Building a new AMD based Node 804 server, few questions before I'm done.

I'm almost done planning out my first unraid server. My part list is now

Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro-ATX AM3+

CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler

RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G

SATA expansion card: SYBA SI-PEX40064 PCI-Express 2.0 Low Profile Ready SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS GOLD

UPS: CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series CP1350AVRLCD 1350 VA 810 Watts 4 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected 4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS

Storage will be a mixture of Western Digital Red and HGST Deskstar NAS

I plan on using the server to stream media to several XBMC setups I already have around my place, manage sickbeard, sabnzb, a mysql library for XBMC, and possibly get into Plex transcoding for a tablet or two.  At this point I am left with 3 questions.

1)  Is the 6-Core FX-6300 appropriate or is that too much (or too little) power for what I want?

2)  I've planned on 16 GB of RAM just because it seemed like a decent number, but I worry this is a waste of money based on the unraid hardware recommendation of 8 GB of ECC RAM for an application server.  How much RAM do I really need for streaming and occasional transcoding?

3)  I made sure to find a PSU with a single-rail 12V line with good reviews and a sufficient number of SATA connectors, but is 750W overkill for a motherboard with a small closed-loop water cooler, a few case fans, and (at most) 10 hard drives and 2 SSDs?

Looks like a pretty solid build. 

The FX6300 is a good choice.  I was running a FX8320E which is also 95W, but it's 8 core instead of 6, and was actually cheaper than the FX6300 at the time.  It runs unRAID very well, especially Plex transcoding.  If you can get the 8320E, I'd go for that. 

Count in a few dollars for a better heat sink, the AMD retail one is beyond pathetic.  I used an Artic Cooling Alpine 64, which was much quieter than the retail sink, and actually kept the temps below 80C.  The Alpine kept the CPU down in the mid-50s while transcoding.  It is a fiddle to install, but it's worth it IMHO.

16GB RAM is probably overkill unless you're running a load of VMs.  8GB is more than enough.  I'm only using 16GB because I bought it to use FreeNAS, and then decided not to go that way.  Actually, 4GB is fine too, I run 4GB in my test unRAID box and it's never been a problem.

The PSU is over-specced.  I would go for the CS450M or similar.  The 750W will be way out of it's efficiency range.  10 drives all spinning up at the same time will only take, at worst, 150W.  Running they'll use less than 50W, and I'm going by figures I'm seeing with my big Toshiba MC04 drives which aren't anywhere near efficient being enterprise 7200rpm units.  Add on 50-80W for the board and CPU, typical power draw should be about 80W idling with the drives spinning, and probably about 150W when transcoding.  Worst scenario.  Buying a big PSU for the number of SATA connectors is silly when you can buy splitters.  I use one from StarTech: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0086OGN9E and it's perfect.

RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G

According to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795 the mobo only supports 8GB of RAM.

That's wrong.  Those boards came out when 4GB sticks were the largest commercially available.  760G supports 8GB per slot no problems (32GB in boards with 4 slots).

According to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795 the mobo only supports 8GB of RAM.

That's the wrong board. I'm getting the newer revision M5A78L-M/USB3.

If the FX8320E goes on sale in the next week I'm going to get it, otherwise I'm sticking with the FX6300.  For the PSU I've changed it to a Corsair 500W based on HellDiverUK's advice.  I'm trying to choose new RAM right now, and I'm pretty much just debating between 1 8GB stick vs 2x4GB sticks.  Though I could get the full 16GB and experiment with FreeNAS ...

Other than that, I'm all set and about to start ordering parts!

Go with 1 x 8gb stick, I've just upgraded from 8gb in 4 x 2TB sticks to 32gb so consequently have a load of unused RAM.  However you'll lose the dual channel facility in your RAM with just one stick, but it'll make upgrading a whole lot easier if you decide to.

Can't imagine that's terribly important in UnRAID but I might be wrong.

More moving parts (fan(s) + pump) and potential for water leak means more risk for no real benefit. You should not be overclocking. Any modern CPU, with a large surface area cooler and a large slow moving fan will be very quiet. It might even be possible to stay cool enough fanless with just case flow ambient air... cause you know, you need to keep those drives cool too :) 

tl;dr - save the watercooler cash and just go for 16GB. Might still be a bit of a waste but at least you'll be ready for the future