CrashPlan

agw

thanks, I will try it this week, maybe Friday.  I would like to make a suggestion that you edit the instructions on page 3 to include the script on page 4 so that everything is in one place for future use.

thanks for taking the time to write this all up, with any luck I will have it up and running Friday.

Or update the wiki.  I'm wanting to use Crashplan in the near future, but I have to admit, the thread is confusing as to what guide is the most current.  The wiki that was started also begs the question of what is current?

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only caveats I can think of :

- I believe the crashplan client autoupdates? oviously this will never stick across reboots. It may be an exercise to crontab the creation of a new tarball periodically based on your current install

Got some ideas but would probably need someone with more linux experience than I to Implement/create the script/process.

Thoughts - at least for clean shutdowns:

1. Add to the rc shutdown process K## something or other

a. Copy current crashplan tarfile to crashplan-datestamp.tgz for versioning and quick recovery if needed

b. tar up current crashplan directory & the /var/lib/crashplan so you have a current crashplan tarball

c. [optional] delete any crashplan-datestamp.tgz files that are over X days, or alternate would be any over a certain number

This way, whenever you cleanly shutdown, you have the current version of crashplan and it is all automatic...no need to worry about if it was auto-updated or not

Thoughts, ideas?

Not sure which rc it would need to go into, and would need to have the rc updated on each reboot so need some "code/script" in the go script.

I am having a problem at step 6

6.  Now copy the files that have been created by the install of ssh by typing cp --preserve=timestamps /etc/ssh/* /boot/custom/etc/ssh.  If such a folder (/boot/custom/etc/ssh) does not exist either create it or point the cp command somewhere else to save the files.

I created folders "custom/etc/ssh"in the main boot directory.

Here is what I am getting

open cp --preserve=timestamps /etc/ssh/* /boot/custom/etc/ssh failed: No such file or directory.

Saving the key failed: cp --preserve=timestamps /etc/ssh/* /boot/custom/etc/ssh.

I am having a problem at step 6

6.  Now copy the files that have been created by the install of ssh by typing cp --preserve=timestamps /etc/ssh/* /boot/custom/etc/ssh.  If such a folder (/boot/custom/etc/ssh) does not exist either create it or point the cp command somewhere else to save the files.

I created folders "custom/etc/ssh"in the main boot directory.

Here is what I am getting

open cp --preserve=timestamps /etc/ssh/* /boot/custom/etc/ssh failed: No such file or directory.

Saving the key failed: cp --preserve=timestamps /etc/ssh/* /boot/custom/etc/ssh.

If you have unmenu installed use it to install SSH. It is much easier and works great.

try using the below if you do not want to use unMenu:

cp --preserve=timestamps /etc/ssh/* /boot/custom/etc/ssh/

I used unMenu for all of the package installs mentioned. Was quite easy.

I have gotten CrashPlan to backup my laptop (Vista) to unRAID.

Have not rebooted unRAID yet to verify that will persist properly.

I do have a couple other questions:

1. Adding other machines, just need to install the crashplan windows client?

2. Do I have to do any port forwarding (putty work) on the new clients (I would not think so)

Sorry for being an uber-lurker until now.  I love crashplan and all of my family members back up to my home server (just ordered the parts for an unRAID box - so no experience with it yet!)

Has anyone tried running crashplan using unRAID as a NAS instead of running the software on the actual unRAID box itself?  I don't believe backups will run slower, but I think the weekly maintenance the software runs on itself may be slower over gigE.

Obviously having 1 box do everything is ideal, but I do like to have a Windows Server around, and since I have it setup already, I figured it may be easiest overall for me to just run the client on one box, and using unRAID as just a NAS in this case.

Any experience with Crashplan storing it's data on a NAS device?

Ok, I got CrashPlan installed and now I am stuck at your script on page 4.  I opened automator but I don't see where to choose "new custom"

Sorry, those direction were written when i was running 10.5 and Apple has changed Automator a little but.

