Dynamix - Web GUI

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just tried out 2.2.2 looks really good. love to see where the Dashboard will go.

Still having the issue with freezing when installing certain plugins. so far, email notify, and the System stats plugins crash on install, whether i download it myself or use plugin control...

a reboot doesn't help - web gui never loads, but i can get in via telnet though.

btw - this is on a new flash drive. running 5.0.5;

Could this be related to running in a VM ?

Have you tried running without VM ?

These thresholds are based on the general convention that disk temperatures between 25C and 40C are considered 'normal' running temperatures, while 40+ is hot but acceptable. 50+ is the critical level where temperatures become too hot to be good.

You assume the disks always show the correct temp, which they don't. If i leave my 4 TB hitachi's out on the kitchentable to get them to a non-operating room temperature of about 19 celcius, and i put them in the unraid server, the immediatly show 32 celcius... i mean instantly. Once spun up for some time they will show temps in the 40-45 celcius range, once pushed hard they will go up to 50. I think the temp sensor in these hitachi's are faulty and one shoud interpret the temp minus 12 or 13 celcius... so when they show 50 celcius it really is just 37 or 38 celcius... i will get constant warnings from dynamix that way.

So yes, the tresholds in the software should be made adaptable. It's good programming practice anyway.

If i leave my 4 TB hitachi's out on the kitchentable to get them to a non-operating room temperature of about 19 celcius, and i put them in the unraid server, the immediatly show 32 celcius... i mean instantly. Once spun up for some time they will show temps in the 40-45 celcius range, once pushed hard they will go up to 50. I think the temp sensor in these hitachi's are faulty and one shoud interpret the temp minus 12 or 13 celcius... so when they show 50 celcius it really is just 37 or 38 celcius...

I would file a complaint with Hitachi if I were you ... pretty useless when temps are that much off.

Btw the SMART specification stipulates that temperature difference between the sensor and the real temperature should be +/-3 Celcius at most.

UnMenu allowed me to set the warning and the alarm temps myself.  It's was handy.  Major annoyance to see Red hot icon every time I look at the page.  I need to go and check if they are really hotter than normal, or still within the acceptable range I've had for the last few years.

UnMenu allowed me to set the warning and the alarm temps myself.  It's was handy.  Major annoyance to see Red hot icon every time I look at the page.  I need to go and check if they are really hotter than normal, or still within the acceptable range I've had for the last few years.

I am doing that myself with unmenu as well :)

How do you deal with different brands/models having 'different' ranges ?

Say you change the critical threshold from 50 to 60 for brand A, because it is 10 degrees off, meanwhile your brand B fries at 55C... Be careful not to fool yourself!

Say you change the critical threshold from 50 to 60 for brand A, because it is 10 degrees off, meanwhile your brand B fries at 55C... Be careful not to fool yourself!

In my case (pun intended), i have 9x the same 4TB disks...

In my case (pun intended), i have 9x the same 4TB disks...

But the design needs to fit everyone. I do have a mixture of WD and Seagate, and may move to Hitachi in the future, surely there are more users like that.

The true answer lies in having a temperature calibration feature for each drive. We are basically monitoring the wrong temperature for certain brands/models (did anyone complain about that in the past?), if corrected in the first place the subsequent alarms are correct too.

Sounds as a feature request to Limetech :)

No, i don't think so. Bottom line is, you or your software shouldn't decide wheter a drive is in some sort of fixed 'danger' zone. You should provide us with a common accepted treshold that will fit 90% of us, but it should be made variable and adjustable.

No, i don't think so. Bottom line is, you or your software shouldn't decide wheter a drive is in some sort of fixed 'danger' zone. You should provide us with a common accepted treshold that will fit 90% of us, but it should be made variable and adjustable.

Sorry that is not me or my software deciding about anything. If you believe the widely accepted thresholds for disk operation are incorrect, go and discuss it with the manufacturers.

I'm not fooling myself, nor anyone else.  I find your stance odd.  Because being able to calibrate the warning might mean in some cases the warnings aren't right, you prefer to fix the warnings at an arbitrary level so that in many cases the warnings are always wrong.

