[Feature Request] Docks/VMs Auto-Start/Stop fine tune

Hello.

I would like to request that VMs/Docker auto-start toggle be changed to a dropdown box with the options of auto-start/stop:

1. on server start/shutdown

2. on array start/stop

Currently I've got a VM I'm using to remotely connect to and manage my server, and a No-IP dock I want to continue working even if I stop the array for some reason.

Thanks in advance

If I'm not mistaken, the cache drive is also available after array stop.

No it is not.  Only the 'flash' share is available with the array stopped.

Actually, my first idea was to request making the cache-only shares available even after array stop...

i am reasonably certain that there is already a request that covers this.  Still does not hurt to ask again.

Having said that I have a drive that is not assigned to unRAiD that I use for VM's so the ability to have VM's automatically stopped/started at system start/stop would be very useful.

Actually, my first idea was to request making the cache-only shares available even after array stop...

i am reasonably certain that there is already a request that covers this.  Still does not hurt to ask again.

Having said that I have a drive that is not assigned to unRAiD that I use for VM's so the ability to have VM's automatically stopped/started at system start/stop would be very useful.

Me too, and a few people, archedraft is one I can recall also use unRAID with a pfsense VM so this feature is very useful to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too, and a few people, archedraft is one I can recall also use unRAID with a pfsense VM so this feature is very useful to them.

And me too.  I also have a pfSense VM as well as other VMs where I'd like to minimize start/stop activity.

Writing a script to start, stop, pause, or unpause a docker is pretty simple.

docker stop [Name of container to stop]

same command for Start, Stop, Pause and Unpause.

I think the issue will be if you try to start a docker that is mapped to a location that doesn't exist prior to starting the array you'll have problems.

Short answer is I think a script could be made to provide more control over when Dockers start / stop... but I am not sure this is a thing LimeTech would want to support since you can get yourself in trouble....

• 2 weeks later...

How do you assign a dedicated drive for VMs outside of the array which is not the cache drive?

How do you assign a dedicated drive for VMs outside of the array which is not the cache drive?

I added the following lines to my 'go' file

mkdir /mnt/djw-500gb

mount /dev/disk/by-label/DJW-512G-SSD /mnt/djw-500gb
logger -tgo "Mount /mnt/djw-500gb"

(you would use your one names for the mount point and disk label)

and the complementary entries to the 'stop' file (which you need to create if you do not already have one)

#!/bin/bash

umount /mnt/djw-500gb
logger -tstop "Unmounted djw-500gb"

This approach means that the disk is mounted at system start and unmounted as part of system close rather than array start/stop.

If you want this tp happen as part of array start/stop then you could simply use the Unassigned Devices plugin to manage this for you.

mkdir /mnt/djw-500gb

and the complementary entries to the 'stop' file (which you need to create if you do not already have one)

#!/bin/bash

umount /mnt/djw-500gb

This approach means that the disk is mounted at system start and unmounted as part of system close rather than array start/stop.

If you want this tp happen as part of array start/stop then you could simply use the Unassigned Devices plugin to manage this for you.

Is the 'go' file processed before docker and kvm start?

Do I just create a 'stop' file next to the 'go' file?

Haven't figured out yet the order of unraid startup...

mkdir /mnt/djw-500gb

#!/bin/bash

umount /mnt/djw-500gb

Is the 'go' file processed before docker and kvm start?

This is run at the end of system initial startup well before array start.  In fact that is where the emhttp process which controls array start/stop (and thus Docker/VM start/stop) is started.

Do I just create a 'stop' file next to the 'go' file?
Yes.  It is run as part of the system shutdown process.  I am surprised that Limetech does not provide an empty one that just has comments as part of the default install as unless you dig deep into the documentation it is not easy to find references to it.

Haven't figured out yet the order of unraid startup...

I know I have seen that spelled out in some detail - but I cannot remember where off-hand.