Parity-disable

femin

because of my failing drive, I went out got a 3TB and replaced one of the DATA drive,  but all my drives were 2TB, and it won't let me do that because parity is smaller than the new drive i'm replacing,  so I changed the Parity Drive to 3TB and moved the old 2TB parity drive to the DATA drive slot,  now it ask me to do a COPY from old parity to the new drive.  so i hit COPY,  but now nothing happens.

IT does say copying but it stays at 0%

Szgrrcb.jpg

If I refresh the page, it get back to this again,  i rebooted it several times, samething,  it won't copy or give me any feedback.  please help~!

ctkv8le.jpg

I refreshed after 15 mins or so,  and was hoping to see the % sign to show some progress so I know it's copying,  but instead it takes me back to that page.

i'm thinking it didn't really do the COPY process.  I'll let it sit overnight and see what happens then. 

I refreshed after 15 mins or so,  and was hoping to see the % sign to show some progress so I know it's copying,  but instead it takes me back to that page.

i'm thinking it didn't really do the COPY process.  I'll let it sit overnight and see what happens then.

I am not sure the percentage indicator is actually updated when you refresh the page.

It is going to be a lengthy operation, might be 10+ hours depending on your hardware. Do a page refresh once in a while to see if the operation has succeeded though.

You DID check the "Yes, I want to do this" box before clicking on Copy -- right?

As already noted, this operation will take a LONG time.    Assuming your disks have activity lights, watch them to see if the old and new parity disk's both show activity.    If you don't have activity lights, then clear the Stats (as noted) and see if the reads/writes are showing okay on these disks.

Your graphic doesn't show the new 3TB drive assigned to parity ... but I've never done a swap/disable using Dynamix, so I'm not sure how it displays the drives.

If you're not seeing any activity lights, or any reads/write, then post back with EXACTLY how you initiated this swap-disable [i.e. EVERY step you took ==>  e.g. (1) Stopped the array and unassigned Disk1;  (2)  Started the array so Disk1 was shown as missing;  (3) Stopped the array and ...

Thanks guys,  I don't know why its not showing 3TB but as you see the model number it starts with "MB3000 instead of MB2000"

Here are the steps I took,  I had one of the 2TB drive that was failing so I went out got a 3TB without knowing the parity has to be the biggest drive.

1)  I backed up the 'config/super.dat' and 'config/disk.cfg from flash drive.

2)  stopped the array

3) powered down

4) replaced the failing drive DATA1 disk with the new 3TB Drive.

5) powered up

at this point i was not able to add the new 3TB to the MISSING disk slot, it tells me the size is bigger than the parity drive (2tb),  it suggest be to do a parity swap,  after googling around what I needed was called parity-disable,  to use the 3TB as parity drive and move the old parity drive to the DATA slot. 

so I manually unassign both drive and assigned the new 3TB to Parity and move the old parity to DATA slot.  now at the bottom of the page I checked "YES I WANT TO DO THIS" and hit COPY.  It's been over 10 hours,  still showing nothing,  I'm assuming this is not working somehow. 

Archived