Spontaneous restarts

My unRAID server (RC11, with unMenu and SF 1.05) which has been running without a hitch for months, has spontaneously rebooted twice over the last couple of days.

It's based on a SuperMicro X7SPA-HF with 4 Gb and an assortment of 2TB drives.

As the log gets rewritten on reboot, there isn't much to go by there:

"1395: Apr 28 13:39:15 Tower emhttp: unclean shutdown detected"

As this results in doing a parity check on resume, this is somewhat annoying. And of course, whatever the underlying problem is, I fear that it could result in even more serious problems if not found and fixed.

However, apart from trying to swap the PSU, I don't have many ideas where to start looking.

If anyone has any other insights, experience or ideas, I'd appreciate input before I start ordering parts.

Thanks!

- Thomas

My unRAID server (RC11, with unMenu and SF 1.05) which has been running without a hitch for months, has spontaneously rebooted twice over the last couple of days.

It's based on a SuperMicro X7SPA-HF with 4 Gb and an assortment of 2TB drives.

As the log gets rewritten on reboot, there isn't much to go by there:

"1395: Apr 28 13:39:15 Tower emhttp: unclean shutdown detected"

As this results in doing a parity check on resume, this is somewhat annoying. And of course, whatever the underlying problem is, I fear that it could result in even more serious problems if not found and fixed.

However, apart from trying to swap the PSU, I don't have many ideas where to start looking.

If anyone has any other insights, experience or ideas, I'd appreciate input before I start ordering parts.

Thanks!

- Thomas

Open up the case and thoroughly clean the dust out.  Verify that all fans are running.

Run memtest if all fans are working (and clean), and the dirt level was moderate. 

Frank, thanks - relatively well-cleaned already, but will try memtest!

Garycase, system is not on a UPS. Glitches are rare and during the second of the restarts, I was right next to the server (heard the onboard speaker beep when it powercycled) and there were no flickering lights or anything.

I was getting this with a Supermicro board as well. I put the following code in my syslinux.cfg (found on /boot; the root of your flash drive) and it seems to stop the restarts for now (it also limits my available RAM, and that kind of sucks...). I have to pick this when I restart, as I made it the third option after memtest, but at least it's usable.

label unRAID OS (MAX 4GB RAM)
  kernel bzimage
  append  mem=4095M initrd=bzroot

Good luck, thanks!

I was getting this with a Supermicro board as well. I put the following code in my syslinux.cfg (found on /boot; the root of your flash drive) and it seems to stop the restarts for now (it also limits my available RAM, and that kind of sucks...). I have to pick this when I restart, as I made it the third option after memtest, but at least it's usable.

label unRAID OS (MAX 4GB RAM)
  kernel bzimage
  append  mem=4095M initrd=bzroot

Good luck, thanks!

You can make that the default by just moving the line that says "menu default"

Yeah - I was wishing that it wouldn't need to be that way. In another thread, it sounds like my system is having known issues so I'll probably do that.

Re; doing it while still only having 4GB of RAM... it may be worth it just to try, particularly if the system is rebooting all the time anyway. What's it going to hurt?

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd just give an update.

• Memtest revealed no problems.
    Case was relatively clean, but has been given a thorough cleaning
    Didn't try the syslinux.cfg change as it wasn't happening all the time.

I haven't experienced any restarts for the last 14 days. Don't know what to make of it - seems to be working, but I'm still thinking I didn't get to the bottom of it  ???

Thanks for providing ideas and advice  :)

Archived