KVM help next week, who wants it?!?

jonp

I'm looking to build a "swat team" so-to-speak, of sophisticated beta testers that want to help test with me on VMs and pass through scenarios on KVM.  If you are interested, reply here and provide your hardware details (mobo, GPU, processor, RAM, etc) and your desired VM setup if you already have one (Windows/Linux desktop, SteamOS, OpenELEC, etc.).

Thanks!!

I'll volunteer!

unRAID: 6.0-beta9 Plus

MOBO: ASRock H77 Pro4-M

CPU: Intel i7-3770s 3.10GHz

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB

PSU: CORSAIR CX430M |

Looking to have a Windows 8.1 VM with (Nvidia 8800 GT and USB sound passthrough) (I also have a Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 in the event the 8800 GT does not work).

I currently have a Windows 8.1 VM with an old ATI HD 3540 working and for whatever reason it is passed through without having it set to vfio-pci

I'm interested .

unRAID: 6.0-beta9 Pro

MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F 

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230 v3

RAM: Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB 8GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz ECC DDR3

CACHE Drive: 120Gb + 180Gb Intel 520's Btrfs pool (300Gb Total)

HDD: 6 x 4Tb WD SE's 3 x 3tb WD RED's

Desired VM. Win 8.1

Vpcus: 6

RAM: 12GB

Passthrough

NIC: 1gb Intel® i210AT

SATA Controller: 2x SATA (6Gbps),

GPU: SAPPHIRE HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 or Nvidia GTS250

I had previously tested various scenarios under XEN but keen on a switch to KVM I am in the process of building my desired  VM over the next few nights. 

I'm looking to build a "swat team" so-to-speak, of sophisticated beta testers that want to help test with me on VMs and pass through scenarios on KVM.  If you are interested, reply here and provide your hardware details (mobo, GPU, processor, RAM, etc) and your desired VM setup if you already have one (Windows/Linux desktop, SteamOS, OpenELEC, etc.).

I'm not sure I'm sophisticated, but I'm interested.

Machine Specs:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

XFX ATI HD5450 PCIe

AMD FX-8320 Black

Crucial DDR3 8GB 1333 ECC

I've currently got a Windows 7 VM w/PCIe Sound card passed through.

I'm curious to know how the swat team would work. I'm going to be out of town til Monday also.

As already said via pm, I'm in!

Hardware

MB: ASUS AM1M-A (90MB0IR0-M0EAY0)

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350, 4x 2.05GHz

RAM: 8GB Corsair

SATA Expansion: Digitus DS-30104-1, PCIe x2

Desired Setup

Looking for a setup to pass through the AMD iGPU to my Windows VM. Without installing another GPU to Unraid

Edit: want so pass a BluRay drive to the Windows VM

MOBO: ASRock E3C226D2I

CPU: Xeon E3-1240 v3

RAM: 8 GB

Graphics: ASPEED AST2300 (on mobo)

I'm mainly interested in running a basic LAMP stack, not sure if that is enough of a test for you though.

If the built-in graphics on this motherboard can handle it, I wouldn't mind a full Linux desktop.

I'm saving my one PCIe x16 slot for a SATA controller.  What I really need is for someone to make a video / sata combo card :)

Happy to try to help out.

Mobo : ASRock Z87E-ITX

CPU : i7-4770T

RAM : 2 x Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 (BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0)

PSU : Silverstone Tek Strider Series ATX12V/EPS12V 550W

Graphics Card: Radeon HD6450

Currently have XBMCbuntu running in VM with USB passthrough of Flirc for remote control and USB Blu-ray player (the player connection drops after an hour of play or so).

Have tried Debian (but have resolution issues).

Ubuntu ran fine but PHT (plex home theater) was slow and crashed occasionally. Would love to get PHT up (on a linux build) and running instead of XBMCbuntu. PHT then can connect to the PMS docker :)

Also would like to try to get iGPU working.

This is great.  Glad to see so many people willing to jump on this.  I'm just wrapping up my trip today here in San Diego at our HQ with the team and when I get back I have a plan of attack to write up for us for next week.  The goal is to get you guys up and running with VMs and help overcome common challenges.

One requirement we will have for this is that everyone who wants this help will need to upgrade to beta 10 when we release it.  Stay tuned...

This is great.  Glad to see so many people willing to jump on this.  I'm just wrapping up my trip today here in San Diego at our HQ with the team and when I get back I have a plan of attack to write up for us for next week.  The goal is to get you guys up and running with VMs and help overcome common challenges.

One requirement we will have for this is that everyone who wants this help will need to upgrade to beta 10 when we release it.  Stay tuned...

Sounds like fun! On a side note, I am totally planning on adding "sophisticated beta tester" to my forum profile...

I wouldn't say that i am sophisticated, but i know my way around a computer (learning linux systems as i go)

i just received my motherboard this morning, so here are my specs

Mobo: Supermicro X8DTN+

RAM: 48GB of ddr 3 ram

CPU: (2) 5670 processors (2.93Mhz 6 cores each)

sata cards: (2) Supermicro Sat2-mv8 cards (i have 3 more coming from ebay that i won for $15 total)

will need a graphics card for hdmi out

I would like to have the following systems

1) UnRaid (obviously)

2) Plex/XBMC (or Kodi) (hdmi and optical are already ran into the server room) (media server)

3) Sickbeard, headphones, sanzdb

4) Mac OSX (maverick) for blu ray rips, web browsing, etc) over ip

I know that the hardware is overkill for unraid, but i figured 2 cores to it (possibly 1) and then the rest of the cores for everything else

like i said, i do not consider myself sophisticated, but this is what i want to accomplish and will be proud to be a beta tester / swat member if you will have me

should have my server set up this weekend (i have to either win a supermicro chassis on ebay tonight, or modify my norco 4020 to fit an enhanced extended atx board, but i can figure that out)

KingPin

I would like to volunteer.

unRAID: 6.0-beta9 Pro

MOBO:  ASRock - Z87 Extreme6

CPU:      Intel® Core i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz

RAM:    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB

Cache:  BTRFS (240GB Kingston SSD)

desired os:  Windows 7 with Media Center

available video adapters for passthru:

AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RV635 [Radeon HD 3600 Series]

AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450]

NVIDIA Corporation GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] (rev a1)

would also like to try to passthru:

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

DVD or Blueray

USB 3.0 ports

Wireless keyboard/mouse

Ok guys, I need to check in with Tom today to see where we stand on the next beta, but we can get started with Beta 9 as-is.

