Jump to content
Rick Sanchez

Silent Build: Silverstone DS380 Build [DAEDALUS]

105 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, garycase said:

Note:  I spent a bit of time looking and couldn't find it, but I could swear I've seen a mini-DTX motherboard (just slightly larger than a mini-ITX … and supported by your DS380 case) that has TWO PCIe slots (one x16 and an x1).

 

If you could find one of these, you could use a 4-port SATA controller in the x1 slot and possibly have enough drive capacity, providing the motherboard had 5 or 6 onboard SATA ports.

 

I also thought of a 3rd alternative for option (1) in my previous post … use USB v3 connections to add additional drives beyond the 6 native SATA connections.   USB v3 is supported by UnRAID, and the speed of this interface compares favorably to a direct SATA connection.    Your motherboard has 2 v3 ports, and you could use a powered USB3 hub if you need more than 2 extra drives.

 

Personally, if you want to stay with the DS380, I'd either simply limit yourself to 6 drives (thus using the onboard SATA ports), or connect any additional drives via USB v3, and use the PCIe port for your video card.   This lets you keep your current case and your current motherboard, and should work very nicely.

 

 

I have bought the CS380 case, hence my problems lol

3 hours ago, garycase said:

 

Definitely sounds like a shorting issue (or a loose connector -- as I noted earlier, be sure BOTH of the motherboard power cables AND both of the PCIe connectors for the video card are firmly connected).   

 

 

 

I hope that is the case!

 

9 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Assuming you want to keep the same processor and RAM and want a board with IPMI, you may want to look at the SuperMicro X10SLH-F

 

It has 3 PCIe slots.

 

ASRock doesn't appear to have any C226 boards with IPMI in a form factor larger than Mini-ITX.  If you don't really need IPMI, they have several C226 workstation boards in mATX and ATX.

 

Thank you :) I will investigate this :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:
8 hours ago, garycase said:

 

Definitely sounds like a shorting issue (or a loose connector -- as I noted earlier, be sure BOTH of the motherboard power cables AND both of the PCIe connectors for the video card are firmly connected).   

 

 

 

I hope that is the case!

I hope so too -- and it seems very likely since you've confirmed the PSU is good.

 

 

4 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:
14 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Assuming you want to keep the same processor and RAM and want a board with IPMI, you may want to look at the SuperMicro X10SLH-F

 

It has 3 PCIe slots.

 

ASRock doesn't appear to have any C226 boards with IPMI in a form factor larger than Mini-ITX.  If you don't really need IPMI, they have several C226 workstation boards in mATX and ATX.

 

Thank you :) I will investigate this :)

 

Note that this motherboard will require switching to another case, since it's a mATX motherboard that won't work with your CS380.    As I noted earlier, I'd simply use the onboard SATA ports plus the USB v3 ports to connect your disk drives; and the single PCIe slot for your video card -- assuming, of course, that everything is working okay when you re-mount it all in the case after carefully testing it.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, garycase said:

Note that this motherboard will require switching to another case, since it's a mATX motherboard that won't work with your CS380.

The DS380 is Mini-ITX only.  The CS380 (his new case) will hold Mini-ITX, mATX and ATX motherboards.  I know, my main server is in a CS380. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Is the X10SLH-F the best board for my requirements as I don't want to upgrade anything that I don't have too :) 

I assumed your requirements were:

  • Support your current CPU (Xeon E3-12xx v3/v4)
  • Utilize your current RAM (you might want to the check the RAM compatibility list for the board just to verify)
    • Even if it is not on the list, if it meets the RAM specs for the board, it will likely work.  I am using RAM on both my motherboards which is not on the official tested list for the boards and it works well.
  • Have at least 2 PCIe x8 slots for video card and HBA
  • IPMI

The X10SLH-F has all of the above.  If your requirements are different, perhaps there are other boards that would work.

Edited by Hoopster

Share this post


Link to post



The X10SLH-F has all of the above.  If your requirements are different, perhaps there are other boards that would work.

