open-vm-tools as unraid standart

uldise

Hi,

i know, Zeron is doing great job, but maybe it's time for open vmware tools included on standard unRaid?

i know, lot of us are using unRAID as esxi quest, but to upgrade to every next version with linux changes, i should wait for Zeron's compilation...

Hi,

i know, Zeron is doing great job, but maybe it's time for open vmware tools included on standard unRaid?

i know, lot of us are using unRAID as esxi quest, but to upgrade to every next version with linux changes, i should wait for Zeron's compilation...

Unlikely since most users don't need it and limetech will not want to support it.

Unlikely since most users don't need it and limetech will not want to support it.

can you explain a bit more?

if my esxi shuts down from esxi side, then i think i need these tools, let esxi host do a clean shutdown of unRAID, or not?

ok, i have an apccupsd running on one of VM's, so no problem with power outage - i can shutdown unRAID from outside with powerdown plugin in place..

can you explain a bit more?

I think with virtualisation features now being built into unRAID a much smaller proportion of the user base is likely to be using VMware in the future.  The new features make it more likely that there will be new uses who are looking for a much simpler environment that esxi provides.

Also, as was mentioned it adds to the development burden on LimeTech as it gives them a new environment they would need to test all their builds against, and they would also need to provide some level of support for the tools.

I think with virtualisation features now being built into unRAID a much smaller proportion of the user base is likely to be using VMware in the future.  The new features make it more likely that there will be new uses who are looking for a much simpler environment that esxi provides.

Also, as was mentioned it adds to the development burden on LimeTech as it gives them a new environment they would need to test all their builds against, and they would also need to provide some level of support for the tools.

don't underestimate esxi as it is one of the most powerful virtualisation environments :)

i use free version, but i think there are lot of us using paid VMWare version too..

i can live with that as it is, and wait until Zeron provide us with new plugin :)

any other opinions?

don't underestimate esxi as it is one of the most powerful virtualisation environments :)

i use free version, but i think there are lot of us using paid VMWare version too..

I am not underestimating as I have paid VMWare licenses as well  :)  I just think that going forward not many new unRAID users will go the ESXI route.

I am not underestimating as I have paid VMWare licenses as well  :)  I just think that going forward not many new unRAID users will go the ESXI route.

but how about existing users? :) so we need new version of Zeron's plugin every time when linux version changes..

and this open-vm-tools is a part of every linux these days i think...

VMWare recommends use open-vm-tools on linux guests too instead of tools included with vmware..

I dont think you get it...

There are only a handful of users running unraid as a guest of esxi.  Vmware tools will never get embedded into unraid.

thanks for sharing Steven..

BTW, a newest version of Unassigned devices plugin recognizes my esxi vmware vmdk boot disk now :) 

Archived