[VM] Owncloud Appliance VM - Based on Debian <--- Deprecated as of May 2014

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok, I seem to have fixed it with Debian wiki, it appears that the /etc/fstab file gotten corrupted at the end and I had to add ,hard,intr,async,nodev,nosuid 0 0 for it to work also I installed apt-get install nfs-common portmap

now it mounted my shares.

However now I am getting this error Your web server is not yet properly setup to allow files synchronisation because the WebDAV interface seems to be broken.

ok, I seem to have fixed it with Debian wiki, it appears that the /etc/fstab file gotten corrupted at the end and I had to add ,hard,intr,async,nodev,nosuid 0 0 for it to work also I installed apt-get install nfs-common portmap

now it mounted my shares.

However now I am getting this error Your web server is not yet properly setup to allow files synchronisation because the WebDAV interface seems to be broken.

I got it working for some reason the fstab entries were bad. Looked through the ArchVM thread and found this it worked for me.

10.0.0.2:/mnt/user/Media        /mnt/unraid     nfs rw,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,intr,async,nodev,nosuid 0 0
#//10.0.0.2/Media       /mnt/unraid     cifs    rw,guest,uid=owncloud,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,noperm 0 0

that seems to be a debian thing as I am seeing that to on my ESX tests. Clear as mud how to fix so far, I am sure it will be simple in the end.

What ports need to be opened up I have SSL enabled through the tutorial linked?

This kind of question worries me and is a fundamental concern i have about how easy we are making things now with VMs. I mean no offense in any way but in my humble opinion we are entering dangerous territory here.

Once people start putting servers onto the internet there is a basic skill level required to do it safely and securely that cant be rolled up into a half page forum how to.

Not knowing what port SSL is on means you really should not be doing what you are trying to do.

The answer is 443 but I caution you to take a breath and consider what you are doing and if you are ready for it and as happy that you understand the risk you are taking.

Everyone needs to start somewhere but

Thank you. Owncloud deleted.

Why not start simpler. Have owncloud internal thats super safe and a great learning experience in itself.

Then as a next step look at a VPN for remote access and on the way you will start to learn how to do all this stuff safely..... and the community will have to time to get into how this works once we get out of beta.

Everyone has to start somewhere its just with pre rolled VMs we are making it very easy to deploy stuff and potentially very risky as well.

Thank you. Owncloud deleted.

Why not start simpler. Have owncloud internal thats super safe and a great learning experience in itself.

Then as a next step look at a VPN for remote access and on the way you will start to learn how to do all this stuff safely..... and the community will have to time to get into how this works once we get out of beta.

Everyone has to start somewhere its just with pre rolled VMs we are making it very easy to deploy stuff and potentially very risky as well.

Oh okay so internally it's safe. Sorry it just seemed like what you were saying I was headed a wrong road. I appreciate the insight. Keeping us safe.

I was able to get owncloud working with a ssl certificate I generated so I should be secure when exposed to the net.

I also installed the Logitech Media Server.  This mini-VM is working just fine with it's small footprint.

Now I need to understand more about owncloud.

EDIT: Understand that there is a lot more to security than the SSL certificate.  Be sure you understand all aspects of securing your server before exposing it to the internet.

I'm running xenserver 6.2, can i use this pre rolled vm on it ? i guess i would need to edit the .cfg file to suit my environment.

I'll eventually move across to unraid being the base os when 6.0 goes final, but i fancied having a play with this own cloud thing on my server (not gonna open it to the net).

Yup.

I was able to get owncloud working with a ssl certificate I generated so I should be secure when exposed to the net.

Having an ssl certificate wont magically secure you o_O

I'm well aware of that.

What I don't like about the certificate I generated is that it is not from a CA and IE complains a lot about that when browsing to owncloud.

I'm well aware of that.

What I don't like about the certificate I generated is that it is not from a CA and IE complains a lot about that when browsing to owncloud.

You might be well aware of it, but it's a (not intentionally) misleading statement, I only pointed it out in case someone saw it and thought if they got an SSL they would then be safe to expose the VM to the internet without doing anything else.

I'm well aware of that.

You might be well aware of it, but it's a (not intentionally) misleading statement, I only pointed it out in case someone saw it and thought if they got an SSL they would then be safe to expose the VM to the internet without doing anything else.

I stand corrected.  There is a lot more to it than an SSL certificate.  I'll modify my post.

I'm well aware of that.

I was going to post the same and got side tracked.

If you are making this public then here are 2 thing you must also be doing:

1. Patching everything from OS regularly

2. Monitoring for breach attempts and acting accordingly

I worry that both of these things need skills beyond what can be transferred in a forum post.

that seems to be a debian thing as I am seeing that to on my ESX tests. Clear as mud how to fix so far, I am sure it will be simple in the end.

I don't fully understand the security implications if any here, but this post seems to fix the webdav error.

https://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18542

I didn't use this prerolled VM in the end and went with a virgin install of wheezy via url install in xencenter.

what i did find easier for the connection to unraid samba share was to install smbclient as well as cifs-utils and then (after adding the external storage app in own cloud, took me an age to figure that one out) add the share as smb/cifs instead of local and enter my credentials in the web gui.

like thus:-

Screen_Shot_2014-02-17_at_20_29_23.png.d815e660a57429e69a62512c6ff62339.png