XBMC/KODI-Headless Docker

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont use a 3rd party tool :)

Ive been using XBMC for as long it existed and one thing I have learned is that all 3rd party art and nfo tools break. Sometimes this takes a long time but they all break or become unsupported at some point.

I dont know your use case but you might find with some effort you can do everything with Kodi. Personally with url only movie.nfo and tvshow.nfo Kodi magically gets everything 100% correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been using XBMC for as long it existed and one thing I have learned is that all 3rd party art and nfo tools break. Sometimes this takes a long time but they all break or become unsupported at some point.

I dont know your use case but you might find with some effort you can do everything with Kodi. Personally with url only movie.nfo and tvshow.nfo Kodi magically gets everything 100% correct.

That's the biggest piece of nonsense I've ever heard.

I've been using 3rd party apps to change and manage foreign movies for years. Truth is XBMC and Kodi never catch everything properly and hence a manual scrape via a 3rd party app is necessary.

Also a lot of these apps ate written specifically with xbmc/kodi in mind.

Tiny Media Manager is a perfect example.

I've been using 3rd party apps to change and manage foreign movies for years. Truth is XBMC and Kodi never catch everything properly and hence a manual scrape via a 3rd party app is necessary.

for one off movies that wouldn't scrape i used to use a dummy nfo file with blank fields and write my own info and manually add fanart and poster.

now i use mediaelch for that kind of thing.

• 1 month later...

is there any way to turn on debug logging via command or editing a settings file? can't seem to figure out how. sonarr is getting a 401 unauthorized error when sending json requests to kodi-headless and i'm trying to see why.

Use the IP : Port , do not use localhost : Port. Also in docker I get better results using bridged network mode.

is there any way to turn on debug logging via command or editing a settings file? can't seem to figure out how. sonarr is getting a 401 unauthorized error when sending json requests to kodi-headless and i'm trying to see why.

Use the IP : Port , do not use localhost : Port. Also in docker I get better results using bridged network mode.

thanks! i got debugger working. i think it's trying to use 8080 port for the webserver per advancedsettings.xml (part of the do not touch block).

in the docker settings i have for kodi-headless i have port mappings 8080 -> 8081 (because 8080 is by sabnzbd install). this seems to work.. http://192.168.1.2:8081 loads webgui, http://192.168.1.2:8081/jsonrpc is loading the json page. is it ok to leave webserverport as 8080 in advancedsettings.xml or i should change this to 8081? new port alltogether?

how do i go about changing this to something else? just go in and edit the port? or should it be done from the docker settings?

thanks! i got debugger working. i think it's trying to use 8080 port for the webserver per advancedsettings.xml (part of the do not touch block).

in the docker settings i have for kodi-headless i have port mappings 8080 -> 8081 (because 8080 is by sabnzbd install). this seems to work.. http://192.168.1.2:8081 loads webgui, http://192.168.1.2:8081/jsonrpc is loading the json page. is it ok to leave webserverport as 8080 in advancedsettings.xml or i should change this to 8081? new port alltogether?

how do i go about changing this to something else? just go in and edit the port? or should it be done from the docker settings?

the internal (8080) port and external port can be totally different, any traffic routed to the port you assign in the docker template (8081 in your case) gets internally routed to the correct port in the docker, similar in effect if you had a nat routing mapping an external port to a different port internally.

basically just leave it as is in the advancedsettings.xml.

Nonsense? Not in my experience. I have seen 3rd party tools come and go too or not keep pace with new XBMC developments which gets frustrating. In addition, as a lover of Arthouse and non English movies I've not seen the XBMC engine make a mistake now for years.

Nonsense? Not in my experience. I have seen 3rd party tools come and go too or not keep pace with new XBMC developments which gets frustrating. In addition, as a lover of Arthouse and non English movies I've not seen the XBMC engine make a mistake now for years.

I used to keep a blank nfo file as a template for "that movie" that doesn't scrape.

fill in the details that i can manually and either make or find a poster/fanart. thankfully that's very rare as i don't do the obscure so much, lol.

these days i though i use mediaelch on my mac, i use it to make the nfo and get artwork, then manually move the movie to my media folder and use sickbeard to manually update the library.

I used to keep a blank nfo file as a template for "that movie" that doesn't scrape.

fill in the details that i can manually and either make or find a poster/fanart. thankfully that's very rare as i don't do the obscure so much, lol.

these days i though i use mediaelch on my mac, i use it to make the nfo and get artwork, then manually move the movie to my media folder and use sickbeard to manually update the library.

Wow, that's dedication, lol. You should check out my buddies Tiny Media Manager docker container. It runs right in Unraid with a VNC web instance. It works well. Right now he's trying to convert it to use RDP instead of VNC as it runs smoother.

https://github.com/HurricaneHernandez/container-templates

Wow, that's dedication, lol. You should check out my buddies Tiny Media Manager docker container. It runs right in Unraid with a VNC web instance. It works well. Right now he's trying to convert it to use RDP instead of VNC as it runs smoother.

uh huh, i was in on the convo about it in jonp's thread. last i looked it has a way to go.

uh huh, i was in on the convo about it in jonp's thread. last i looked it has a way to go.

