[REQUEST] Musicbrainz

There's a docker already partially configured for Musicbrainz, but apparently it requires some additional software installed to completely work.  I'm forking this from the other request thread at NAS' request.  My last post about it was:

I'm running the vmware vm currently on a windows box, and it appears that I still get 503 errors occasionally, although much less often than with the live server.

There IS a musicbrainz docker, but it's kind of a PITA to set up.  I've got the first parts done, just need to get a good, working DBDefs.pm file set up for it.  My current VM is using about 34g of space total (that's everything tho, not sure how much is database, and how much is OS), and it's up to date as of about 2am last night.  It takes FOREVER to update the database from the 05/14 VM release to current, then build the search indicies.  But to me it's well worth it if it keeps me from hitting that spam protection 503 error every half second, lol.

The docker is located here:  https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/rickatnight11/musicbrainz-server/

I'll see if I can get it up and running, if I do, I'll post notes on how to go about it.  It's not going to work with the nice extended dock config, as you have to access the docker container directly to edit files, and start replication, etc.

Looks like even with a properly configured DBDefs.pm, the docker (as it's set up anyway) doesn't include postgresql in the install, so there's no database or connection configured.  I'm guessing the original creator of this docker has a postgresql docker set up on his system with the required database already configured in it, and this docker just connects to that instance.  Adding postgressql to the docker is above my pay grade, so hopefully someone else can take what he's started, and create a docker that will run out of the box, with postgresql and all that installed, ready to go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I see that you have a beta for musicbrainz, haven't looked at it yet, just noticed it on your beta repo.  Had any luck with it yet?  Between that and a Win7 VM, those are the only things I'm still running that way (the win7 VM is only for me to test stuff from an outside-work PC, see how something looks/acts for an 'end user').

It'd be nice to get the 60g VM image closed out for musicbrainz and just have the database up and running that can be queried by headphones (a lot of trouble for one docker to access, but sure beats the lookup failures you get otherwise with a large music collection).

I see that you have a beta for musicbrainz, haven't looked at it yet, just noticed it on your beta repo.  Had any luck with it yet?  Between that and a Win7 VM, those are the only things I'm still running that way (the win7 VM is only for me to test stuff from an outside-work PC, see how something looks/acts for an 'end user').

It'd be nice to get the 60g VM image closed out for musicbrainz and just have the database up and running that can be queried by headphones (a lot of trouble for one docker to access, but sure beats the lookup failures you get otherwise with a large music collection).

It's a beast..... not working yet, but haven't given up.

• 5 months later...

Setting up the server looks like a PITA

On the bright side, they provide a KVM image: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Server/Setup#Running_with_QEMU.2FKVM

I think it's easier to just run the VM image they provide

Try using the supplied VM file, and do a full update including artwork.  The small image size they used won't hold the latest database with all data.  I'd definitely rather have a docker of this than the VM I current use (I rolled my own from source, was a pain in the butt, but it's current as of a week ago, and seems to run fine, just uses more resources to run a whole VM rather than as a docker).

My current data directory is just over 50g, if that helps you out..

i'm not giving this any more time, everything i try with this POS is a dead end, lulls you with building succesfully only to not run.

it takes over an hour to run each build, just to have the damn thing not work everytime.

i even got to the stage where i could import data, only at the end for it to say you need to be superuser to complete this task, so i made the user a superuser and tried again, it then told me you cannot run this task as superuser.

• 11 months later...