We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

GPU Passthrough Geforce 550 TI SC - Resolution issues

Acps

So I have successfully pass-through my GPU and installed the drivers correctly for it. However the resolution is set to 1024x768. You cannot change resolution in RDP. Using TightVNC any changes I make in the Nvidia software or in the Windows interface do not actually change the resolution. Is there something I am missing here to be able to adjust this?

Ideally I want to be able to setup my VM to my 60in TV as a steam box to play on. But at 1024x768 would be disappointing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Still not having any luck with this. I am running Windows 10, if that makes a difference. This card is capable of 4k resolution via HDMI, so I would really love to be able to adjust the resolution up from 1024x768.

If anyone has any ideas of what I could try to figure this out I would love to hear it.

Did you try to change the resolution only through rdp/vnc or did you connect a monitor to the passed through video card and try to change it?

I have been using TightVNC to remotely connect for the most part. However I have setup Windows RDP and Splashtop as well, and can remote with any of the 3 applications. Remotely using Microsoft RDP in Windows, they do not allow you to even mess with the resolution, it just not an option and the Nvidia Control Panel is removed from the context menu.

Using both TightVNC and Splashtop I get the same results. I cannot adjust the resolution, either in Windows advanced display settings or in the Nvidia control panel. In the Windows settings, it lists all the available resolution, however whenever I select 1920x1080 or any other resolution and try to apply the settings, I get the following error: "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings." But I went through and tried every resolution and none of them will work. Even attempted to reduce the resolution from 1024x768 down to 800x600, but I get the same error.

In the Nvidia control panel, the recommended resolution is 2560x1600, and 1024x768 is the lowest available resolution. But trying to changing resolution and applying them doesn't even produce an error, it just refuses to try.

Overall, a few things I have noticed that may help figure this out, is the fact that my video card never attempts to actually change resolution. Usually when changing resolution the monitor would blink and resize the monitor and display the new resolution with the box, Would you like to keep the current settings? Yes / No. And of course there would be a 30 sec timer to revert in the event you could not respond due to a resolution problem. But neither Windows or Nvidia, attempt to change resolution or flicker the screen. Instead they both refuse to even try.

Again, I am running Windows 10, and I was able to successfully install the correct drivers for Nvidia and avoid the Code 43 error in the Device manager. I am using the most current set of drivers and the Nvidia Control Panel software.

Lastly, the card is band new, installed out of the box just this week. I chose this card due to a lot of the positive feedback from other members on the unRaid forums.

Thanks in advance again!

Ok, when connected via my TV I am able to change the resolution. Although another issue  has come up. Trying to remote VNC while on my TV, to have use on a mouse and keyboard, the desktop mouse cursors do not match, most likely due to different resolutions on my VNC viewer and the TV.

Is the only solution for this going to be passing through a USB controller to allow me to use a mouse and keyboard? I have recently installed a PCIe USB 3.0 card, but have run into issues passing through to the VM.

I had posted that issue in another thread: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36768.msg415451#msg415451

Thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it!

Ok, when connected via my TV I am able to change the resolution. Although another issue  has come up. Trying to remote VNC while on my TV, to have use on a mouse and keyboard, the desktop mouse cursors do not match, most likely due to different resolutions on my VNC viewer and the TV.

Install a VNC server on the OS and use it instead of the KVM VNC.

Install a VNC server on the OS and use it instead of the KVM VNC.

I had installed TightVNC server on the VM OS. Then I was using the client on my laptop to access it.

I havent had the option to use the WebUI since I passed through the video card.

I had installed TightVNC server on the VM OS. Then I was using the client on my laptop to access it.

I havent had the option to use the WebUI since I passed through the video card.

My experience is that you get significantly better performance if you use RDP rather then VNC to connect to a VM. 

Archived