Not sure who jonp is, but I've been using it for the last few months, aside from slight input lag due to the nature on web based VNC, it works well.

Not sure who jonp is, but I've been using it for the last few months, aside from slight input lag due to the nature on web based VNC, it works well.

jonp is on the LT team, i tried the container for a little while, but personally didn't like the window manager and found it difficult to use on my mac, it kept switching between the desktops randomly.

jonp is on the LT team, i tried the container for a little while, but personally didn't like the window manager and found it difficult to use on my mac, it kept switching between the desktops randomly.

No, this is not Jonp's container and he was actually surprised at the implementation of this. There are no desktops to switch between in this implementation.

is there any way to remove the password? i see in the advancedsettings.xml it's set

<webserver>true</webserver>

<webserverpassword>xbmc</webserverpassword>

<webserverport>8080</webserverport>

<webserverusername>xbmc</webserverusername>

<webskin>webinterface.default</webskin>

can this be removed/modified in the docker settings? i'm having issues with sonarr notifying kodi. manual json requests work which lead me to this post: https://forums.sonarr.tv/t/add-xbmc-connection-fails/1514 removing the login seemed to have worked.

is there any way to remove the password? i see in the advancedsettings.xml it's set

<webserver>true</webserver>

<webserverpassword>xbmc</webserverpassword>

<webserverport>8080</webserverport>

<webserverusername>xbmc</webserverusername>

<webskin>webinterface.default</webskin>

can this be removed/modified in the docker settings? i'm having issues with sonarr notifying kodi. manual json requests work which lead me to this post: https://forums.sonarr.tv/t/add-xbmc-connection-fails/1514 removing the login seemed to have worked.

<webserverusername></webserverusername>

that should be enough to override the setting in guisettings.xml, but if not, edit the tag there to read the same.

Change the setting by editing the tag to this,

So I don't know if this is a Kodi-headless question or a Headphones question -- I've got Kodi-headless receiving update notifications from CouchPotato, SickRage and Headphones and this all works near-flawlessly.  However, one thing I noticed is that Kodi-headless only has the bare minimum installed in terms of addons.  Movies and TV shows are scraping just fine, and so are albums in my music library, but not music artists.

When Headphones grabs something from a new artist and sends a notification that the download is complete, I'm noticing that Kodi-headless is scraping just the album info, but not the artist info.  In order to pull the artist fanart and info, I have to manually update the music library using one of my frontends.

Looking in the Kodi-headless addons folder, it seems that the Universal Artist Scraper isn't installed.  Since this version is headless, I wasn't sure how to install the artist scraper without the GUI, so I just unzipped the latest version into my addons folder to see if that would do it.

Still seeing that albums are scraped, but not artists.  Is there something else I need to do to enable the artist scraper?  Is the Headphones notification only prompting album-level scraping instead of a full music library update? 

So I don't know if this is a Kodi-headless question or a Headphones question -- I've got Kodi-headless receiving update notifications from CouchPotato, SickRage and Headphones and this all works near-flawlessly.  However, one thing I noticed is that Kodi-headless only has the bare minimum installed in terms of addons.  Movies and TV shows are scraping just fine, and so are albums in my music library, but not music artists.

When Headphones grabs something from a new artist and sends a notification that the download is complete, I'm noticing that Kodi-headless is scraping just the album info, but not the artist info.  In order to pull the artist fanart and info, I have to manually update the music library using one of my frontends.

Looking in the Kodi-headless addons folder, it seems that the Universal Artist Scraper isn't installed.  Since this version is headless, I wasn't sure how to install the artist scraper without the GUI, so I just unzipped the latest version into my addons folder to see if that would do it.

Still seeing that albums are scraped, but not artists.  Is there something else I need to do to enable the artist scraper?  Is the Headphones notification only prompting album-level scraping instead of a full music library update?

upon first run this container generates the default setup files, whilst it is possible to add extras into the image at build time, it wasn't an approach i chose.

there is a roundabout approach to enable any addon you wish.

on a player version of kodi

save out your .kodi folder to a temporary location,

and making sure it's backed up

, copy over the files from this version to your player install.

then enable any addons you want,

and then copy the folder back to this install

, finally restore your backed up files to the player version.

there may be easier ways to accomplish this, but this is what works for me.

Sparkly, i will try this approach aswell. What about updating addons?

The ones that are in the repos, will it be enough just to stop and start the docker? Since these addons update on startup...

And for addons that you have to "install from zip file" would it be enough, after the initial install using your method, to just extract and overwrite the addon-files with the updated files?