[XEN VM IMG] ArchVM <--- deprecated 01/07/2014

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I hadn't spotted b4 being out.

I'm still v busy with uni for a few more weeks but I will release an update meeting all of Toms sexy new installation procedures asap.

Currently up to my eyeballs learning android development. 

Beta4 Looks great!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

whatcha working on?

I help develop Mahdi rom :-)

Mahdi-Rom

Best practice?

Hi, first of all, a big "thank you" to ironicbadger for all the hard work you put into this. Your guides and posts have helped me a lot in understanding all the possibilities in the unraid6/XEN solution.

Beeing a novice in all of this, I have some questions.

• When running applications (i.e. PMS, nzbget) do you store the libraries, transcoding-files and configuration files in the vm or outside the vm? (Of course the media files in itself are stored in the unraid array) Is there any performance difference in or out the vm?
  • How do you choose the right amount of vcpus, ram, imagesize? Of course, it depends on what you want to do with your VM
  • When do you choose to make another VM instead of fitting it all into one VM?

Sorry if any of these questions already have been answered somewhere else. Again, i'm all new to this and trying to learn the basics of do's and don'ts regarding VMs.

Tia/Lappen

Three things I learnt to link in NFS drives...

a) auto.master should only have the line: "/net -hosts --timeout=60" (which is in the standard file already)

b) you need to add the unraid IP address and server name to /etc/hosts

c) you need to enable NFS in unRAID Settings, then enable NFS in each Share

d) it seems to take a minute or two to find a new Share

e) it works really well - couldn't notice any performance hit

I was hoping to take advantage of autofs as well (followed all steps from the initial guide that Niccarter summarized) after having installed Beta4 but it doesn't seem work for me.

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
::1		localhost.localdomain	localhost
192.168.178.28                          Tower
# End of file

The workaround is working well (with a mount -a 30sec. after boot):

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information

192.168.178.28:/mnt/user/cinema      /mnt/cinema     nfs  rw,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,intr,async,nodev,nosuid 0 0
192.168.178.28:/mnt/user/serien    /mnt/serien   nfs  rw,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,intr,async,nodev,nosuid 0 0
# 192.168.178.28:/mnt/user/tower  /mnt/tower nfs  rw,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,intr,async,nodev,nosuid 0 0

I was just wondering why couchpotato is set to update from a local user directory that doesn't exist? It didn't want to auto update.

Took me a bit to figure out how to change this as I don't regularly use git to do anything.

For those whom want to fix this to have couchpotato update from the master do the following.

Edit the file /opt/couchpotato/.git/config

Under [remote "origin"]

Delete the url = line and add

url = https://github.com/RuudBurger/CouchPotatoServer

CouchPotato should now be able to auto update.

It works fine - I'd mis-typed the IP address in hosts!

Three things I learnt to link in NFS drives...

a) auto.master should only have the line: "/net -hosts --timeout=60" (which is in the standard file already)

b) you need to add the unraid IP address and server name to /etc/hosts

c) you need to enable NFS in unRAID Settings, then enable NFS in each Share

d) it seems to take a minute or two to find a new Share

e) it works really well - couldn't notice any performance hit

... OK, that was five things :)

I'm on b4.  Autofs is finding all of my exported NFS shares from unraid, but I can't access any of them:

[root@IronicsArchVM_v4 user]# ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Apps
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Backups
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Documents
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Incoming
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Installs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Kids_Movies
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Kids_TV
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Movies
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Photos
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 TV_Shows
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr  2 02:50 Videos
[root@IronicsArchVM_v4 user]#
[root@IronicsArchVM_v4 user]# cd Videos
-bash: cd: Videos: No such file or directory

Anyone have any ideas on what to check?

It looks like they're currently being mounted 755 which should give me permissions when logged in as root.  660 would actually take away the execute permissions, so I don't think that's it.

I tried the b3 work around (setting the share to private and putting in the string supplied by limetech), but same result.

I'm curious if anyone is running air video? The reason im asking is due to the fact that im having proplems vewing the videos (all directory videos showing invalid/ but play fine in plex). At first i thought it might have been a SMB issue, but plex is running fine using the same directory. I hit the air video forum and attempted to clear the thumb nail cache in the /.air-video-server directory that hasnt helped either. Im running 6 beta 4. 

Are there stil plans to move away from arch in favor of some other OS for the appliance?

I don't plan too. This isn't an official image or anything its just me in my spare time, its nice that Ive had over 3,500 downloads to date though...

If you wish to move away, then you are free to install any OS you like. If you can do that, then this appliance image isn't really aimed at you. :)

@everyone

Sorry for the lack of replies but its end of semester and deadlines are really ramping up. I'm pretty much MIA until the back end of April. Just FYI.

I'm curious if anyone is running air video?

HAVOC, Airvideo is running great. It was the first app that I installed on the ArchApplianceVM and I can see even HD videos on my iPad. Let me check tomorrow what guide I was using....there was something to consider that I can't remember now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are there stil plans to move away from arch in favor of some other OS for the appliance?

I don't plan too. This isn't an official image or anything its just me in my spare time, its nice that Ive had over 3,500 downloads to date though...

If you wish to move away, then you are free to install any OS you like. If you can do that, then this appliance image isn't really aimed at you. :)

@everyone

Sorry for the lack of replies but its end of semester and deadlines are really ramping up. I'm pretty much MIA until the back end of April. Just FYI.

