XBMC Standalone Library Updater for UnRAID

I'm back from Europe and ready to test again. Do "we" still need that one line added in the advancedsettings.xml as before? I forget what it was. I'll have to look it up again.

ah, yes. the background update. yes you do. i will update the instructions to reflect that.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't either. I don't think it is entirely necessary. I am checking that now. I have discovered that this plugin and the unplugged_SABnzbd are using two different versions of Python. I am not sure if this is an issue or not.

I edited the sabnzbd and sickbeard plg file to use the same python as this.  They work fine with 2.7.

I just did the same thing, and yes they are working fine with 2.7.

So far XBMC seems to be working fine. I've sent tests notifications from Sickbeard and Couhpotato. Both worked fine and XBMC has not crashed yet. I am waiting for something to download to see if it works as planned.

I am going to try messing with this tonight on my Mac and see how it goes.

One thing I want to ask about is the "mediasources.xml".  I do not have that file on my install on my openelec box.

This is from the xbmc wiki.

"Similar to sources.xml, but used to add custom network locations when browsing in the GUI for a path. Basically sources just for the "Browse for new share" window. mediasources.xml is only created when you "Add network location" from that window."

You really don't need mediasources.xml.  I don't have it on my openelec machine cause I originally managed and created everything from my main XBMC/MCE machine.

I am going to try messing with this tonight on my Mac and see how it goes.

One thing I want to ask about is the "mediasources.xml".  I do not have that file on my install on my openelec box.

This is from the xbmc wiki.

"Similar to sources.xml, but used to add custom network locations when browsing in the GUI for a path. Basically sources just for the "Browse for new share" window. mediasources.xml is only created when you "Add network location" from that window."

You really don't need mediasources.xml.  I don't have it on my openelec machine cause I originally managed and created everything from my main XBMC/MCE machine.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I just opened it up and saw the ip info and figured it was important. I will remove it when I get a chance but for now an empty one should be just fine. As for python, I haven't had any issues. I did realize the different versions and would like to keep everything consistent but piotrasd was the one that compiled it. It also requires multiple versions of the same libraries due to the compile environment. That will get fixed eventually.

I got this up and running on two different unraid servers tonight (ones being setup for a friend) and both are working well so far with updates from sickbeard and couchpotato.

Is it ok to turn notifications on now? I know they were causing crashes before so I have them off now. Since this was a fresh install I figured I would give it the best shot to work and add notifications back later if it's safe.

Thank you so much bobbintb and everyone else involved, this is truly a dream come true!  ;D

I got this up and running on two different unraid servers tonight (ones being setup for a friend) and both are working well so far with updates from sickbeard and couchpotato.

Is it ok to turn notifications on now? I know they were causing crashes before so I have them off now. Since this was a fresh install I figured I would give it the best shot to work and add notifications back later if it's safe.

Thank you so much bobbintb and everyone else involved, this is truly a dream come true!  ;D

pretty sure it will still crash. you can try it though. from what I understand there is no benefit to having them on in this case anyway. unless i misunderstand, all it does is displays a message in xbmc that it is updating and since there is no gui output, it's unnecessary. correct me if im wrong.

i just noticed a typo in the plugin that prevents the sources.xml from copying correctly. i will fix it tomorrow. until then you can just search for:

cp /boot/config/plugins/xbmcsalud/xbmcsalud/sources.xml /usr/local/share/xbmc/portable_data/userdata/sources.xml

and replace it with

cp /boot/config/plugins/xbmcsalud/sources.xml /usr/local/share/xbmc/portable_data/userdata/sources.xml

pretty sure it will still crash. you can try it though. from what I understand there is no benefit to having them on in this case anyway. unless i misunderstand, all it does is displays a message in xbmc that it is updating and since there is no gui output, it's unnecessary. correct me if im wrong.

The benefit is having the gui notification on the main xbmc boxes (ie. in the living room) Unfortunately that would also means that the salud also gets the gui output as there is no way in ether sickbeard or couch potato to turn off gui notifications on a per xbmc client bases.

The benefit is having the gui notification on the main xbmc boxes (ie. in the living room) Unfortunately that would also means that the salud also gets the gui output as there is no way in ether sickbeard or couch potato to turn off gui notifications on a per xbmc client bases.

Oh, yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking more in terms of having multiple hosts to update the library. On a side note, it would be nice if sickbeard let you have different settings for each host. I read a request somewhere about it once.

Seems to be working well for me, agree that it would be nice to have notifications on the front end in the lounge but it's great otherwise, other thing I thought of is whether there is a way to trigger a library update every twenty four hours or so to pick up anything I've added manually.

