unRAID with SABnzbd

Try the new 0.5.x stream of SABnzbd. I've been running that ever since I switched the server over to Linux.

FWIW, I've been using AstraWeb as the usenet provider since I got in on their $96 a year deal back in July; good speeds (maxed my 25mbit), good retention (505 days), ssl, and plenty of connections (20).

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK I am a serious noob with unRAID.  I just put together my server and it's running Memtest at the moment.  I use SABNZBD+ on my other computers and I love it.  When you say extract the tarball is all you need to do for installation, what does that mean?  Where do I extract it to?  And where do I run scripts to get it running?  Are there any resources I can read so I can familiarize myself with unRAID a little more?

Thanks!

OK I am a serious noob with unRAID.  I just put together my server and it's running Memtest at the moment.  I use SABNZBD+ on my other computers and I love it.  When you say extract the tarball is all you need to do for installation, what does that mean?  Where do I extract it to?  And where do I run scripts to get it running?  Are there any resources I can read so I can familiarize myself with unRAID a little more?

Thanks!

See the links at the bottom of my post for links to the unRAID wiki and the like.  You will probably want to look first at the Best of the Forums and the Topical Index sections.

Thanks for the resources.  I've been reading through them all last night and a couple hours this morning. 

So do I download the sabnzbd package and put it in /boot/custom/usr/share/packages?  Then add 'installpkg /boot/custom/SABnzbdDependencies-1.3-i486-unRAID.tgz' to the go script?  Is that all there is to this?

The dependencies are the right step, but you'll also need to actually start SABnzbd. Here's mine:

installpkg /boot/packages/SABnzbdDependencies-1.3-i486-unRAID.tgz >null

sleep 30

python /boot/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 192.168.0.46:1234 -f /boot/config/sabnzbd.ini

I like SAB running on port 1234 and that's my Tower's IP (change as you need for your uses). The 30 second sleep is so I'm 100% sure all other processes are loaded up before it goes to install (I had some issues with user shares not being loaded, and SAB would fail to launch if the user shares weren't ready).

You'll also need to extract the version of SABnzbd you're using to somewhere on your unRAID. I put mine on /boot/sabnzbd (root level of the flash drive), and I'm using 0.5.0b5.

Some other tweaks I'd recommend are to have SAB save your logs and cache to your cache drive or another unRAID drive, not on your flash (cuts down on wear & tear on the flash).

You'll also need to extract the version of SABnzbd you're using to somewhere on your unRAID. I put mine on /boot/sabnzbd (root level of the flash drive), and I'm using 0.5.0b5.

Some other tweaks I'd recommend are to have SAB save your logs and cache to your cache drive or another unRAID drive, not on your flash (cuts down on wear & tear on the flash).

Good stuff!  I upgraded from 0.4.8 to 0.5b1 using Romir's AIO installer, a question for you, since you are running 0.5b5 (maybe even b6 now), how do you package the download from the SABNZBD+ site into a TGZ that can be used by packageinstaller?  Is it simply creating the right directory structure in the tgz to match your configuration?

Thanks.

G

I used to run 0.4 of sab, and it was always fast http response time wise. IO find the 0.5b5 (the aio package) to be much slower at responding. I also ran into a few problems, which prompted me to delete all files in the sab cache directory. OMG there were alot of files in there, several thousand files. I did not count, as I was in a hurry to get it going again. Is there a cleanup script for sab that should be keeping this directory clean? Is it normal for it to fill up like that?

I run sabnzbd from my cache drive. I am having trouble quitting sabnzbd from the web interface. It says that it has shutdown sabnzbd, but I can see in top that the python process is still running. This results in my cache drive not unmounting when I want to shut Unraid down. I tried to kill the python process, but it doesn't work.

What can I do to stop the running python process?

If you only want to kill all pythons, try: killall python.

In the future use WGET to hit the SABnzbd web API to shut it down.

/usr/bin/wget -q --delete-after http://SAB_HOSTNAME:SAB_PORT/sabnzbd/api?mode=shutdown&apikey=INSERT_HEXIDECIMAL_KEY_HERE

Here's some snippets of code from my rc.sabnzbd script used to shutdown sabnzbd. First are some common definition sections, then is the command to gracefully attempt to stop SABnzbd.

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

SSD=/sbin/start-stop-daemon

WGET=/usr/bin/wget

SABNZBD=/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/SABnzbd-0.5/SABnzbd.py

DESC="usenet client"

NAME=SABnzbd

DAEMON=/usr/bin/python2.6

DAEMON_ARGS="-OO $SABNZBD $SAB_ARGS"

PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid

SCRIPTNAME=/etc/rc.d/$NAME

SAB_HOSTNAME=IP_ADDRESS

SAB_PORT=PORT

SAB_CONFIGNAME=/home/$USERNAME/.sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini

SAB_ARGS="--server ${SAB_HOSTNAME}:${SAB_PORT} --config-file ${SAB_CONFIGNAME}"

SAB_URL_SHUTDOWN="http://${SAB_HOSTNAME}:${SAB_PORT}/sabnzbd/api?mode=shutdown&apikey=INSERT_HEXIDECIMAL_KEY_HERE"

Now the command to stop SAB:

$WGET -q --delete-after $SAB_URL_SHUTDOWN

If that doesn't work, I use something I installed that makes daemons easier to start and stop, start-stop-daemon. I can't remember where I picked it up from, but it's been used in some other rc.d scripts.

$SSD --stop --quiet --retry=TERM/10/KILL/5 --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON

RETVAL="$?"

[ "$RETVAL" = 2 ] && return 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sabnzbd+ 0.5.0 final released today!

Thanks for the heads up!  That motivated me to attempt this install.  I managed to get it all working and a huge thanks for packaging all those dependencies.  I now need to figure out how I want to automatically move my downloads into the proper folders.

Hi Guys,

I got SABNZBD 0.5.0 running on my unraid server and it's working, but my speeds are not what they were when it was running on my desktop.

I was getting a pretty constant 1700KB/s connecting to Astraweb.

Now the speed seems to average about 1/2 that and fluctuates wildly up and down.

I don't have a cache drive, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to pint the cache folder to the Flash drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kent

Perhaps you meant "point the cache folder to the flash drive"? If so, I'd avoid it. Your flash is very slow in comparison to a drive on your array, and has a limited number of read/writes on it.

I suspect you'll have to do some tweaking to figure out why it's slower. I played with the Article Cache Limit in SABnzbd, and it seemed to help a bit with speed.

Maybe some of you mentioned the new feature 'sysload' in Sabnzbd 0.5 and were wondering what it shows? It displays your average CPU-load over three periods of time. On the Home page you'll see there are three numbers, the first indicates the load for 1 mn, the 2nd for 5mn and the 3rd for 10mn. The numbers are without %, so multiply by 100 and add the % symbol to interpret these results.

It reads out the output of cat/proc/loadavg.