why does //tower not work?

When you see that, then check what's the IP address of the default gateway for those 3 computers.

You can then point your web browser to that IP address, and you'll most likely see the configuration web page of the router.

That works! Thanks!

Network prefs shows the router address (never paid much attention to it before).

And punching that number into Fire Fox gets me my "router" page which list all the devices on it even though most are off except the Mini, the HDR and my G4 (this one)..  Only one is static ( my printer) all others are DHCP.

So this will show the address of the unRaid, which I assume will change every time it's rebooted.

Did I miss something? How do I make the address perminent?

So this will show the address of the unRaid, which I assume will change every time it's rebooted.

Did I miss something? How do I make the address perminent?

If you don't want it to change, set the DHCP server of the router to give a static IP address to the MAC address of the unRAID's NIC.

Or, you could set up unRAID not to use DHCP, and assign a static IP address there.

If you don't want it to change, set the DHCP server of the router to give a static IP address to the MAC address of the unRAID's NIC.

Or, you could set up unRAID not to use DHCP, and assign a static IP address there.

I don't see anyway to change addresses on the router page.. It looks like it is just reporting what it sees and that's it. I Tried clicking on everything I could find but it looks like the only address I can change it the main LAN not individual devices.

• 9 months later...

I see that the host file needs to be changed when on a Mac.  Is this related to why I can't access my server using //tower/ on my iPad or iPhone?

You can access it on iPhone/iPad - it's just a bit cumbersome

you have to type your server ip into the URL instead of the word "tower" - and you need to do this every time you click a link...

Ok where exactly does this need to go "a couple of lines from the bottom add this"? This is what is written in my host file.

##

# Host Database

#

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.

##

xxx.x.x.x localhost

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx broadcasthost

::x            localhost

fe80::1%lo0 localhost

I put xxx in the i adresses. I am guess in between the local host and broadcast host on the top?

• 5 months later...

so - lion is out - this doesn't seem to work on lion anymore  :'(

... any ideas?

- my hosts file still contains the edited line

- using safari 5.1, unraid5b10, lion os x

There was a report in the 5b10 thread about having to move it up the list and above a few things.  I don't have Lion as of yet, and don't plan to update for a while so you will have to do some searching and confirmation on your own.

:D

is working again

my file looks like this:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
I.P.A.d.d.r.e.s.s tower      < -------------------------------
127.0.0.1	localhost
255.255.255.255	broadcasthost
::1             localhost 
fe80::1%lo0	localhost

other positions might work as well - this was the first try

I actually don't have the static address set on the unRaid server itself.  I can reserve certain IP's on m,y network via MAC address in my routers settings.  That is how i actually control what IP the server is getting.

I do the same thing. I highly recommend that option if it's available.

Are there more detailed guides/solutions for this? Thanks.

I posted a similar thread on this a while ago but never fully resolved the problem.  I am not on a mac, using Win 7. 

//tower and //tower:8080 would never work.  Accessing via IP address would work.  The problem was unMENU seems to set it's hyperlinks based on the server name so every time I clicked on a new menu link, I had to wait for it to fail and then change the server name to the ip address.

Once I changed my name from "tower" to something else, it all worked.  However, I could never get the name "tower" to work. 

Any ideas what my problem could be?

//tower and //tower:8080 would never work.  Accessing via IP address would work.  The problem was unMENU seems to set it's hyperlinks based on the server name so every time I clicked on a new menu link, I had to wait for it to fail and then change the server name to the ip address.

on the flash drive in the unmenu folder you should be able to find/create an unmenu_local.conf file (I just duplicated the unmenu.conf file).  From there you can open it and edit the myHost line I believe.  That should fix the above issue.

Not any idea.  Something is holding onto the name "tower" and it sounds like it can't resolve correctly.

on the flash drive in the unmenu folder you should be able to find/create an unmenu_local.conf file (I just duplicated the unmenu.conf file).  From there you can open it and edit the myHost line I believe.  That should fix the above issue.

Not any idea.  Something is holding onto the name "tower" and it sounds like it can't resolve correctly.

Thanks.  I'm moving along OK as is with a different name, so no need for me to go edit the unmenu.conf file.  However, I don't like leaving unexplained problems with workarounds out there because sometimes they have a habit of coming back up.  I don't have the name "tower" set up anywhere else.  Where would I look for the conflict?

That probably sounds pretty open ended but this isn't a huge network.  I have two switches connecting a Dune Player, WDTV, printer, unRAID, a Win 7 PC, and 2 or 3 other laptops/pc's that come on and off the network periodically with DHCP.  None of them have ever used the computer name "tower."

Is there somewhere to clear this out of my PC where I'm having these issues?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  I'm moving along OK as is with a different name, so no need for me to go edit the unmenu.conf file.  However, I don't like leaving unexplained problems with workarounds out there because sometimes they have a habit of coming back up.  I don't have the name "wer" set up anywhere else.  Where would I look for the conflict?

That probably sounds pretty open ended but this isn't a huge network.  I have two switches connecting a Dune Player, WDTV, printer, unRAID, a Win 7 PC, and 2 or 3 other laptops/pc's that come on and off the network periodically with DHCP.  None of them have ever used the computer name "tower."

I have had the exact same problem until just now.  You need to make sure that your Windows 7 machine is in the same exact workgroup as unRAID.  If not, Windows will "protect" you from accessing a strange and dangerous alien system that is foreign to its local group, even though it's on the same LAN.  Right click on "My Computer" and check what workgroup you're in.  Then go into "Settings" in unRAID and set the Workgroup to the same name.  Do a quick ping -a xxx.xxx.xx.xxx to force Windows to register your unRAID server's name, and you should be good to go.

Thanks.  I'm moving along OK as is with a different name, so no need for me to go edit the unmenu.conf file.  However, I don't like leaving unexplained problems with workarounds out there because sometimes they have a habit of coming back up.  I don't have the name "wer" set up anywhere else.  Where would I look for the conflict?

I have had the exact same problem until just now.  You need to make sure that your Windows 7 machine is in the same exact workgroup as unRAID.  If not, Windows will "protect" you from accessing a strange and dangerous alien system that is foreign to its local group, even though it's on the same LAN.  Right click on "My Computer" and check what workgroup you're in.  Then go into "Settings" in unRAID and set the Workgroup to the same name.  Do a quick ping -a xxx.xxx.xx.xxx to force Windows to register your unRAID server's name, and you should be good to go.

I think they are the same workgroup, but maybe I got that screwed up (I intended them to be the same).  I'm out of town but will check Thursday night when I'm home again.

Thanks !

• 4 months later...