Confusion on Upgrading from 4.7 to 6

DigitalDivide

Ok, figured I might as well start a new thread for this.  I'm a little confused on upgrading from 4.7 to 6.  Some indicate that you have to upgrade to 5 first and someone else indicated to upgrade to 6 directly and skip 5.  So not sure exactly what to do.

If I have to upgrade to 5 first, it's still not quite clear on how to upgrade.  When I look at this page for upgrading to 5, http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Server_Version_5.0-beta_Release_Notes, there are various versions of 5 which require their own process.  However on the download page, the latest version of 5 available is unRAIDServer-5.0.6-i386.zip.

So now I'm stuck and not really sure how I need to upgrade. 

Help!

I would go direct to v6 - I do not think there is any advantage to going via v5 and just seems to be a waste of time.  I am assuming that at the moment there are no problems with the current setup - trying to combine an upgrade with a problem resolution is a recipe for trouble unless you are extremely careful.

Whichever way you decide to go then it is recommended that you first make a backup of your current USB stick (with the array stopped) so that it is possible to revert if needed.

I would also recommend that if at all possible you go the route of reformatting your USB stick, extracting the v6 release to it; running make_bootable.bat to make it bootable; and then copying your license key file to the config folder.  This will ensure that you do not have any 32-bit remnants lying around from your current release.   

Since this route involves re-assigning all your drives to the array make sure that you know the serial numbers corresponding to your data disks and parity drive - you do not want to have an accident and accidentally assign a data drive as a parity drive. 

Also make sure you know what other customisation settings you currently have that you will want to also have in v6 - screen shots of the relevant pages from the GUI can be a good idea.

THanks!  My server is good on 4.7, no issues at all.  Other than export the shares for each of my drives, I've done absolutely nothing to my server.

I assume the pro.key is the license key file.  Ok, I'll give it a shot...

I'm also assuming I don't copy over the disk config files and that I'll be starting new.  I do have a screenshot of each of the pages on my current server.

I'm also assuming I don't copy over the disk config files and that I'll be starting new.  I do have a screenshot of each of the pages on my current server.

You COULD copy over the config files to bring your current configuration.  However there should be downside to starting new as unRAID will recognise disks that already have data from unRAID on them.  When you start the array with v6 the data should just reappear.

It should not happen, but if when you start the array on v6 any disk comes up as 'unmountable' do NOT select the option to format such a disk unless you want to lose its contents.  Instead one should resolve why a disk is unexpectedly reported as unmoiuntable.

Quick question, how do I get the GUID of my new usb flash?  I believe I have to install version 6 then boot up to get to the web page.  However, I only have my production system.  Will this cause a problem?  Can I upgrade to 6 and a new USB flash at the same time?

The quick way is to install to the USB drive that you want to use; boot up on it (without assigning any drives). This both checks that v6 boots OK on your system, and also is the way to get at the GUID for the flash drive.

I believe that getting a replacement key has been largely automated now.  I have not tried it, but I think if you copy the old key to the config folder then unRAID will recognise that the key file is not valid for the USB stick in use and give you a link to the web site to do an automated swap to a new key compatible with the USB stick (you are allowed up to one automated swap a year).  Directions on this process should be on the web site.

formatted as fat32 and still having the same problem. Can I pop my usb flash into my home computer to see if it boots or will that cause a problem.

As long as you do not assign any drives, it should not cause any issues.

I suspect you do not have the new USB drive set as a boot device, it's still looking for either the old USB or one of your hard drives to boot from. See if you can find the boot devices settings in your BIOS.

While upgrading my server over the weekend I noticed two things about the new flash drive I used.

1. It was not recognized as a "removable device" it was actually listed as a HDD.

2. Anytime I unplugged my flash drive from the server I would have to go back into the BIOS and set it to boot from the drive (even though the machine wasn't turned back on until after the flash drive was plugged back in). It would remove it from the list and default back to one of the hard drives.

Try checking your hard drives listed in the BIOS and make sure only the flash drive is listed as a bootable device.

I just finished a post discussing the question of skipping versions to upgrade to v6, please see Upgrade MB and OS from 4.7 to 6 questions.

Any users who do skip any upgrades - please report back on what methods you used, and what problems you had, so we can better advise other users.

Sorry for the cross-posting, but this question is popping up a lot!

That was it!  IT was listed as a hard drive.  I set it as my first boot disk and it's now booting. 

I think I'm just going to stop.  I have the new ASRock C2550D4I mb sitting here.  Just waiting for the memory.  I'll try again on the weekend when I can put it all together.  I figured would try the upgrade to 6 now and work on the hardware on the weekend. 

It's a little frustrating as there are so many little things and they are all over through various posts.  THere's no real "guide" per se except all the wonderful people here.  The problem is when you are in the middle of an install, you have to hope someone is around to help out.

I guess we'll see this weekend.

Archived