Help, my Disk 2 (sdd) is showing red ball, what do I do?

bobekdj

Been awhile since I've used unmenu, but I seem to recall that there's an option in there somewhere to run smart on a particular drive.

If you can find it, then you can always log into the system via telnet / putty and run

smartctl -a /dev/sdd

Then copy and paste the result

Ok.  I am actually running the test via 6b12 menu under the disk properties itself.  Not sure where it outputs when done other than on my screen?

Been awhile since I've used unmenu, but I seem to recall that there's an option in there somewhere to run smart on a particular drive.

If you can find it, then you can always log into the system via telnet / putty and run

smartctl -a /dev/sdd

Then copy and paste the result

It should tell you when you hit disk capabilities.  One of mine says 341 minutes.  The extended test checks all of the sectors.  You can see its progress under disk self-test log

But, it wouldn't to hurt to throw up the results from disk attributes now while you've got people's attention

412 minutes... lol.

should I just cancel at this point?

attributes to from previous quick scan to come:

It should tell you when you hit disk capabilities.  One of mine says 341 minutes.  The extended test checks all of the sectors.  You can see its progress under disk self-test log

But, it wouldn't to hurt to throw up the results from disk attributes now while you've got people's attention

The smart status looks ok.  There's no reallocated sectors or pending sectors.  There's only one error listed "READ DMA"

Best guess right now:  If you had the syslog when it redballed (before a reset), there would have been a whack of ATA errors in it along the lines of ata11.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED

This usually happens when there's a bad / loose cable and/or the power supply is weak / too many splitters, etc.

I'd wait for the extended smart test to finish and lets see what the results are.

But, right now I'd say that your course of action is going to be to reseat all of the cables to the drive and mobo, and then rebuild the same drive onto itself, while watching the syslog for any errors similar to the above.

Ok... that makes sense.

considering its at 30% i am not sure if it will complete tonight...

So if the smart report in unchanged then I need to shut down, unplug and plug back in each connector.

Then how do I rebuild on itself?  I dont think I see that option.  I have learned in the past to not reset the config because that can cause more errors than good,

- so how do i rebuild the drive onto itself?

The smart status looks ok.  There's no reallocated sectors or pending sectors.  There's only one error listed "READ DMA"

Best guess right now:  If you had the syslog when it redballed (before a reset), there would have been a whack of ATA errors in it along the lines of ata11.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED

This usually happens when there's a bad / loose cable and/or the power supply is weak / too many splitters, etc.

I'd wait for the extended smart test to finish and lets see what the results are.

But, right now I'd say that your course of action is going to be to reseat all of the cables to the drive and mobo, and then rebuild the same drive onto itself, while watching the syslog for any errors similar to the above.

Ok... that makes sense.

considering its at 30% i am not sure if it will complete tonight...

So if the smart report in unchanged then I need to shut down, unplug and plug back in each connector.

Then how do I rebuild on itself?  I dont think I see that option.  I have learned in the past to not reset the config because that can cause more errors than good,

- so how do i rebuild the drive onto itself?

When plugging / unplugging be very careful not to disturb the other connections  (I'm a huge fan of hotswap bays because of this)

To rebuild onto itself, you're going to stop the array.  Change the disk to be not installed and then start the array.  Then you will stop the array, change the drive from being not installed to be the WD30... and start the array.  It will start rebuilding.

Archived