XBMC Headless Server - Docker

Installed it.  It took a while to get it up and running.  Even though I modified the advancedsettings.xml with the ip address and port and username/password for mysql/mariadb  it would not access the unraid movie/tvshows folders.  I had to add a passwords.xml to the userdata folder as well.

<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://TOWER/Movies</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://[color=red]username[/color]:[color=red]password[/color]@TOWER/Movies/</to>
    </path>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://TOWER/TVShows</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://[color=red]username[/color]:[color=red]password[/color]@TOWER/TVShows/</to>
    </path>
</passwords>

Then I could not connect to the webserver, so I followed the instructions in the readme.txt.

* Advanced: If you have problems reaching the web-server then xbmc is binding to the wrong address. Try adding the following after `--privileged`: `-e BIND_ADDR=ipaddress -e LD_PRELOAD=/opt/xbmc-server/bind.so`

That finally worked but Couchpotato would not communicate the xbmc server unless I disable/remove the password requirement for the webserver.  So now when I run a test from Couchpotato or NZBdrone it comes back as passing.  I still have not tried having CP or Nzbdrone add a file and send the command to xbmc to update the library.

I was able to get mine working today.  It did require a little bit of fiddling.  I realized that I had pulled down the master branch, yet I was trying to run the container as Gotham.  Once I pulled down Gotham, my docker command ran fine (didn't have to use the extra BIND ipaddress parameters)

Both Sickbeard and Couchpotato are communicating so far.

Is it still working fine ?

Has anyone elae tried this ?

Yeah I been running this image from this developer for 3 months now. It works fine.

You can specify the release you want, in the pull command

docker pull wernerb/docker-xbmc-server:gotham

docker pull wernerb/docker-xbmc-server:frodo

just don't use the web interface.

oh, so cp,sb etc can't send notification s to this server ?  Not a deal breaker as long as I can get the server to update itself every 33mins or so, but it sort defeats one of th purposes of being a central server

They can.  I did not try sickbeard since I switched to nzbdrone.  the only one that had trouble was couchpotato, but removing the password from xbmc allowed CP to send the notifications to the server to update.

OK so I am unclear now. what is stopping the web API as TBH on a headless XBMC this is likely the most important thing for most people

Not sure I follow what you are asking.  My observations from playing around with the xbmc-server has led me to the following conclusions.  Nzbdrone can send an update notification to the xbmc-server with or without a password being assigned to the xbmc-server.  Couchpotato can only send an update notification to the xbmc-server if no password is assigned to the xbmc-server.

Do you mean the headless XBMC web interface, or the docker web interface to get it working in the first place?

Now that I see a headless XBMC install in docker, I think i'll strongly consider trying to move to docker....though i JUST got sickrage/couchpotato almost working well with torrents and my seedbox.

Do you mean the headless XBMC web interface, or the docker web interface to get it working in the first place?

Now that I see a headless XBMC install in docker, I think i'll strongly consider trying to move to docker....though i JUST got sickrage/couchpotato almost working well with torrents and my seedbox.

the xbmc web interface. It is very slow and keeps dropping the connection, so it's just best to leave it alone.

Just thought I'd post my findings. Here's the command I used to start the docker, no bind was necessary

docker run -d --name="xbmc" --net"=host" --privileged -v /mnt/domains/appdata/xbmc:/opt/xbmc-server/portable_data  wernerb/docker-xbmc-server:gotham

I am able to send notifications with passwords from dockers apps and vm apps.  The only thing I wasn't clear on was the advancedsetting.xml but I found it in his github and used that. Once I added sources.xml and modified advancedsettings.xml everything works.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wernerb/docker-xbmc-server/master/xbmcdata/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

I'm not sure if advancedsettings.xml was supposed to be created like the guisettings.xml, profiles.xml, RssFeeds.xml etc. I know its not in a normal xbmc install but the directions implied it might.

Just thought I'd post my findings. Here's the command I used to start the docker, no bind was necessary

docker run -d --name="xbmc" --net"=host" --privileged -v /mnt/domains/appdata/xbmc:/opt/xbmc-server/portable_data  wernerb/docker-xbmc-server:gotham

I am able to send notifications with passwords from dockers apps and vm apps.  The only thing I wasn't clear on was the advancedsetting.xml but I found it in his github and used that. Once I added sources.xml and modified advancedsettings.xml everything works.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wernerb/docker-xbmc-server/master/xbmcdata/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

I'm not sure if advancedsettings.xml was supposed to be created like the guisettings.xml, profiles.xml, RssFeeds.xml etc. I know its not in a normal xbmc install but the directions implied it might.

I must have done something wrong, I copied the above and afterwards I inserted the advancedsettings and sources and then ran the command again, but now I am getting this output

2014/06/28 10:10:32 Error: Conflict, The name xbmc is already assigned to ceda17531a06. You have to delete (or rename) that container to be able to assign xbmc to a container again.

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/appdata/xbmc/userdata# docker run -d --name="xbmc" --net"=host" --privileged -v /mnt/cache/appdata/xbmc:/opt/xbmc-server/portable_data  wernerb/docker-xbmc-server:gotham

don't quite understand why. Or don't I have to run that command after I inserted those files to get it to restart? I did do docker stop before I tried to run it again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hope someone can help that has got this running successfully. I realise this is an old thread but seems the issues were similar but pre-dockermanager.

I am running v6Beta10a on a HP N54L rig and have finally got all my dockers running perfectly with the exception of xbmc-server. My end game is to build a headless and fully automated home media server/NAS serving multiple static xbmc's around the house and plex on tablets/ipads/mobiles so I can shutdown my power hungry desktop for good. I need a shared db with state information but not too bothered about plex/xbmc keeping seperate libraries.

I am a linux noob but getting by ok now that I have got my head around how file mounting works in Linux and it seems like I am only a stones throw away from my end goal but still struggling with the final piece which is the headless xbmc-server. I have installed wernerbs unsupported docker on default settings but I cannot get CP and NZBDrone to talk to it and I cannot access the gui either (and do I even need to?).

A netstat from an SSH shows the server is listening on tcp 8089 and I have tried testing with and without a password in the "advancedsettings.xml" file but with no joy. Nothing in the xbmc logs and only timeouts in CP/NZBD.

I suspect this is the BIND issue (see below)but have no idea how to apply the fix when using gfjardims excellent dockermanager (which is what swung me in favour of unRAID over Freenas btw). I suspect  I need to put it something in the xml template in dockermanager, can someone please advise how I do this?

"Advanced: If you have problems reaching the web-server then xbmc is binding to the wrong address. Try adding the following after --privileged: -e BIND_ADDR=ipaddress -e LD_PRELOAD=/opt/xbmc-server/bind.so"

Also, how and where do I setup the xbmc-server to scan my library/shares to populate the mariaDB?