automatic shutdown when no VM is running....

boelle

So i had somewhat success with getting my first VM's running

i can set them to start with the box.... great...

but when when either me or tina kills the vm before we go to bed it would be nice if a shutdown was started.... ie when no VM is running

i know i could prob use putty to ssh in to the box and tell it to do a shutdown... but not sure if that is a good  to do from within the VM

corner to shutdown, restart or start/stop the array.

Its not the array....

Its the whole unraid box i was thinking about

ie first man out of bed press the power button, since the VM's are set to auto start they will start up

then i click on shut down pc as i would on any windows pc

a few hours later tina which knows nothing about unraid would do the same...

now i would like it to shutdown the unraid box and power it off completely...

did you really mean the array or the box as a whole?

System Buttons

adds an one-click button to the header which allows for instant sleep, reboot, shutdown of the system or array start/stop.

was it that one?

that was not quite what i was after... this would require to open a browser and click shutdown.... if one does that by mistake and the other is working on something....

my idea would be a bit more "foolproof" as the VM's would have been killed from the vm before the box powers off

I thought shutdown, restart and start/stop the array was pretty self explained. So yes, you can shutdown unraid.

You are 2 people and it can not be that hard to ask what the other is doing  ::)

I'm not sure what you mean by foolproof, but system buttons shutdowns the VMs before unraid is shuts down.

This is the solution that is available now, but if its to much trouble for you to do this you are free to not do it. It was a suggestion for making it easier for you.

Hmmm

Thanks for the tip, will der if i can Cook up something

Just make sure there is some safety built in that will allow running the array with no VM's for troubleshooting or other reasons. It would suck to get into a loop where the array shuts itself down if the VM fails to start properly. Perhaps set the shutdown watchdog script to be triggered by something internal to the VM, like a batch file that runs from the windows startup in either VM. That way if the VM doesn't fully start, the array won't shut down if the VM is closed.

well it has just been put on hold

the box froze up after hours of use, and my situation is a bit delicate...

i'm on benefits so cant aford to buy new hardware, the plan was to have one box to run 2 VM's so i in the end could save some electricity.

on the other hand i need the VM's to be stable....

• 2 months later...

For the record, to some of the people dismissing this, I would also be interested in this. Now that v6 is out and about and more people are using it with VM's, things like this would be a nice feature.

My entire family will be using this machine as a normal PC, so them being able to just hit "Shut Down" in Windows and having the whole machine shut down would be very useful.

• 2 years later...