Really appreciate all the hard work, fantastic job! Thank you so much.

Oh, yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking more in terms of having multiple hosts to update the library. On a side note, it would be nice if sickbeard let you have different settings for each host. I read a request somewhere about it once.

Actually multiple host problem was addressed. Originally sickbeard sent out an update command and a notification to all hosts (which didn't work for a shared db). They fixed it buy adding the "Only send library update to the first host?" option. So now it will send the update command and notification to the first host and only the notification for all subsequent hosts. We now need a third option "Only send library update to the first host without notification" or being able to pick what (notification or update) each hosts gets. Problem is I don't see that being implemented in sick beard anytime soon. In reality its not a big deal I can definitely live without the notifications.

But there is two more things to consider. One, at least in the short strokes it helps to see if everything is working properly (get notification and then I should see an updated library soon, if I don't something may have gone wrong with salud) but there are other ways so this is mirror.

Secondly, couch potato, I don't know if you or anyone else using salud is using couch potato. Couch potato doesn't have the option to turn off notifications atm.

Out of the two unraid servers I have setup atm, one looks to be working flawlessly with sickbeard and couch potato (which is sending gui notifications). The other one looks to have updated the library for one movie then failed on the next, not sure what happened yet. Seeing as I have only had this running for a night I'll have to work with it a little more to see how its working. How can I tell if salud crashed, other then not getting library updates anymore?

Seems to be working well for me, agree that it would be nice to have notifications on the front end in the lounge but it's great otherwise, other thing I thought of is whether there is a way to trigger a library update every twenty four hours or so to pick up anything I've added manually.

Really appreciate all the hard work, fantastic job! Thank you so much.

the newer compile does have a new switch that disables some additional things and i just read in the xbmc forum that the notifications are working for someone at least. i was really just making an assumption as i havent teseted it with the new version. if you give it a try, let me know what happens. if not, it may be fixed one day but that would require either a change in sickbeard or another modification in xbmc headless where it would ignore the notification and im not going to attempt those.

as for triggering the library, if everything is fine with this version i will start adding features. for now i just wanted a stable code base. that will include a few buttons on the plugin page to update and clean the libraries as well as looking into using add-ons. obviously not all of them will work but this for example:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Library_Auto_Update

should have no or few compatibility issues. with the current state of the plugin, installing it manually would just entail copying it over to the right directory. probably i will just add a simple line of code to copy all the addons stored in a config directory over to xbmc. the hard part really would just be figuring out which ones work without a gui.

Actually multiple host problem was addressed. Originally sickbeard sent out an update command and a notification to all hosts (which didn't work for a shared db). They fixed it buy adding the "Only send library update to the first host?" option. So now it will send the update command and notification to the first host and only the notification for all subsequent hosts. We now need a third option "Only send library update to the first host without notification" or being able to pick what (notification or update) each hosts gets. Problem is I don't see that being implemented in sick beard anytime soon. In reality its not a big deal I can definitely live without the notifications.

But there is two more things to consider. One, at least in the short strokes it helps to see if everything is working properly (get notification and then I should see an updated library soon, if I don't something may have gone wrong with salud) but there are other ways so this is mirror.

Secondly, couch potato, I don't know if you or anyone else using salud is using couch potato. Couch potato doesn't have the option to turn off notifications atm.

Out of the two unraid servers I have setup atm, one looks to be working flawlessly with sickbeard and couch potato (which is sending gui notifications). The other one looks to have updated the library for one movie then failed on the next, not sure what happened yet. Seeing as I have only had this running for a night I'll have to work with it a little more to see how its working. How can I tell if salud crashed, other then not getting library updates anymore?

you posted this while i was writing my last response but try using the notification. it may work. see previous post. to see if it crashed go to the unraid webui and go to the section where you can view the running processes. if it crashes it should no longer be running.

XBMC Library Auto Update addon at one point had to be started manually every time XBMC was loaded, not sure if that is still true.

More features coming!  :)

I'll try with notifications turned on tonight.

i dont think it does.

next i think i will re-introduce the option to have an install directory. it was making things complicated at the time and didnt seem necessary so i took it out. but the more i think about it the more it will be necessary. can't have addons and log files filing up the system memory.

Do I have to have MySQL installed on my unraid. I have MySQL installed in a VM on my esxi server. will this still work?

well, the plugin looks to see if there is a plugin that has 'mysql' in the title on unraid. you could just create an empty file to get it to start without it or edit the plugin to return "yes" regardless of whether or not it is installed.

edit: actually that might not work now that i think about it because it will probably require the package to be installed anyway, even if you dont use it.