unRAID Disappointment, particularly some plugins; surely not for noobs

I know this is actually not the right place for this post, as it mainly concerns plugins, but I want to make you - Limetech - aware that the fact that you allow immature plugins to be distributed, backfires on your product, giving your nice product in itself a bad name and that you should better take responsibility to avoid this! I would say even prevent this; better fewer working plugins than rubbish.

There was even a plugin that presented an error message on your main page right after install; how about that!

After reading a good deal on the internet, I decided to take the plunge and go for unRAID.

The main reasons being:

- data protection, at the least capacity loss

- energy efficiency (no unnecessary drive spinning)

- and a number of plugins: Sleepmode, mySQL (for XBMC), Spotweb, Sickbeard, CouchPotato and SABnzbd

So parted from my well-earned money and ordered the new hardware and the unRAID Plus license. Who could have guessed that some of the plugins for this OS are so IMMATURE and allowed to be released at all!

So far, only the "guarantee" of dataprotection, the array with cache drive and MySQL are giving my joy.

As for the rest, I'm confident it will work satisfactory someday, but not at the moment. Not even something simple as sleep mode is working ... so there goes energy efficiency!

If someone can prove me wrong I'll be all ears, but after spending days and weeks (no, not just a couple of hours, but sometimes entire days and a couple of weekends) trying to get things working, I doubt it very much.

So I'll just use it as a basic media server, switching it off and on as required, by hand at the box.

But don't expect me to promote the overall system, which I normally do when I'm enthusiastic about it. Now I'm just disappointed!

So what needs to be fixed for me to become satisfied:

- Sleepmode

- Integration of Sickbeard, Couchpotato and SABnzbd which individually work satisfactorily - although not so much for Dutch people, hence the reason for Spotweb

Your disappointment post is only your 4th post (and your 3rd one was just posted today and the other 2 were on simple-features) so I highly doubt you gave it a fair shake. Perhaps you should have asked the community for help. We're more than willing to help out.

Also, you don't state what your goal for your system is. What were you trying to do that didn't work out? If you were interested in the stretch of Sickbeard, Couchpotato and SABnzbd working together then you sure didn't post about them at all. And you sure didnt post about sleep-mode.

gerard6110>> I do not want to start a fight here, BUT I think that you are wrong, and here is why.

#1. with UnRaid you have an option to test drive the system for free. and since expanding the array is easy at any time why would you take a plunge and buy the license right off the bat.

get a setup together test-drive it for free and make sure it does everything you expect.

#2. Plug-ins are not UnRaids selling  point. they are there as convenience and are provide mostly by community members and supported by them as well.

I understand that new webgui now supposed to be part of the unraid but it is still in sort of beta state and is actively tested and fixed.

I have recently took the new RC for a test drive and it actually works very well.

Yes there is an error when you  start but I actually expected this as there is a disclaimer on one of the posts here specifying that not all parts of the simplefeatures plugins were successfully ported and what ever is not working should be removed.

so if you jump the gun with out testing it first it's your issue, isn't it?

I have been running unraid  5.0Betta13 (NOTE BETTA) for 2 years. not one issue.

even after several power failures 

and before I actually put any data on it I run it for a month testing different config. plugins etc

this is not an off-the-shelf product. it is in constant development and therefore definitely not for total noobs or for people not willing to do the research / testing and learning , especially not for people who expect turn key ready product.

I am a noob, had no problem getting my first server running , a little forum searching,

a question or two  here and I was running in 2 days.

but that was after my initial research, testing etc.

granted I do not run plugins  like sick beard or such, I did planed to but figure it was not a good solution for me. but if you want to venture in that  territory you  should not be a noob for sure.

I know this is actually not the right place for this post, as it mainly concerns plugins, but I want to make you - Limetech - aware that the fact that you allow immature plugins to be distributed, backfires on your product, giving your nice product in itself a bad name and that you should better take responsibility to avoid this! I would say even prevent this; better fewer working plugins than rubbish.

There was even a plugin that presented an error message on your main page right after install; how about that!

After reading a good deal on the internet, I decided to take the plunge and go for unRAID.

The main reasons being:

- data protection, at the least capacity loss

- energy efficiency (no unnecessary drive spinning)

- and a number of plugins: Sleepmode, mySQL (for XBMC), Spotweb, Sickbeard, CouchPotato and SABnzbd

So parted from my well-earned money and ordered the new hardware and the unRAID Plus license. Who could have guessed that some of the plugins for this OS are so IMMATURE and allowed to be released at all!

So far, only the "guarantee" of dataprotection, the array with cache drive and MySQL are giving my joy.

As for the rest, I'm confident it will work satisfactory someday, but not at the moment. Not even something simple as sleep mode is working ... so there goes energy efficiency!

If someone can prove me wrong I'll be all ears, but after spending days and weeks (no, not just a couple of hours, but sometimes entire days and a couple of weekends) trying to get things working, I doubt it very much.

So I'll just use it as a basic media server, switching it off and on as required, by hand at the box.

But don't expect me to promote the overall system, which I normally do when I'm enthusiastic about it. Now I'm just disappointed!

So what needs to be fixed for me to become satisfied:

- Sleepmode

- Integration of Sickbeard, Couchpotato and SABnzbd which individually work satisfactorily - although not so much for Dutch people, hence the reason for Spotweb

a fool and his money are soon parted?

but really this post is just screaming to be flamed.

1) you could have just tried out unraid for free before spending any money.

2) if you need an os first then something that runs something to manage data.. this is not it. unraid is slimmed down from a normal slackware install for a reason.

3) sickbeard is not designed for non-english shows. there are language specific forks (since it usually means having their own providers/own ignore_word set/own naming exceptions/etc)

4) if you planned on running apps like couchpotato + sickbeard.. you shouldnt be putting your comp to sleep anyways. they are designed to be ran 24/7 as they get rss feed updates and download info from scrapers at set intervals.

5) see #1

i will agree with the poster that alot of the plugins can give you head aches... but alas the main reason for unraid is... Raid with the added benifit of saving power...

but's that is just it... what ever the community makes and hacks together is for thier interests... not Lime Tech's... what ever you decide to do with your system is your choice... and if something doesnt work... try something different... dont come here blasting the good people here for your errors in judgement...