Cant start unRaid

I shut down my server to replace a possible faulty sata cable. Now I can't get unRaid to start. All I get is a message from IPMI- "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media device and press a key".

Ive shut everything down and rechecked all the connections. Tried a backup flash drive. Even tried reverting to a clean unRaid install. Anybody have any ideas?

Enter BIOS and select the Flash drive as the boot device.

Thanks. The problem is getting into bios. On startup there are a few screens that flash up just for half a second or so. I'm guessing that one of those has a selection for entering bios but there is no time to type anything much less read the instructions. I found a IPMI users manual that says press DEL but it doesn't say when? Since I've never needed to adjust any bios settings I'm not exactly sure what to set or how to get to the proper menu. I'm also concerned that the settings have become corrupted in the first place, everything was working fine prior to last nights shutdown.

I may just start pushing different keys during startup and see what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to recognize the bios settings window if I see it.

You can often select BIOS from the IPMI menu - if not, then as soon as you power the computer on start mashing Delete. It's right near the beginning of the boot cycle where you get the option.

Once in your BIOS go to boot devices. You may need to go to Hard Drives and confirm that your USB is Hard Drive #1, then on boot devices you should be able to select the USB drive as the first boot device.

After that, save your config, reboot and you should be good to go.

Thanks. The IPMI manual has a pretty good description of how to set USB as boot device. Just a little unclear about how to get to the bios menu.

Any ideas how I can prevent this from happening again? Or why it happened in the first place?

Finally got into the bios setup menu. What a royal pita. Wound up being the F11 key to access the menu. Thanks to everyone for your help. Anyone have any ideas why the boot order changes? I actually got unraid to launch one time, but of course I had a missing drive (another bad sata cable). Shutdown unraid to replace the cable and it refused to launch again. Something I'm doing must be causing these constant changes to the boot order. I just don't know how to prevent this behavior.

Finally got into the bios setup menu. What a royal pita. Wound up being the F11 key to access the menu. Thanks to everyone for your help. Anyone have any ideas why the boot order changes?

I have an Asus board that changes the boot order any time anything changes. It's a Royal pain.

Solution: Change the motherboard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Finally got into the bios setup menu. What a royal pita. Wound up being the F11 key to access the menu. Thanks to everyone for your help. Anyone have any ideas why the boot order changes?

I have an Asus board that changes the boot order any time anything changes. It's a Royal pain.

Solution: Change the motherboard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is a new and rather expensive motherboard so I don't think its going to get replaced very soon. My wife would probably go off like a rocket if I told her I needed a new one.:D

Is there a mobo with an 1150 socket and vt-d support that doesn't constantly change?

If what bjp999 isn't possible with your MB try the following:

Try turning off "Interrupt 19 Capture" in your bios - page 4-5 in your MB manual.  Make sure "USB hard disk" is the first boot device and all other boot options are set to disabled - page 4-26 in your MB manual.  Actually instead of "USB hard disk" see if you USB flash drive is listed by name and use that.  I was just looking at your manual examples for boot options.  What you see might be a little different from that.

I couldn't find any way to reconfigure the flash drive as Removable, still set to USB Harddrive. Interrupt 19 Capture is disabled. The flash drive is set as the first and only boot option, all other options and priorities are disabled.

34xkjgw.jpg

I tried using "UEFI Sandisk Cruzer" but that booted into something completely different, so I reset to "USB Hard Disk Sandisk Cruzer". Hopefully this is the configuration you've all been recommending.

If I haven't said it before- I really appreciate everyones help with this.

Archived