We are working on uploading our latest build of the OpenELEC image file that we've built as a test image for all users to experiment with.  Here are some of the features:

• It is based on the OpenELEC Live Disk image, but was modified for optimization in unRAID.
  • These modifications included eliminating the "choose boot method" option and instead boots directly into XBMC.
  • We also enabled custom drivers (VirtIO, VirtFS, VFIO) for our virtualization technologies within the image (we compiled our own image).
  • We disabled the auto-update option (intentionally, as this would not work given how the image is configured).
  • When accompanied with the appropriate XML file for libvirt, this VM will boot and map two VirtFS bindings to your host
    • /unraid in the guest will map to /mnt/user/ on your host
    • /storage in the guest will map to /mnt/user/appdata/openelec/ on your host and will store your XBMC library, add-ons, etc.

[*]all paths outside of /storage will be marked "read-only".

[*]The entire image is < 300MB in size

Now, what has been holding this up has been a few things:  ReiserFS bug fixes, netatalk updates, business trip to San Diego, and a desire to build this as a PLG that users can install from the extensions page on the webGui.  It would download the image and a webGui tool for configuration (selecting your GPU/Audio/USB pass-through devices, changing your directory paths, etc.) 

Instead of holding this up further while we work on the PLG, I'd like to get the image itself out to you guys to test with as soon as possible.  I think this proves a very cool and unique use case with unRAID and I know some of you are eager to see it working.

I'm hoping to get this image uploaded today.  While I work on that, please let me know what questions you guys have ahead of time.  Want to make sure I covered all the pertinent stuff...

I have never used OpenELEC before so I just did some googling... Sounds like it is a custom built OS to run XBMC, correct? I have always used Plex and haven't found a reason to mess around with XBMC. That said, if you would like me to test it out on my system to get a larger hardware test group, I am happy to! If so, it may be beneficial for both LT and myself if you give examples on what / how you would like us to test the system.

Same as me , using Plex and standalone MP (TwiX and ATV3), but this will be good for testing! I have a pair of HDMI over CAT, but never install this, would be something for the weekend to fire up the VM on my 60" TV!

However, Started to play with Windows and passtrough GPU, now this is annoying since I don't get any image longer on my monitor, but the GPU is pastrough when I verified when connect with RemoteDesktop. Don't know what have been change since 2 version back?

Will see what next release do ;-)

//Peter

XBMC household here (boo to Plex!..  ;D )

Anyhow I'm all for the testing, and will play with the customized XBMC build.

GPU pass-through and complete server lockups got old, so I haven't played in a while.

Hopefully this is not the case with using OpenElec or the custom build.

My non pass-through Win7 VM has been rock solid for quite a while now.

Jon, any news here? I'm really excited seeing all that moving forward.

I failed with trying Passthrough of these devices (..at least for Win7/8):

• NVIDIA Corporation GF106GL [Quadro 2000] (rev a1) - result: blank screen
  • Mystique SaTiX-S2 V2 CI Dual (DVB card was recognized in Windows 8 but wasn't starting)
  • DVD Rom Drive (no luck at all, I was trying: virsh attach-disk win8 /dev/sr0 hdc --type cdrom

However I would like to pass all these devices to my Ubuntu based media center (yaVDR). Openelec is a great way of testing.

Jon, any news here? I'm really excited seeing all that moving forward.

I failed with trying Passthrough of these devices (..at least for Win7/8):

• NVIDIA Corporation GF106GL [Quadro 2000] (rev a1) - result: blank screen
  • Mystique SaTiX-S2 V2 CI Dual (DVB card was recognized in Windows 8 but wasn't starting)
  • DVD Rom Drive (no luck at all, I was trying: virsh attach-disk win8 /dev/sr0 hdc --type cdrom

However I would like to pass all these devices to my Ubuntu based media center (yaVDR). Openelec is a great way of testing.

I probably picked just about the worst week to try and accomplish this with everyone.  We are busting our butts to get 6.0 completed and I will be traveling again this weekend for a funeral out of town.  UGH!

Bottom line:  work is ongoing on this, but our company resources are focused on getting 6.0 out right now.  We need to have a virtMan that is the equivalent of dockerMan and we just don't have time to get this done before 6.0 release.

Sorry for the false start on this one, but I will make it up to you guys.

Nothing to sorry about Jon. Sorry to hear this about the funeral.

No, I do owe you guys an apology.  I asked for you guys to line up, you did, and now I'm not delivering and I feel like a total jerk for that.

That said, it's also unavoidable.

Thank you for the condolences.  It was my grandmother that passed away this month and the memorial service is on Saturday.  When it rains it pours ;-(

So I didn't get to go to the funeral.  Not sure if you guys heard about the 2000 flights that were cancelled on Friday, but yeah, that stopped us from making it.  It sucks, but life must move on.  Good news is we're making good progress on beta 10 and should have it to you guys soon.  When you combine the plugins webvirtmgr and virtman from dmacias with beta 10, you can start to do some pretty cool things all through the GUI.