Can't Delete Folder

I'm running V60 RC5 and there is a folder I can't delete. I've tried everything that I can think of.

I just ran reiserfsck and it found 2 errors and suggested I run reiserfsck --fix-fixable /dev/md9 and it cleared up the errors. I restarted the array and tried to delete the folder and I still can't.

Any suggestions? TIA

I'm running V60 RC5 and there is a folder I can't delete. I've tried everything that I can think of.

I just ran reiserfsck and it found 2 errors and suggested I run reiserfsck --fix-fixable /dev/md9 and it cleared up the errors. I restarted the array and tried to delete the folder and I still can't.

Any suggestions? TIA

First of all 6.0-rc5 is no longer supported.  Please upgrade to latest stable release.

Cool. Thanks. Here ya go.

Everything looks good in there.  Probably you have some left over 'hidden' files in that share.  The easy way to deal with that is to wait until 6.1 'stable' is released, where we display those so-called 'dot' files in network directory listing.  That makes it possible to delete those files via Windows.

The other way to delete those involves using the console/telnet command line to type the command to delete them.

In this case, after logging in, first examine what's in the share - not sure which share you are tying to delete but let's say it's "data":

ls -la  /mnt/user/data

If that command shows any files that start with '.' (dot) that's the problem.  To remove all those files:

rm -r /mnt/user/data/*

You should then be able to delete the share via Share Edit page.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ah ok. Thanks. It's not a share, it's just a folder a movie was in that I moved. While I was moving it via Putty it said it couldn't be deleted. That was a while ago and I forgot about it.

I'm not very versed in command line things. Should I use the same command line that you mentioned for just a regular folder?

Ah ok. Thanks. It's not a share, it's just a folder a movie was in that I moved. While I was moving it via Putty it said it couldn't be deleted. That was a while ago and I forgot about it.

I'm not very versed in command line things. Should I use the same command line that you mentioned for just a regular folder?

Huh, not sure how that might have happened.  If you are wanting to totally empty that share, then yes that command will delete everything under that directory (share) name.

No, the disk is full of files. I just want to remove the one empty folder.

I think you may be having a misunderstanding about the word share.

Anyway, you indicated you had used putty. When you log in to the server as root, you should have permission to delete anything. If the file was open then maybe it wouldn't let you delete it.

Where exactly is the folder?

I'm sure I am! LOL. Anyway, it's the folder Captain Amer. \\TOWER\disk9\Movies\Captain Amer. I shortened it thinking maybe it was not deleting because of the name or something. So I can change the name but not delete it. I tried once in Putty, but not since I went to a newer version of unraid. I'll try that next.

I'm sure I am! LOL. Anyway, it's the folder Captain Amer. \\TOWER\disk9\Movies\Captain Amer. I shortened it thinking maybe it was not deleting because of the name or something. So I can change the name but not delete it. I tried once in Putty, but not since I went to a newer version of unraid. I'll try that next.

At the unRAID command line, that path is "/mnt/disk9/Movies/Captain Amer". The easiest way to get there and delete it is to use Midnight Commander. At the command line, just type

mc

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried in telnet?

The back slash in the code is because there is a space in the name.

One other thing, I ran into the same thing a while ago...

I thought the file was a file but in fact it was a bundle/folder which looks like a single file with an extension and contains other files.

To delete it I had to add the extension as in .sparsebundle

I could only delete it in telnet like below.

CHANGE DIRECTORY

cd /mnt/disk9/Movies/Captain\ Amer

LIST FILES (make sure your in the right place)

ls -la

DELETE DIRECTORY

rm -r Captain\ Amer

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried what you instructed above, but it won't delete. It says "cannot delete directory not empty" I tried deleting the folder inside that and it wouldn't delete that either.

Weird thing is I can rename the folders, but not delete it.

Not sure what you mean by "I thought the file was a file but in fact it was a bundle/folder which looks like a single file with an extension and contains other files.

To delete it I had to add the extension as in .sparsebundle

I could only delete it in telnet like below."

Could you explain further? Thanks.

Movies and Apps are usually packages (folders/directories that look like a flat file in OSX) that have a number of files within them.

They usually have a dot extension that may not show in OSX unless you have the finder prefs set to show them.

Sorry for the confusion it was late and I was tired  when I posted.

Have you tried running new permissions on unRaid? Then try to delete again, maybe even reboot before delete.

If you want to delete everything under /mnt/disk9/Movies/Captain\ Amer you need to

rm -rf /mnt/disk9/Movies/Captain\ Amer

The f flag will force it. Be careful because /mnt/disk9/Movies/Captain\ Amer and everything under it will be blown away.

Although, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't they be deleting from /mnt/user/Movies/Captain\ Amer instead?

Create a new folder called "test" make a new folder inside that called "test1" or what ever you like to call them as long as they don't exist.

You can do it right from OSX finder...

Then run those commands in telnet to see if you can delete that.

cd /mnt/disk9/Movies/
ls -la
rm -r test