RC12a - Power cut - Unclean Shutdown - Array not Starting (or is it?)

I have my UnRAID system on a APC UPS and I know how to shut it down cleanly.  Today, something unexpected happened.

I left the house this morning and all was well with my UnRAID system.  It was running a CrashPlan backup (420GB to go on a 2.1 TB initial seed backup).  Our bathrooms are being remodeled and the electrician showed up today while I was gone.  Unfortunately, the half of my home office outlets on which the UnRaid server is plugged in is on the same breaker as the main floor bathroom adjacent to it.  My wife, of course, didn't know this and told the electrician to go ahead and cut the power to the bathrooms so he could do his thing.  UPS alarms (I have two systems in the room on a UPS) started going off and it was panic city.  By the time she got through to me, the UnRAID system had a complete power loss as the UPS battery only lasts about 10-15 minutes (should last longer).

The bottom line is I had an unclean shutdown and when I powered up the system, UnRAID main page said "valid configuration array stopped."  It has been 30 minutes since I attempted to start the array and no joy.  UnRAID main is unresponsive.  I could see the webpage and could click the Start array button, but, it is now blank and unresponsive.  unMenu is running on port 8080.  All other unMenu pages are accessible.  Array Management and Disk Management pages claims array is started; however, no folders or files on the array are visible accessible in Windows Explorer.  I am running Simple Features 1.05

I am running RC12a (was going to wait until CrashPlan backup finished until upgrading to 15a, 16 or v5 final - whatever was the latest next week when backup finished).

CrashPlanEngine did not start on reboot.  This is the first reboot since I "reinstalled" Crashplan in /usr/local/CrashPlan" which is reported now as not a valid directory.  I think I must have had it installed in memory only and the reboot killed it.

Attached is the Syslog.

syslog-2013-06-25.txt

Start up normally and run a "ps aux" and see if there and any of the array_start hooks 'stuck'. Every time the UI hangs on me, there is a hook running indefinitely... When I kill it, the UI is responsive again. Then i have to go see what has and hasn't started to determine what is failing. Usually a plugin is not downloading properly or something.

Good luck!

I'm curious as to why you had an Unclean shutdown ==> did the APC UPS package fail to shut down the system?

I wasn't there, so, I do not know what happened for sure, could have been clean and a proper shutdown.  I am assuming unclean, because, my wife, not knowing what was going on and dealing with the beeping alarms may have hit the green  power button on the UPS and shut it down.  I also came home to an unplugged UPS.  Like I said, panic city.

At least she now knows what a UPS is - we had a talk  ;)

Archived