ESXI: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci

Very likely, as it was broken in a kernel update, it will be fixed in a kernel update.  Somewhere out there is a user who may not have even heard of unRAID, but is suffering from the same problem.  They will report it, and diffs will be checked, and a patch will be reversed or corrected.

Yes, may be :) but then you have to wait somewhere till the end of the year when more Linux distros(Ubuntu for example) start shipping kernel 4.

New 6.1 RC has new kernel... no time to update yet, but I'm curious if it fixes our issues.

I will test it in an hour or so and report back.

I'm experiencing this problem as well.  I'm running Unraid 6 as a guest on ESXI 5.1 (and a supermicro X9SCM motherboard with SASLP-MV8 raid controllers).

However, I'm unable to pass through the USB controller -- when I set the value to pass it through, it doesn't 'stick' through the reboot.

Any one know if an upgrade to the latest ESXI would correct this?

Edit: I've upgraded to 6.1rc and am still seeing this same issue:

Jul 18 23:42:22 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci

Jul 18 23:42:22 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] 121307136 512-byte logical blocks: (62.1 GB/57.8 GiB)

I would recommend you upgrade to the latest build of 5.5 of ESXi.

Also, where did you get 6.1 from?  I don't see it on limetech's website or available through the autoupdate plugin.

I have just upgraded, and unfortunately I also get these warnings  :(

Jul 19 17:16:14 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Jul 19 17:16:14 Tower kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdn] 3987456 512-byte logical blocks: (2.04 GB/1.90 GiB)
Jul 19 17:16:59 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Jul 19 17:16:59 Tower kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdn] 3987456 512-byte logical blocks: (2.04 GB/1.90 GiB)
Jul 19 17:17:40 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Jul 19 17:17:40 Tower kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdn] 3987456 512-byte logical blocks: (2.04 GB/1.90 GiB)

My USB key is a Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 2GB

KingstonDataTraveler20.jpg.1cc0ed7688fbd90c6f3e539afab39348.jpg

I have just upgraded, and unfortunately I also get these warnings  :(

Jul 19 17:16:14 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Jul 19 17:16:14 Tower kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdn] 3987456 512-byte logical blocks: (2.04 GB/1.90 GiB)
Jul 19 17:16:59 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Jul 19 17:16:59 Tower kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdn] 3987456 512-byte logical blocks: (2.04 GB/1.90 GiB)
Jul 19 17:17:40 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Jul 19 17:17:40 Tower kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdn] 3987456 512-byte logical blocks: (2.04 GB/1.90 GiB)

My USB key is a Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 2GB

Found my USB 3.0 host and pass'd that through.  No more USB error for me.. hopefully more of you can find multiple USB controllers :)

Found my USB 3.0 host and pass'd that through.  No more USB error for me.. hopefully more of you can find multiple USB controllers :)

Are you booting the UnRAID server directly from the USB flash drive in this configuration?  ... or do you have to use PLOP?

It'd be very nice if a direct boot worked, as that would allow the built-in Update functionality in v6 to work in a virtualized UnRAID.

Are you booting the UnRAID server directly from the USB flash drive in this configuration?  ... or do you have to use PLOP?

It'd be very nice if a direct boot worked, as that would allow the built-in Update functionality in v6 to work in a virtualized UnRAID.

I'm using a VDMK (does not work with built-in updating).  I could play around with PLOP.... but the slow boot speed annoys me.

PLOP/USB does worth with the update plugin.

I'm using a VDMK (does not work with built-in updating).  I could play around with PLOP.... but the slow boot speed annoys me.

I used to do that as well, but just upgraded both ESXi (from 5.5) and unRAID(from 5.0.4), and while I was at it thought I would just test the improved plop: PlopKexec.

It is MUCH faster at booting! I just timed it (see my config in signature):

• Power on until finished reading kernel and starting "running text": 30 secs
  • Power on until login prompt: 1 minute flat!  ;D

So now I just boot using the plopKexec ISO never looking back again to the vmdk-method.

I used to do that as well, but just upgraded both ESXi (from 5.5) and unRAID(from 5.0.4), and while I was at it thought I would just test the improved plop: PlopKexec.

So now I just boot using the plopKexec ISO never looking back again to the vmdk-method.

