Home CCTV

billington.mark

Hi Guys,

Im in the market for a home CCTV system and would like to have it write back to my UnRaid box. Is anyone aware of a docker container to provide a webGUI and control recordings and hardware that could easily be set up like this? Id like to avoid having any extra hardware other than the physical camera.

To start off with id only have the one camera but might expand in the future.

Thanks!

I've been looking into options lately too. The problem with using a docker is that it relies on drivers from the host (I believe) so it won't pass through the drivers for a capture card since the unRAID distribution doesn't include them.

I'm thinking of running a win7 VM and IP Cameras using Blue Iris software to accomplish this goal.

I run a windows VM with Blue Iris specifically for my IP cameras. Works very well. Though, even writing the security feed a cache'd unraid share, the drive that the feeds are stored on is always spun up. Appears Blue iris is doing something with the saved files constantly.

For that reason I use a USB external drive via unassigned devices. Not optimal, but better than keeping a drive spun up or the cache drive continually dumped to.

I run a windows VM with Blue Iris specifically for my IP cameras. Works very well. Though, even writing the security feed a cache'd unraid share, the drive that the feeds are stored on is always spun up. Appears Blue iris is doing something with the saved files constantly.

For that reason I use a USB external drive via unassigned devices. Not optimal, but better than keeping a drive spun up or the cache drive continually dumped to.

I get the array drive reasoning, but what's the difference between spinning a cache drive and an external USB drive? One could argue you are spinning two drives if using the USB and only one if you use the cache..??

I get the array drive reasoning, but what's the difference between spinning a cache drive and an external USB drive? One could argue you are spinning two drives if using the USB and only one if you use the cache..??

My cache is SSD. Issue is longevity due to constant writing to the disk. If the external drive dies, its not the end of the world. I've got plenty of old 2.5" drives sitting around to swap ;)

Archived