Random error message started showing up in Log related to "avahi-daemon"

Hi,

Just noticed that suddenly I have this error message repeating over and over in the log:

Jul  2 22:28:13 Tower avahi-daemon[8475]: server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading known answer record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Jul  2 22:28:45 Tower last message repeated 4 times

Jul  2 22:29:49 Tower last message repeated 8 times

Jul  2 22:30:54 Tower last message repeated 9 times

I've attached a full syslog too (after multiple reboots).

I've tried doing a check disk on the USB drive, powering down, updating dynamix and unmenu. Still appears. Attached Log is after doing all this

I tried rebooting and still the same error message popping up. I have tried replacing the network cable.

Never seen it before, and don't have any issues. I'm running unraid 5 final with Dynamix. Been running this server for a few months. Reading more it seems like Avahi is related to AFP and/or IOS stuff, which I have never enabled.

Any ideas? I found one person who posted the same/similar error in the v6 forum but no explanation/solution that I could find.

Should I be worried? Thanks

syslog-2014-07-02.zip

I couldn't figure out why I was getting this message anymore but I found a line to add to my go script that turns off avahi and that made it go away. I don't have many IOS products and my wifes macbook can still connect to the unraid server via smb anyway. She doesn't use timemachine so I was happy with this resolution.

Here is the line I added:

for i in /etc/rc.d/rc.avahi* ;do :>$i ;done

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same error, but I want to use TimeMachine so I do not want to turn it off as mentioned above.

Any idea what it is?  Over and over...

Jul 23 14:48:05 Server avahi-daemon[1455]: server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading known answer record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Jul 23 14:48:37 Server last message repeated 2 times

Jul 23 14:49:42 Server last message repeated 4 times

Jul 23 14:50:46 Server last message repeated 4 times

Jul 23 14:51:50 Server last message repeated 4 times

Jul 23 14:52:54 Server last message repeated 4 times

Jul 23 14:53:58 Server last message repeated 4 times

Jul 23 14:55:02 Server last message repeated 4 times

BTW, I added "for i in /etc/rc.d/rc.avahi* ;do :>$i ;done" to the end of my GO file and rebooted.  It did not stop the error.  ???

Thanks

I actually forgot I believe I tested this before I started this thread, but it's possible I missed a device (as I have several). Would be curious to see anyone else try it. I know I turned off my wife's mac when testing.

• 1 month later...