Need to replace M/B, will upgrade 5 to 6, can I just follow upgrade guide?

jang430

Will my array drives's data be affected?  If I did follow the verion 5 to 6 guides, will it still detect my drives, and assign them correctly since I will be changing to new M/B?  Will the sequence of how I connect drives have impact in any way?

Will my array drives's data be affected?  If I did follow the verion 5 to 6 guides, will it still detect my drives, and assign them correctly since I will be changing to new M/B?

I think it should work OK.

Will the sequence of how I connect drives have impact in any way?

unRAID v5/v6 do not care where drives are connected - it recognises them by serial number so it is a good idea to have a screenshot of the current setup.

I'll add one piece of advice - it is never wise to do more than one major task at the same time.  Pick one of those, perform it completely and make sure everything is working fine, then perform the other task.  I can't think of any reason why one task should be done before the other, so it's your choice.  Swapping out the motherboard is just as easy with either version.

I just finished upgrading from 4.7 to 6 and replaced my MB at the same time.  Didn't have any problems whatsoever.

Still not recommended. Only change one thing at a time, then if it doesn't work you will know what to focus on to troubleshoot, or what to do to get back to a working condition.

Archived