I might have to give Plop  a try.  I've always used the vmdk method but if Plop is just as fast and works with auto update I'm in.

Do you passthrough your USB.. PLOP wouldn't find my USB on passthrough

Plop wouldn't find my USB either.  I switched to Plopkexec and was able to find it.

Following up from my earlier post -- upgrading to ESXi 5.5 and I was now able to set the passthrough of my USB device.  Got that configured (and removed the old device specific passthrough) and everything seems to be running well now and no errors are being thrown in my log (yet).  System is much more responsive.

Do you passthrough your USB.. PLOP wouldn't find my USB on passthrough

I passthrough the port, not the controller - see my config attached.

Don't you get the "ESXI: usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci" error with that?

Can you post a screen shot of your passthrough settings?  I'm not sure I even have the option passthrough individual USB ports.

Not sure what you need apart from the previous screenshot. Tell me a bit more in detail how to find what you need, and I'll be happy to help!

Can you post a screen shot of your passthrough settings?  I'm not sure I even have the option passthrough individual USB ports.

Not sure what you need apart from the previous screenshot. Tell me a bit more in detail how to find what you need, and I'll be happy to help!

Nah I got it based on your last post.  Looks like you're not actually passing through any devices just adding them to the VM.  I was thinking u were doing Direct I/O passthrough of individual USB ports somehow.

@JimPhreak: No - sorry for being incorrect in stating "passthrough of the port" rather than "adding" - my mistake.  ::)

@smdion: As my Supermicro board only has the one controller (as I understand/remember it), I would have nowhere to boot ESXi from if I passed the controller through, leaving me with no USB ports left... So I will have to wait for the issue to be hopefully solved soon. At least things appear to work regardless of the logging.

Doubt this will help but maybe it will.

I do NOT have this problem (not saying I might not have others but don't have this one).

[*]Running 6.0.0 will upgrade to 6.0.1 but don't expect this to cause it either.

[*]MB is X9SCM-F class (Tyan S5512 specifically) so doesn't have USB 3.0.

[*]Sandy Bridge Xeon CPU

[*]MB Bios was down graded to Sandy Bridge compatible bios due to TV tuner card incompatibility with Ivy Bridge bios and ESXi.

[*]Running ESXi 5.0 not 5.1 or 5.5

Not sure if it is #2, #3, #4 or #5 above that is letting mine work.

• 3 weeks later...

OK I think I may have made some sense of this.  This is what I’ve observed and cannot speak to other configurations.

First off system setup:

Hardware

Mobo: X8SIA-f

CPU: Xeon X3460

Mem: 16GB ddr3 (4x4GB)

Controller: LSI 1068E (BR10I passed through)

Flash drive: Lexar Media JD FireFly 2GB

Cache: Samsung 840 256 GB

Parity: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB

Data: Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB

Software:

ESXi 6.0

Unraid 6.01

plopkexec.iso

Story:

I just recently went from bare metal to ESXI on my backup server.  It didn't take long to run across this issue.  I read this thread and got to thinking it might be a usb flash drive issue.  So I stood up a test vm and loaded a few flash drives of different vendors.

I thought i had found a magical make/model to resolve the issue.  Then the issue started showing up in the logs again. 

I got to backtracking my configuration changes since the time of the error started showing up and i realized something.  The period that the error went away i had another flash drive attached to a windows 7 vm loading unraid on it.  The error started when i "ejected" it from the windows 7 vm.

Solution:

So with that in mind i wiped and formatted a flash drive with nothing on it and a different label than "UNRAID" (as to not confuse unraid) and added it to my unraid vm.  Success, the errors went away as soon as it was recognized by unraid.

This method uses an available device, but it's a solution that doesn't require passing through a usb controller.

I don't know if usb hard drives will "fix" the issue, but I’m going to try it after the preclear I’ve got running finishes.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

This tread is holding me back from doing the upgrade to V6.

I hope this gets resolved soon!

This seems to be a kernel issue, rather than an unRAID issue.  So it may take some time.

Using a $30 card reader (fcr-hs3) fixed it for me, and a second USB device (passed through) fixed it for someone else.

If you want the advanced features of unRAID 6 I'd try one of those things, but I can only vouch for the card reader solution.