Single DB file for XBMC on unRAID

keyman33

Hi guys,

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but you guys are so good I figured I'd throw it out there!

I have a few Raspberry PIs running XBMC that are pointed to my unRAID.  It's working well.

What I'd like to do is have a centralized, single XMBC database file on the unRAID so that all the Raspberries are "synchronized".

But I can't seem to figure out how to do it.  Any ideas?

The xbmcsalud plugin might be handy for you too.  Basically a headless xbmc instance running in unRAID which keeps the db well scaped and updated without the need for one of your rpi to run library updates.

Do you know if there is a way to run this outside of UnRAID? With everyone moving plugins to VMs it would be great to still have this option on an UnRAID VM without having a full XBMC instance running.

The xbmcsalud plugin might be handy for you too.  Basically a headless xbmc instance running in unRAID which keeps the db well scaped and updated without the need for one of your rpi to run library updates.

Do you know if there is a way to run this outside of UnRAID? With everyone moving plugins to VMs it would be great to still have this option on an UnRAID VM without having a full XBMC instance running.

I believe the plugin is based on a headless xbmc build that's documented in the xbmc forum.

This is a great question I've been wondering as well. Maybe you can run a xbmc instance in a vm and send updates to that? I think that should solve that issue.

It can be done and is being done in the wider XBMC community.  But having only 1 prod unRAID server I'm waiting for someone else to develop an XBMC VM that will work under Arch/unRAID before migrating.

The other option mentioned here is to use the standard xbmc build in a VMware, disabling as much as possible.  Lightest skin possible and send it to blank/sleep asap.  then have the Library Updater add-on running and/or the SB/CP/HP send update messages to that instance.  The advantage of this solution is that you are not reliant on someone to hack the existing XBMC releases into a headless one.