It's also one of the only X10 boards with the C226 chipset that supports a Xeon with on board video for hardware transcoding. I was looking at that board but just decided to upgrade to X11 and sell old memory and old board.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, dmacias said:


 


It's also one of the only X10 boards with the C226 chipset that supports a Xeon with on board video for hardware transcoding. I was looking at that board but just decided to upgrade to X11 and sell old memory and old board.

1

 

Why did you upgrade to the X11?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

The DS380 is Mini-ITX only.  The CS380 (his new case) will hold Mini-ITX, mATX and ATX motherboards.  I know, my main server is in a CS380. 😀

I missed that he'd switched cases.   His post of 22 Nov indicated the case was a DS380.   Clearly if he's got the CS380 he can switch to a mATX motherboard with no problem … although whether that's necessary or not depends on whether he needs more than 8-10 drives, which could easily be supported with the 6 onboard SATA ports and the USB v3 ports.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Is the X10SLH-F the best board for my requirements as I don't want to upgrade anything that I don't have too :) 

Another option to consider is upgrading your CPU on your current board.  I also have the E3C226D2I board in my backup server.  It has a CPU with an iGPU and it works on this board for Plex hardware transcoding.  You could upgrade to a Xeon E3-12x5 v4

 

That would eliminate the need for a PCIe slot for a GPU, unless you need that to pass through a GPU to a VM, gaming, etc.  You could then use the 1 PCIe slot on your board for an HBA.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Another option to consider is upgrading your CPU on your current board.  I also have the E3C226D2I board in my backup server.  It has a CPU with an iGPU and it works on this board for Plex hardware transcoding.  You could upgrade to a Xeon E3-12x5 v4

 

That would eliminate the need for a PCIe slot for a GPU, unless you need that to pass through a GPU to a VM, gaming, etc.  You could then use the 1 PCIe slot on your board for an HBA.

 

I have 8x 3.5" drives and 1x SSD.

 

I need the graphics card for a VM/Gaming.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

 

I have 8x 3.5" drives and 1x SSD.

 

I need the graphics card for a VM/Gaming.

Well then, you need a larger MB with more PCIe slots or try the garycase suggestion 😀

 

I have never tried attaching array drives to a USB3 port. Unassigned devices, yes, but never data or caches drives.

Share this post


Link to post

I have purchased the X10SLH-F motherboard as advised :) - £196.94

 

Thanks for your help!

 

Now to sell everything that I no longer require.

Share this post


Link to post
 
Why did you upgrade to the X11?
It was mostly limited availability. Ebay seller canceled and refunded on me. Didn't want to pay for a new one. Plus there were some benefits to a newer chipset and cpu and faster memory.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I have purchased the X10SLH-F motherboard as advised :) - £196.94

 

Thanks for your help!

 

Now to sell everything that I no longer require.

That should do the trick nicely.

If you're going to sell your old board, I presume you've confirmed that it's working okay … this discussion started with it not working in the new case -- hopefully that was just a short (perhaps an extra standoff that wasn't removed) or a loose connection.    Hopefully you've got that resolved, or will have by the time the new board arrives.

 

… with only 9 drives I'd have probably just kept your old board and connected 3 of the drives via USB3, but the newer board will provide much better expandability.   FWIW I also haven't used any USB3 connected drives on my servers, as I have plenty of SATA connections, but my understanding is that UnRAID supports v3 for array drives, and the interface speed for USB3 is well above the max transfer speed for any rotating platter drives.    However, since you've already upgraded your case from a DS380 to a CS380 (I had missed that), it really doesn't matter, other than the cost of the new board.

 

Share this post


Link to post
The server is up and running but I can't access it via folders or the GUI.
 
Any ideas?
You're gonna need a monitor or configure your router to use the new mac address of the server and old ip address. Could try IPMI console too by connecting to the ip address of the bmc.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, dmacias said:
14 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:
The server is up and running but I can't access it via folders or the GUI.
 
Any ideas?

You're gonna need a monitor or configure your router to use the new mac address of the server and old ip address. Could try IPMI console too by connecting to the ip address of the bmc.

