Gigabyte Intel Celeron 847 1.1 GHz Intel NM70 Mini ITX

I'm not using this board, but it gets excellent reviews at Newegg & clearly runs Linux just fine, so I can think of no reason it wouldn't work as long as you're okay with the limited SATA ports ... but if the plan is to use the free version of UnRAID, it's "perfect".

It scores 1040 on PassMark ... PLENTY of "horsepower" for UnRAID.

Nice board -- excellent price.  You can build a nice little server for < $200 excluding drives  :)

I'm not using this board, but it gets excellent reviews at Newegg & clearly runs Linux just fine, so I can think of no reason it wouldn't work as long as you're okay with the limited SATA ports ... but if the plan is to use the free version of UnRAID, it's "perfect".

Nice board -- excellent price.  You can build a nice little server for < $200 excluding drives  :)

I'm either thinking of getting this board or upgrading my mobo to a supermicro and using my current mobo for my parents server.

Looks like it would be a nice board/CPU for a basic unraid system.

If you do get it, get it from Newegg, they have a $20 rebate until the end of the month bringing it down to only $59 bucks. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128585

At that price I'm really temped to buy it and try to find some use for it. I've already got 4GB of RAM lying around I could use in it. Looking over at the XBMC forums the CPU has got the same graphics in it as Sandy Bridge CPUs so it supports hardware accelerated video playback. With the dual NICs it could also make a nice little router. Team it up with a PicoPSU (not if you're using multiple hard disks though, obviously) and you've got a nice little system.

...looks like a very nice option indeed for a small build.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a source for it on my side of the pond.

...found a micro-ATX variant from MSI though, here: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/C847MS-E33.html#/?div=Basic

Only single NIC but 1x PCIex16, 1x PCIex1 and 2x PCI...also very tempting.

Amazon Germany has it listed now:

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Gigabyte%20Intel%20Celeron%20847%201.1%20GHz%20Intel%20NM70%20Mini%20ITX

Find a nice case with 8 drivebays with easy accessible drivetrays for it and build a nice NAS with it.

No need for that, it only has 3 SATA ports?

Ha! Thanks, I've been lazy and only searched the model name from the US link given in the first post.

As it looks, it comes without the "-D", although still with dual-NICs as it seems.

Lots of suppliers now: http://geizhals.at/de/gigabyte-ga-c847n-dual-pc3-10667u-ddr3-a878085.html

... get it from Newegg, they have a $20 rebate until the end of the month bringing it down to only $59 bucks ...

... the CPU has got the same graphics in it as Sandy Bridge CPUs so it supports hardware accelerated video playback...

Definitely a good price with the rebate (actually not bad without).    It IS a Sandy Bridge CPU, so it's not surprising it has the "same graphics ... as Sandy Bridge CPUs" => although it's the bottom end of the Sandy Bridge graphics options.

Add a $50 mini-ITX case with room for 3 hard drives, and for ~ $125 (excluding drives) you've got a very nice fault-tolerant NAS that could have as much as 8TB of fault-tolerant storage (with 3 4TB drives).

http://www.outletpc.com/kf7768.html?gclid=COrHqrHy-rYCFcud4AoddiIAnw

... I may just have to buy this !!

Sounds like a good plan.

Good discussion, however ... and the newer version of this board with the Ivy Bridge Celeron and 6 SATA ports is certainly intriguing => a nearly "perfect" board for a 6-drive UnRAID Plus setup using a Lian-Li PC-Q25B

If you can find it. I can't find it for sale anywhere. It's still pretty new though.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a review with power consumption figures of the MSI board. http://www.hartware.de/review_1587_6.html

I performs better than the miniTX biostar (maybe because the smaller mobo has a CPU fan).

The MSI runs with 17W on idle and 26W on load figures (7zip test) with Win7 on a SSD and a picu-PSU installed.

The article is in german, but google translate will do a fairly good job.

Nice power figures.  On a par with my D525 board, but with a bit more "horsepower".

• 1 month later...

...I just made a first test with the MSI C847MS-E33 (mATX form-factor with 1x PCIex16, 1x PCIex1 and 2x PCI).

This is going to be my new ARGUSTV server (DVB-S2 recorder).

rest of the Config:

PSU: Corsair VX350W

RAM: 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX LV DDR3-1600

OS Disk: Chronos 60GB SATA3 SSD

1x 80mm case fan

1x IcyDock 3-in-2 cage with fan

1x Samsung 750G SATA2 installed in cage (making the fan spin)

1x USB wireless keyboard and mouse

COM1+2, LPT, HD-Audio is OFF in BIOS

The Power consumption with the above config:

Win7 energy saver power plan.

Boot: 50W

idle: 20W (disk spun down, fans spinning, monitor/IGP idle/off)

run: 27 (disks and fans spinning, IGP on,  nothing elso to do) - 38W(performing a windows update) - 42W (installling a VM with 2vCores).

