[support] hurricane's Docker Repository

It's strange, when I edit Ubooquity WEBUI line like so:

http://[iP]:[PORT:8085]/Ubooquity/admin

It doesn't actually update the WEBUI link, which still goes to http://[iP]:[PORT:8085]/admin, or am I doing the internet wrong?

there's a local copy (which doesn't seem to get updated with any changes made in the unraid webui) stored in the dockeman plugins folder (can't remember where off the top of my head) and that one seems to take precedence when there's a change made to an existing container.

reported it over in the defect forum.. we'll see what they say ;)

Hey Hurricane, I'm just getting into Docker to see how it works and all that fun stuff. When I install one of your apps, how can i set the URLBase for them?

Lets say i want to access Sonarr by http://tower:9090/Sonarr

Settings - General - URL Base?

Docker is the way to go, plugins are just way too much work these days. Let me know if you need any other help. Sometimes the url doesn't update unless you restart the server. I'm not sure why but it might be something to do with web cache.

Also.. is the plugin author/maintainer abondoning plugins? ;)

Oh ok, Has to be set in the app. So, lets say an app doesn't auto redirect to the URLbase (like Ubooquity) when you click WEBUI from docker it will just fail to load the page? The WEBUI link doesn't update with the urlbase from what I can tell.

As for part two, the biggest issue with the plugins at the moment is having the dependencies loaded into RAM eating up a lot of the system ram.  I  am looking at updating them potentially to move those to /mnt somewhere, but then I have to edit in a bunch of array status code so that plugins don't try to install dependencies or start when the array is offline, which is sort of like re-inventing the wheel.

So, TLDR; not abandoning but looking at how docker works. :)

Sometimes you need to restart the server in order for the new url settings to be applied. I'm not sure why that is. It might have something to do with web caching. PS Plugins are way to much work these days. Docker is the way to go unless a plugin is the only way.

Yea, I'm going to learn docker and possibly change over or setup my own repo perhaps. If I do switch over in the future, that will likely be the end of my plugins. I would just support the ones I have currently for a while longer since maintenance is easy once they are made.

Hey Hurricane, I'm just getting into Docker to see how it works and all that fun stuff. When I install one of your apps, how can i set the URLBase for them?

Docker is the way to go, plugins are just way too much work these days. Let me know if you need any other help. Sometimes the url doesn't update unless you restart the server. I'm not sure why but it might be something to do with web cache.

Oh ok, Has to be set in the app. So, lets say an app doesn't auto redirect to the URLbase (like Ubooquity) when you click WEBUI from docker it will just fail to load the page? The WEBUI link doesn't update with the urlbase from what I can tell.

As for part two, the biggest issue with the plugins at the moment is having the dependencies loaded into RAM eating up a lot of the system ram.  I  am looking at updating them potentially to move those to /mnt somewhere, but then I have to edit in a bunch of array status code so that plugins don't try to install dependencies or start when the array is offline, which is sort of like re-inventing the wheel.

Sometimes you need to restart the server in order for the new url settings to be applied. I'm not sure why that is. It might have something to do with web caching. PS Plugins are way to much work these days. Docker is the way to go unless a plugin is the only way.

Yea, I'm going to learn docker and possibly change over or setup my own repo perhaps. If I do switch over in the future, that will likely be the end of my plugins. I would just support the ones I have currently for a while longer since maintenance is easy once they are made.

if i can do docker, anyone can, lol.

Like to make them?

I want to see just how customizable they are / can be.

humble request. If you do come over and make your own repo, please state why your repo is better/different then the 3-5 other versions of the common apps.  I feel we are hitting the place where there is a lot of confusion why there are 5 Plex dockers.. etc...

But more authors the merrier :)

To be fair though, I use a template for my plugins that is versatile enough for most apps so it's not too much trouble. It's when I need to change the template drastically that things get dicey.

i mainly copy and paste from one dockerfile to another for the basics, dependant on type of container...

ie.. something with apache in it, the main bulk of any container is copy pasted from a previous one and i just ring in the changes to apps etc..

I don't think it's particularly smart to start making all  your own. I think the best you can do is fork other people's and then do pull request if you don't like something or would like to improve something. I have been doing this. I have been removing some of my own containers because other's are more popular and I will change them so that they better suit my needs. That way one container being contributed by multiple people becomes better than one container being supported by one person.  I would love for you to contribute to my repos, you are a great developer.

Like to make them?

I want to see just how customizable they are / can be.

i've made the odd one or two containers here and there.

I don't think it's particularly smart to start making all  your own. I think the best you can do is fork other people's and then do pull request if you don't like something or would like to improve something. I have been doing this. I have been removing some of my own containers because other's are more popular and I will change them so that they better suit my needs. That way one container being contributed by multiple people becomes better than one container being supported by one person.  I would love for you to contribute to my repos, you are a great developer.

Thanks! That's not a bad idea actually, no point in reinventing the wheel from scratch. I just need to get into the code base to see how it all works together (and learn how to fork/pull on git). But I was looking at your dockers to start on.

I was looking to add on some extra settings (like urlbase) and update process for the app itself giving users a quick update option from the docker settings page. Depending on if it's possible.

Hello

Before I embark on installing the Emby docker, I have a couple of questions... I've tried the plugin version and some aspects were successful, some were not. The ones that were not were related to permissions and accessing network repositories for media.

My setup is:

• UNRAID 6.0.1 in workgroup mode (updated from 5.6 tonight). Older hardware and just storage
  • UNRAID 6.0.1 in active directory mode (been 6.x since the betas started). Running on an i3 with 8G ram. Only bought 8 as I hadn't intended to do much more than serve files with it. This is running docker and probably will run a Win8 (/10) VM for media related "stuff". All user shares have AD based permissions set up with inheritance.