 

Luckily, it's all plugged into a monitor etc :)

Share this post


Link to post
 
Luckily, it's all plugged into a monitor etc
I would still try adding a static ip in your router using the mac of the new board.

Share this post


Link to post

Network cable was in the IPMI port 🙄

 

How do I check if all of the drives are in their correct locations? 

 

My Brother took the machine apart to fast and neither of us photographed the drive locations, doh!

They have stickers on them with drive serials etc.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

How do I check if all of the drives are in their correct locations? 

Location should not really matter.  unRAID tracks drives by serial number not any particular port or sdx number.  Those can be variable.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

So, just boot then?

Boot it and see how the system comes up.  It should be OK if all the disks are the same as before.  If you have an unRAID status email from the system before the upgrades, you can verify against that to make sure all disks (parity and data) are still assigned by serial number to the appropriate array slot.

 

Something like this:

 

Event: Unraid Status
Subject: Notice [MEDIANAS] - array health report [PASS]
Description: Array has 5 disks (including parity & cache)
Importance: normal

Parity - HGST_HDN728080ALE604_xxxxxxxx (sdh) - standby [OK]
Disk 1 - WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_xxxxxxxx (sdg) - standby [OK]
Disk 2 - WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_xxxxxxxx (sdf) - active 31 C [OK]
Disk 3 - WDC_WD80EMAZ-00WJTA0_xxxxxxxx (sde) - standby [OK]
Cache - SAMSUNG_SSD_830_Series_xxxxxxx (sdd) - active 28 C [OK]

Parity is valid
Last checked on Fri 15 Feb 2019 05:06:31 PM MST (7 days ago), finding 0 errors.
Duration: 16 hours, 6 minutes, 30 seconds. Average speed: 138.0 MB/s

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/25/2019 at 7:36 PM, Hoopster said:

Boot it and see how the system comes up.  It should be OK if all the disks are the same as before.  If you have an unRAID status email from the system before the upgrades, you can verify against that to make sure all disks (parity and data) are still assigned by serial number to the appropriate array slot.

 

Something like this:

 


Event: Unraid Status
Subject: Notice [MEDIANAS] - array health report [PASS]
Description: Array has 5 disks (including parity & cache)
Importance: normal

Parity - HGST_HDN728080ALE604_xxxxxxxx (sdh) - standby [OK]
Disk 1 - WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_xxxxxxxx (sdg) - standby [OK]
Disk 2 - WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_xxxxxxxx (sdf) - active 31 C [OK]
Disk 3 - WDC_WD80EMAZ-00WJTA0_xxxxxxxx (sde) - standby [OK]
Cache - SAMSUNG_SSD_830_Series_xxxxxxx (sdd) - active 28 C [OK]

Parity is valid
Last checked on Fri 15 Feb 2019 05:06:31 PM MST (7 days ago), finding 0 errors.
Duration: 16 hours, 6 minutes, 30 seconds. Average speed: 138.0 MB/s

 

 

 

I''m receiving errors:

 

All disks are missing...

 

How can I check that the hard drives are connected properly, or should I use 'New Config'?

 

Edited by Rick Sanchez

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

 

I''m receiving errors:

 

All disks are missing...

 

How can I check that the hard drives are connected properly, or should I use 'New Config'?

 

I am not the expert on this, but with New Config, make sure you know which disk(s) are the parity drive(s) and do not accidentally assign them as data disks.  Parity drives have no file system.

 

It does not matter to which data disk slot you assign the existing disks, the data will still be intact and your array will function as before.

 

DO NOT format any disk if prompted to do so.

 

I am going to refer you to @trurl for further instructions on how to bring your array back up with the same drives as before after a hardware upgrade.  Mine just always came right up as before with no additional steps required.  Since I have not done it, I don't want to give you bad advice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

How can I check that the hard drives are connected properly,

Have you checked your syslog for any disk related errors? Do all expected disk show up, but, they are just flagged as 'missing' when unRAID boots up?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.