S3: 1.1W

...the config supports S3/Suspend and WOL just fine (had to disable hybrid suspend mode in Win7 in order to make it work)

There is a beta BIOS (1.11b1) around that enables the VT-X capability of the CPU in BIOS. Verified with VMware Player...works too.

This works as designed for my purpose.

Win7 is much more snappier than with my SM X7SPA-HF-D510...idle power consumption is actually 10-15% better.

...for unRAIDers, this has only 4-SATA ports ...did not test with a spare M1015 if this card would work in the PCIex16 slot.

This board looks very tempting. I was originally planning on getting on Asus C60M1-l, but it's unavailable in my country.

Would C847MS-E33 be powerfull enough to run 2-3 plex streams (no transcoding) simultaneously? I also run SAB and sickbeard on my unRAID

If you're not transcoding then it would up to the tasks you mentioned.

This board looks very tempting. I was originally planning on getting on Asus C60M1-l, but it's unavailable in my country.

Would C847MS-E33 be powerfull enough to run 2-3 plex streams (no transcoding) simultaneously? I also run SAB and sickbeard on my unRAID

I get >90MB/sec from/to my NAS for a single stream/copy with CPU around 12% load.

Edit: this is the report from Win7 Ressource-Monitor, which easily eats another 3% from the load itself

Win7 is much more snappier than with my SM X7SPA-HF-D510...idle power consumption is actually 10-15% better.

Not surprised it's "snappier" ... the CPU scores 1003 on PassMark's CPUMark, vs. 670 for a D510.

I'm surprised at your comment that the idle consumption is "10-15% better" than your Atom, however.  My D525 SuperMicro board idles at 19-20 watts.  Is your D510 a SuperMicro board?  Also, what power supply did you use with the D510 system?    PSU efficiency at very low draw could be a factor in why you're seeing the difference.  I did not test the power level with Windows 7 (never bothered to install anything except UnRAID ... but if anything I'd think it would be even a bit lower than UnRAID, as Windows 7 does very good power management).

...did not test with a spare M1015 if this card would work in the PCIex16 slot.

I'd certainly think it would work fine.

Not surprised it's "snappier" ... the CPU scores 1003 on PassMark's CPUMark, vs. 670 for a D510.

I'm surprised at your comment that the idle consumption is "10-15% better" than your Atom, however.  My D525 SuperMicro board idles at 19-20 watts.  Is your D510 a SuperMicro board?  Also, what power supply did you use with the D510 system?    PSU efficiency at very low draw could be a factor in why you're seeing the difference.  I did not test the power level with Windows 7 (never bothered to install anything except UnRAID ... but if anything I'd think it would be even a bit lower than UnRAID, as Windows 7 does very good power management).

Yes it is a SM...you quoted it already ;-)

I run two of these with 4GB RAM and a single SSD, each in a SM 1HE case, here: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1U/502/SC502-200.cfm that claims to come with a power-efficient PSU.

I see idle consumption around 23-25W.

The PSU I used with the C847 mobo is a Corsair VS350 ...not a real 80+ candidate.

Also the C847 has 2xDDR3 LV DIMMs, the ATOMs have 2x S0-DIMMs...but the ATOMs have 2x NICs running...so it really is a close call.

I agree, Windoze does a better job in PM...my Atoms run RHEL 6.x and Ubuntu Server x64bit.

At an absolute consumption value in the range of 22W +/- 3W ...the effect we see might be only related to the PM features of the OS.

Edit: And the difference we see between our SM -D510 and -D525 might as well being caused by different kill-a-watt models and base voltage (I am on 230V/50Hz)....the baseline of 20W is too low to run compares accurately.

Agree there's not much difference.    Could be a difference in the calibration of our Kill-a-Watts (or are you using something else to measure?);  could be power supply efficiency differences; etc.

You DO, however, have me curious now about how well Windows 7 would manage the power on this little puppy.    Someday when I'm in a "play and experiment" mode, I may have to unplug all my drives; unplug the flash drive; connect an SSD; and install Windows 7 just for grins  :)

... just to see the idle consumption !!

Agree there's not much difference.    Could be a difference in the calibration of our Kill-a-Watts (or are you using something else to measure?);  could be power supply efficiency differences; etc.

Yes, I am using this: http://www.elv.de/energy-master-expert-ii-komplettbausatz-1.html

Very comfortable for a person at my age (not having to ROTF that much)  ;D

You DO, however, have me curious now about how well Windows 7 would manage the power on this little puppy.    Someday when I'm in a "play and experiment" mode, I may have to unplug all my drives; unplug the flash drive; connect an SSD; and install Windows 7 just for grins  :)

... just to see the idle consumption !!

Hmmm...I could do the same one day  ;)