I guess my main question is: can the docker application be configured to:

1. access the local drives using an active directory identity; or, if not, at least preserve the permissions inheritance that has been set up so that my in home users can see things? The plugin was creating files and folders as unix:nobody.

2. access remote SMB shares (i.e. the other UNRAID server), using anything for now but will require domain credentials once I AD join that server. Again, permissions on files created is important so that they can be read by clients and the service. I could not make this work at all using either SMB or NFS under the plugin version, but admittedly only spent half a night trying as I knew my SSD was on the way so docker and/or VM would be the way forward.

If this is something that can be relatively easily done I'll go the docker route. Happy to try a few things to get it going.

If not, more than happy to go the VM route and run emby under windows 8 on the second UNRAID box.

Thanks!

Hello

Before I embark on installing the Emby docker, I have a couple of questions... I've tried the plugin version and some aspects were successful, some were not. The ones that were not were related to permissions and accessing network repositories for media.

My setup is:

• UNRAID 6.0.1 in workgroup mode (updated from 5.6 tonight). Older hardware and just storage
  • UNRAID 6.0.1 in active directory mode (been 6.x since the betas started). Running on an i3 with 8G ram. Only bought 8 as I hadn't intended to do much more than serve files with it. This is running docker and probably will run a Win8 (/10) VM for media related "stuff". All user shares have AD based permissions set up with inheritance.

I guess my main question is: can the docker application be configured to:

1. access the local drives using an active directory identity; or, if not, at least preserve the permissions inheritance that has been set up so that my in home users can see things? The plugin was creating files and folders as unix:nobody.

2. access remote SMB shares (i.e. the other UNRAID server), using anything for now but will require domain credentials once I AD join that server. Again, permissions on files created is important so that they can be read by clients and the service. I could not make this work at all using either SMB or NFS under the plugin version, but admittedly only spent half a night trying as I knew my SSD was on the way so docker and/or VM would be the way forward.

If this is something that can be relatively easily done I'll go the docker route. Happy to try a few things to get it going.

If not, more than happy to go the VM route and run emby under windows 8 on the second UNRAID box.

Thanks!

Anything is possible within linux with enough effort. Your scenario is very specific to your setup so the only real way to find out is to try it out.  I'm sorry but I can't provide a specific set of guide lines for you to follow. I can try and point you in the right direction though. First, the docker container by default runs the instance of emby with UID 99 and GID 100 as it's the default for all unRAID applications, but the option to change it is there and that might be useful to you. Secondly, emby can be setup so that all it does is server up files, meaning it only really needs read permissions to your media directories. It can save the metadata in a sqlite database and server the data to the clients from there, so write permissions to write xmls or nfo wouldn't be required this also means that you would need an alternative option to manage your metadata which I'm sure you already have.

Interesting - thanks!

Yeah my environment is basically a full AD scenario. So having stuff work in an integrated fashion is quite important! You are spot on with the meta data too - I use MediaCenterMaster for that (have since I started using Media Browser over MCE on Vista years ago!).

I'm sure I am going to run into similar issues for Sickrage and a few other automation toys I was looking at.

For this specific case, I guess my immediate questions are:

- how would I go about changing the UID and GID?

- how would the container access networked resources - can it access via SMB using the Id it is running as?

Completely understand if this is all too hard - I'll look at a VM for some of this at the same time and may experiment in parallel. I have much of this running already but would rather it ran server side than on my main MCE client machine...

Thanks!

Interesting - thanks!

Yeah my environment is basically a full AD scenario. So having stuff work in an integrated fashion is quite important! You are spot on with the meta data too - I use MediaCenterMaster for that (have since I started using Media Browser over MCE on Vista years ago!).

I'm sure I am going to run into similar issues for Sickrage and a few other automation toys I was looking at.

For this specific case, I guess my immediate questions are:

- how would I go about changing the UID and GID?

- how would the container access networked resources - can it access via SMB using the Id it is running as?

Completely understand if this is all too hard - I'll look at a VM for some of this at the same time and may experiment in parallel. I have much of this running already but would rather it ran server side than on my main MCE client machine...

Thanks!

UID and GID are change using environment please visit the docker page or install the plugin and view the advance option.

In terms of the mounts, docker doesn't your host os should. You just need to expose whatever volumes you wish to the container.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been testing out the Emby docker (thanks for the great work) and have a similar question to one of the other posters. I've set the volume mappings and most things work well but I can't play older dvd vidoe_ts or iso files through kodi. The Emby forum suggests that providing a network path so the files can be played directly would help but I can't seem to get smb to work. Is a network folder something a docker should be able to access? If so what path would I use?

Not at this moment the container is very robust and works well and individuals update to the newest version by downloading the newest jar file into the config folder. Is there a feature that your specifically looking for the the current container doesn't fulfil

its fine i didn't realize you could just download the newest and replace on the config folder

I've been testing out the Emby docker (thanks for the great work) and have a similar question to one of the other posters. I've set the volume mappings and most things work well but I can't play older dvd vidoe_ts or iso files through kodi. The Emby forum suggests that providing a network path so the files can be played directly would help but I can't seem to get smb to work. Is a network folder something a docker should be able to access? If so what path would I use?

I believe you need to run the container with the network option set to host and within emby you need to setup path substitution

I believe you need to run the container with the network option set to host and within emby you need to setup path substitution

I've got it set to host and path substitution is what I'm trying to setup. I'm "testing" it by trying to add various paths in the folder section. The network button doesn't find anything and adding smb:\\ or \\IP address doesn't seem to work either.

• 2 weeks later...