Some movies suddenly missing

skank

I got one parity and 5 data disks

Theres a share "Movies"

Yesterday i tried to watch a movie but it said it wasnt there anymore

I checked and indeed, the share doesnt contain the movie anymore

I checked others, and it seems some are missing, dont know how many ..

Parity said it was in sync,

The share is still there, and on data disk 3 it doesnt contain the folder anymore so i think it should be there, not sure though

Any advice what i can do?

I want them back but dont know how, nor did i delete them. and i dont know where they should be

There does not appear to be anything in the log.

Have you tried looking at the contents of disk3 at the Linux level to see if the folders/files appear to be there?  Files do not disappear without some sort of user intervention unless there is a hardware problem on a disk, and there are no signs of that in the log.

Another common cause of files going 'missing' is the user accidentally dragging them into another folder so that they are moved a level down in the folder hierarchy.    It might be worth doing a search at the PC end of the disk3 share to see if this is a possibility?

Is disk3 empty?

Are you sure disk3 used to contain movies?

Did you run a parity check? If so, were there any parity sync errors? (If you haven't run it yet, suggest you run a non-correcting check).

If the answers are yes, yes, yes, and no sync errors, then I would say, somehow or other, the folder was deleted, the disk reformatted, or something. Your next step would be to run a recovery that would attempt to find and recover deleted files. What filesystem does the disk use? Is it the default (reiserfs) or did you set it to XFS?

Suggest you avoid any updates (writes) on your array until you sort this out.

No disk3 isnt empty, non of them are

Free space on disks looks normal

Didnt run a check yet

It is running now with non-correcting

Disks uses indeed reiserfs

I'm not 100% sure its disk 3

But i am 100% sure there are some movies missing

My wife didnt delete anything either

Running check now, if it says no errors then what?

Run a recovery? how?

See from syslog you're running 6b12. Did you ever have b7 or b8? Not sure if the file corruption issue from those versions could cause missing files or not.

Can you name or partially name a specific file you think is missing? Maybe someone could post a linux "find" command you could use to see if the file is really gone or just moved somewhere.

No disk3 isnt empty, non of them are

Free space on disks looks normal

Didnt run a check yet

It is running now with non-correcting

Disks uses indeed reiserfs

I'm not 100% sure its disk 3

But i am 100% sure there are some movies missing

My wife didnt delete anything either

Running check now, if it says no errors then what?

Run a recovery? how?

Not doubting you. I know that you did not intentionally delete anything. But all signs are pointing at some sort of accidental deletion as opposed to a system problem. Even the "share copy" bug (that I found and documented BTW), would cause a zero length file to remain - it would not completely remove the file.

Unless the parity check finds problems (which I am doubting), then it may always be a mystery. It is a good idea to keep backups (as I'm sure you know).

So where to go from here. There is a command line tool called reiserfsck that you can run against a disk. It has a variety of modes. My main experience with it has been in the most catastrophic situation, when the structure of the disk has been corrupted. It has done an admirable job at recovering data. But what you will need is to run it to undelete files. I have never done that, although others in the forum probably have. I would suggest that, if you are technically inclined, that you search for instructions on the tool and read up on how it works and the options you would like to use. I think you would want to start the array in maintenance mode, and refer to the device by its "md" device name (i.e., /dev/md3 for disk 3) when you run it.

Once you have figured it all out, suggest you post back the exact syntax and steps you plan to perform for someone to verify.

If the issue is not on disk3, you would have to run it on other suspected disks. As I understand it, it will create a "Lost+Found" folder with the undeleted files. The file names may or may not be preserved.

Good luck!

See from syslog you're running 6b12. Did you ever have b7 or b8? Not sure if the file corruption issue from those versions could cause missing files or not.

Can you name or partially name a specific file you think is missing? Maybe someone could post a linux "find" command you could use to see if the file is really gone or just moved somewhere.

Just seeing this as I was about to post. Sounds like a good idea if the file is lost in some other directory as opposed to truly deleted!

No never ran b7 or b8

Coming from 5.0.

Parity check didnt find any errors.

However disk space is on all disks looking normal.

It might be somewhere but i cant find those movies.

Can it be hidden or someting?

Or else i dont know. Accidently deleted but then i should have more diskspace no?

All too easy to do if you use drag 'n drop  (I NEVER drag and drop files).

Good idea to keep a good search tool installed that makes it easy to look for files ... that would have saved you a lot of grief here.

I never drag and drop files either. It's just as easy to right-click, copy or cut, right-click, paste. Dragging often winds up with the wrong folder being targeted while Windows automatically scrolls things for you.

Archived