Oh that's fine, I just thought I read in one of your other posts that you were considering moving away from our church for one reason or another because of the updating or something I guess maybe I was wrong .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm curious if anyone is running air video?

HAVOC, Airvideo is running great. It was the first app that I installed on the ArchApplianceVM and I can see even HD videos on my iPad. Let me check tomorrow what guide I was using....there was something to consider that I can't remember now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks I appreciate it. The weird thing is I installed it and it was running fine on the VM. The other day the wife pulled up a workout on air video and it said invalid. I reinstalled air video with no avail. All the files do work I checked them on my PC. I'm curious if the updates my have screwed it up.

@everyone

Oh that's fine, I just thought I read in one of your other posts that you were considering moving away from our church for one reason or another because of the updating or something I guess maybe I was wrong .

**as my personal host os...

CouchPotato should now be able to auto update.

Thanks Darqfallen

My autofs worked as soon as I added the unraid IP address and server name to /etc/hosts. But it doesn't mount my folders automatically. As long as I run

cd /net/Tower/mnt/user/Movies or any other folder, all of my folders show up. This doesn't work too well with the apps trying to access those folders on boot.

I'm not quite clear why you are asking this question here.  This topic is discussing the ArchLinux VM which Ironicbadger has, very kindly, provided for us, and is a general purpose VM, rather than an appliance..  Arch is one of the better Linux distributions for hosting various daemons, and running headless.  If you wish to run a different distribution in a VM, then search for one that is more appropriate to your needs.

I'm very happy using Arch, doing real work, both in the unRaid/Xen environment (many, many, thanks to Ironic), and on a Raspberry Pi (providing dhcp/dns/pxe/ntp services on my lan, as well as controlling the UPS which powers it and my router).

Thanks I appreciate it. The weird thing is I installed it and it was running fine on the VM. The other day the wife pulled up a workout on air video and it said invalid. I reinstalled air video with no avail. All the files do work I checked them on my PC. I'm curious if the updates my have screwed it up.

I have installed nothing special - just removed openJDK and installed Oracle Java instead.

What is

[root@Arch Kino]# systemctl status air-video-server
? air-video-server.service - Air Video Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/air-video-server.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2014-04-04 10:16:15 BST; 19s ago
Main PID: 2123 (java)
   CGroup: /system.slice/air-video-server.service
           ??2123 /opt/java/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar /usr/share/air-video-server/AirVideoServerLinux.jar /r...

Apr 04 10:16:15 Arch systemd[1]: air-video-server.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=143/n/a
Apr 04 10:16:15 Arch systemd[1]: Unit air-video-server.service entered failed state.
Apr 04 10:16:15 Arch systemd[1]: Starting Air Video Server...
Apr 04 10:16:15 Arch systemd[1]: Started Air Video Server.

Post a syslog. Another thought - where do you have your content...maybe that's your issue too:

@bnevets, I'm having the same effect....as soon as I run cd /net/Tower/mnt/user/xyz-folder, every folder that I have exported via NFS is showing up.

quick heads up, just got tripped up on a arch linux update, they have updated the kernel to  3.13.8-1 now, after you've updated (using pacman -Syu) if your using autofs you will get strange file name/folder name issues when copying from vm to host, solution is a reboot of the vm.

I'm not quite clear why you are asking this question here.  This topic is discussing the ArchLinux VM which Ironicbadger has, very kindly, provided for us, and is a general purpose VM, rather than an appliance..  Arch is one of the better Linux distributions for hosting various daemons, and running headless.  If you wish to run a different distribution in a VM, then search for one that is more appropriate to you needs.

I'm very happy using Arch, doing real work, both in the unRaid/Xen environment (many, many, thanks to Ironic), and on a Raspberry Pi (providing dhcp/dns/pxe/ntp services on my lan, as well as controlling the UPS which powers it and my router).

Please see post 468.

When I asked it was simply a general question.  I got my answer and that's it.  I just never got a chance to respond to ironic yet.  I am not trying to derail this project. Nor am I trying to change it s direction.  Instead I was just checking on something I remember him saying.

quick heads up, just got tripped up on a arch linux update, they have updated the kernel to  3.13.8-1 now, after you've updated (using pacman -Syu) if your using autofs you will get strange file name/folder name issues when copying from vm to host, solution is a reboot of the vm.

Autofs itself updated if I recall!

Autofs itself updated if I recall!

hmm i didnt see an update for autofs oh well, in any case just for the record autofs is working perfectly for me in beta 4, one thing i was going to mention is that i see you specified a timeout flag in your auto.master file, this is not the default (at least not now), i left this flag out as this causes autofs to unmount nfs shares after 60 seconds, which may of actually been tripping you guys up, as i see you then created a script to automatically force a read to prevent the timeout  :o

/net -hosts --timeout=60"

i think the above is incorrect and should simply read as follows:-

/net -hosts

also dunno if you saw this but this issue is resolved now:-

Second, there is about a 30-60 second delay when the VM boots up whilst the unRAID Xen host gives it an IP. There is nothing I can do about this, it is not specific to this VM it must be due to the implementation of bridge-utils on Slackware. Sorry! It annoys me too!

fix was to turn off STP for xen, see tom's comment http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32682.msg300335#msg300335

there is now zero delay, i see the vm get a dhcp lease straight away, i can see ping response from vm as soon as it hits login prompt  ;D