I've had 4 years of unMenu custom defined warnings and alerts for my disks, it's worked perfectly. 

Actually, if you gave the option to set every disk, I'd still use just a generic range that catches everything I need it to catch and not go down to an individual level.

Sorry that is not me or my software deciding about anything. If you believe the widely accepted thresholds for disk operation are incorrect, go and discuss it with the manufacturers.

Er, it is you deciding to use some arbitrary catch all range that doesn't have any flexibility for those in warmer climates.

Like I said, unusable for me and I'm sure many others.

No matter, it's your sw and you can do what you want.  No dramas. I'm not too fussed really, just trying to offer constructive feedback, no matter how difficult it seems to be with Dynamix.

I'm not fooling myself, nor anyone else.  I find your stance odd.  Because being able to calibrate the warning might mean in some cases the warnings aren't right, you prefer to fix the warnings at an arbitrary level so that in many cases the warnings are always wrong.

I've had 4 years of unMenu custom defined warnings and alerts for my disks, it's worked perfectly. 

Actually, if you gave the option to set every disk, I'd still use just a generic range that catches everything I need it to catch and not go down to an individual level.

I am not saying you are fooling yourself, just the general notion that changing a level may give unwanted side effects.

I would say if you are used to monitor everything using unMenu, just keep doing it that way. Makes all of us happy.

No matter, it's your sw and you can do what you want.  No dramas. I'm not too fussed really, just trying to offer constructive feedback, no matter how difficult it seems to be with Dynamix.

Yep... there is constructive discussion possible with this guy. He says he appreciates feedback, but if you tell him something he doesn't like, he consideres it as a personal attack on his creation.

I am not saying you are fooling yourself, just the general notion that changing a level may give unwanted side effects.

I would say if you are used to monitor everything using unMenu, just keep doing it that way. Makes all of us happy.

I'm actually looking forward to one of the other GUIs to nature and use those.  As handy as your fork of Simple Features is in the back of my mind I'm worried that you are prone to disappearing without a trace if things don't go your way.

The previous implementation had a single fixed threshold of 50C, nobody complaint because - well there were no alarms.

Of course it is not difficult to change, but not convinced at the same time.

Personally I'd like to see the ability to set specific temperature thresholds myself. Currently I try to keep my disks below 42 degrees. It would be great if it could be tied in with the email alerts system too... Pretty please? ;-)

Ps . just meant as constructive criticism, not a personal attack :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Personally I'd like to see the ability to set specific temperature thresholds myself. Currently I try to keep my disks below 42 degrees. It would be great if it could be tied in with the email alerts system too... Pretty please? ;-)

None of the above I considered personal attack. Though some seem to interpretate like that...

Part of a constructive dialog is to venture both sides of the fence. In this particular case I did wonder what would happen when thresholds are changed and alarms disappear were they should have given (don't you rather have a false positive than no alarm at all?)

At the end of the line I do take things in consideration.

None of the above I considered personal attack. Though some seem to interpretate like that...

Part of a constructive dialog is to venture both sides of the fence. In this particular case I did wonder what would happen when thresholds are changed and alarms disappear were they should have given (don't you rather have a false positive than no alarm at all?)

At the end of the line I do take things in consideration.

Thanks bonienl. You've always been very responsive developer and your hard work is greatly appreciated 8-)

I think that if there is a default value (as you set it) and have an option to change the values as you see fit, then if a user is smart enough to change the default values then he should be smart enough to know and take responsibility for the values he enters and their consequences.

I think that if there is a default value (as you set it) and have an option to change the values as you see fit, then if a user is smart enough to change the default values then he should be smart enough to know and take responsibility for the values you enter and their consequences.

+1 :-)

Have you tried running without VM ?

Not yet. a bit more involved to do that. Have those two plugins been confirmed to work for others (am I the only one with an issue)?

For what it's worth, the SimpleFeatures days, these plug-ins worked without an issue.

thanks for your work Bonienl

• Squid locked this topic