When you open Automator choose the "Service" option. Also, make sure to change the "Service receives" at the top of the script to "no input"

Sorry for being an uber-lurker until now.  I love crashplan and all of my family members back up to my home server (just ordered the parts for an unRAID box - so no experience with it yet!)

Has anyone tried running crashplan using unRAID as a NAS instead of running the software on the actual unRAID box itself?  I don't believe backups will run slower, but I think the weekly maintenance the software runs on itself may be slower over gigE.

Obviously having 1 box do everything is ideal, but I do like to have a Windows Server around, and since I have it setup already, I figured it may be easiest overall for me to just run the client on one box, and using unRAID as just a NAS in this case.

Any experience with Crashplan storing it's data on a NAS device?

I don't *think* crashplan support backing up from / to a network drive under windows. I could be wrong or this may have changed.

Ok, I got CrashPlan installed and now I am stuck at your script on page 4.  I opened automator but I don't see where to choose "new custom"

Sorry, those direction were written when i was running 10.5 and Apple has changed Automator a little but.

When you open Automator choose the "Service" option. Also, make sure to change the "Service receives" at the top of the script to "no input"

:)  I don't see where to select

Save As Plug-in and make sure Finder Plug-in is selected.  Name it whatever you like (I called mine CrashPlan GUI Redirect) and save it.

Sorry never used automator before

:)  I don't see where to select

Save As Plug-in and make sure Finder Plug-in is selected.  Name it whatever you like (I called mine CrashPlan GUI Redirect) and save it.

Sorry never used automator before

A "Service" does not get saved as a Finder Plug-in, because it is a plug-in itself

Once it is saved you will be able to access it from the "Services" submenu

I don't *think* crashplan support backing up from / to a network drive under windows. I could be wrong or this may have changed.

You're right, they don't officially support it, but mainly because it has to do with mapped drives and the permissions the windows service has.  It's largely a Windows problem with that.

Workaround can be found http://www.casey-tech.com/2010/06/how-to-get-crashplan-to-back-up-to.html

Definitely looks like it works, just wondered about the weekly maintenance and compacting processes over gigE.  Perhaps the best thing to do is wait and see?

OK, I got it all saved.  When I launch crashplan what should I be doing?  Sorry this whole process has been a little confusing but I appreciate all the help.

The reason you need to do this SSH stuff so that you can put in your login information.  It creates an identity file that needs to be saved so that a reinstall is possible when the server restarts and you don't have to do this all over again.

You install Crashplan on your local machine (your Mac) then use the applescript to redirect the GUI on your local machine to the instance that is running on your unRAID server.  Once the GUI comes up you should be able to login to the unRAID install of crashplan and let it create the identity file.

oK, its not working yet

This is what I get when I run the script

Last login: Fri Aug 27 16:19:45 on console
ssh -N -p 22 [b]root[/b]@[b]Tower[/b] -L 4200/localhost/4243
new-host:~ Dave$ ssh -N -p 22 [b]root[/b]@[b]Tower[/b] -L 4200/localhost/4243
ssh: Could not resolve hostname [b]Tower[/b]: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
new-host:~ Dave$ [b]removed[/b]
-bash: [b]removed[/b]: No such file or directory
new-host:~ Dave$ 

than crashplan opens up and i can choose yes or no

oK, its not working yet

This is what I get when I run the script

Last login: Fri Aug 27 16:19:45 on console
ssh -N -p 22 [b]root[/b]@[b]Tower[/b] -L 4200/localhost/4243
new-host:~ Dave$ ssh -N -p 22 [b]root[/b]@[b]Tower[/b] -L 4200/localhost/4243
ssh: Could not resolve hostname [b]Tower[/b]: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
new-host:~ Dave$ [b]removed[/b]
-bash: [b]removed[/b]: No such file or directory
new-host:~ Dave$ 

If the name of your server is not "Tower" then it will not work.  You need to change the variables at the top of the script before you save it.