, but perhaps it's not necessary.  It's supposed to come out this month.

I'm currently using 4 PCIe cards (and have found it impossible to get them all running at x4 speed due to BIOS issues) plus another 5 ports from the motherboard.  This seems like a nice (albeit expensive) solution.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/201304092345011_HighPoint_Launches_40_Port_Serial_ATA_6Gb_s_Controller_Card.html

Now where do I find an affordable 40 bay case....

• 3 weeks later...

Wow $739 from Amazon, I would go with PCIe 8x SAS controller pair with SAS Expander for a lot less.

Have to agree. I don't like the idea of putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

It is still pretty damn cool though.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just read about the new HighPoint Rocket 750.  It is a 40 port (40 hard drives!) controller card, and each port is a 6GB/s SATA port.  At first I thought I was looking at a SAS card (which I was hoping it would be), but it looks like the card's 10 connectors work with 4-way breakout cables, so it really is just SATA and not SAS.

It also uses one PCIe 2.0 x8 connection.  I would have liked x16, but perhaps it's not necessary.  It's supposed to come out this month.

I'm currently using 4 PCIe cards (and have found it impossible to get them all running at x4 speed due to BIOS issues) plus another 5 ports from the motherboard.  This seems like a nice (albeit expensive) solution.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/201304092345011_HighPoint_Launches_40_Port_Serial_ATA_6Gb_s_Controller_Card.html

Now where do I find an affordable 40 bay case....

do we have a confirmation that this card will work in unraid?  i am thinking about getting it.  guess i could give it a try and see what happens

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
9 minutes ago, Richneerd said:

I know this is an old post, 4 years :D, but yes the Highpoint Rocket 750 - 40-Port SATA 6GB/s is working out of the box.

Question is, is it stable? It uses the same chipset as the SAS2LP, so there could be issues with dropped disks, etc.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...