BT Home Hub 5 and unRAID

TexasDave

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there in the UK is running unRAID through a BT Home Hub 5?

I am sure there are some folks doing this....

I can get to my unRAID server just fine - both directly by IP or by http://Tower....

But my device no longer shows up on the BT Home Hub Screen (attached is a sample (not my actual setup)).

The only reason I care is I want to do some port forwarding on the BT Home Hub 5 so I can get "connectable" to a torrent site. I can download - but cannot "share" as I am not connectable. I can download torrents.

I could see it on the HH5 admin screen when I first setup unRAID. But since adding dockers, it has gone away. I wonder if this has to do with having "Bridging" enabled in networking? My MOB is a SuperMicro X10SL7-F.

Thanks!

Dave

I recently tried a HH4 and found the port forwarding to be somewhat lacking.

I run the Unraid Webgui on port 80 (default)

An Apache web server on ports 81 & 443

Then forward 81 to 80 and 443 to 443 via my router to my Unraid box.

Couldn't find a way to achieve the same on the HH4 and from my experiences with the HH1 and HH2 as well as the HH4 can't imagine the HH5 is much better...

Not saying it's not possible, but it may be worth investing in a decent router.

I got an Asus DSL-AC68U which is awesome, ADSL & VDSL built in modems, AC WiFi, Guest networks, VPN server with dynamic DNS.  Worth every penny.

Yeah - I think I am going to have to drop some more money. This unRAID stuff is expensive!  ;)

Thanks!

DZ

Yep, and my wife only knows the half of it...

Could save some money and take up a drug habit instead!  ;D

What about selling the HomeHub on an auction site?  Although I liked the idea of having a spare VDSL modem when I had FTTC, until I gave it to Sparklyballs... (Don't have fibre any longer so not really an issue..  :( )

Yeah - I think I am going to have to drop some more money. This unRAID stuff is expensive!  ;)

Thanks!

DZ

What about selling the HomeHub on an auction site?  Although I liked the idea of having a spare VDSL modem when I had FTTC, until I gave it to Sparklyballs... (Don't have fibre any longer so not really an issue..  :( )

who put a hacked firmware on it for a while , lol..

hopefully not still a sore point...

it's back to stock firmware though... works nicely..

back on topic... i handle all my port forwards and whatnot through pfsense.

I will definitely sell the old router....Who is your ISP?

Did you look at any other routers? The one you have looks pretty nice. Thanks!

Yeah but I had quite a limited selection as Mrs CHBMB wanted only one box... in black...

There are very few integrated VDSL Modem/Routers out there when I looked (beginning of the year)

There appears to be a few more here and mine has dropped in price a fair bit.  This is the store I used but you may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere..

I wouldn't consider a router now without VPN access.  Just makes life so much easier..

Thanks!

DZ

who put a hacked firmware on it for a while , lol..

hopefully not still a sore point...

it's back to stock firmware though... works nicely..

back on topic... i handle all my port forwards and whatnot through pfsense.

Was never a sore issue mate, was just amusing that a modem I'd used for years and never had any problems was on life support after being in your hands for 2 days.  ;D

I will definitely sell the old router....Who is your ISP?

Did you look at any other routers? The one you have looks pretty nice. Thanks!

My current ISP is BT on an ADSL connection, prior to that I was on BT FTTC Infinity 2.

Stuck with BT after I moved despite the price as I'm expecting FTTC in the village soonish so will be able to upgrade immediately rather than waiting for a twelve month contract to expire with another company.

Stuck with BT FTTC at my last house as never really found a provider that offered 76mb/s at a decent price..

I would recommend popping on ebay and getting the white modem and then you can use any ethernet based fw you want after that. You could even build your own pfsense or UTM etc

Actually that's not a bad idea.  I thought about it but no way am I able to get a pfsense setup into the lounge near the master socket and don't like the idea of running my router over powerline networking to the modem.

So it depends how your home is networked.

It was not showing up as I had it set t static IP in unRAID.

When I changed it to use DHCP, and then in the HH5 set it to always use the same IP, it worked.

It is essentially the same thing - so that is that. Thanks all for the help!

At least you got it sorted, definitely the cheapest option..

I do the same and set all my static IPs in my router rather than on individual devices.  Also means it survives an OS reinstall..

Archived