Can my components in my pc become 2 Gaming rigs? (VIRTUALISATION)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before doing ANYTHING with regards to configuration, you need to create a proper bootable USB flash.

It seems you have no done that yet.    Did you CAREFULLY read the setup instructions?

Basically, you format a flash drive in FAT32 with the label "UNRAID";  then download v6.1.3; extract the files; and copy them all to the flash drive; then you run the MakeBootable batch file WITH ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVILEGES;  and then you should have a bootable flash.

You insert that into the PC you want to boot it on; and be sure you've selected the flash drive as the primary boot device.    Note that you have to boot the PC in legacy mode -- NOT UEFI  (this may be your issue).    You'll see the UnRAID screen before it boots (where you can choose UnRAID vs. MemTest) ... if you're not seeing this, you're not booting to the flash drive.

Once it boots, go to a client PC; open a browser; and go to //Tower  ==> you should then get the UnRAID GUI

NOW you're ready to actually try things ...

Is it possible to run multiple VM's at the same time from 1 ssd?

Yes

If so, how do I do it?

Pretty small and simple question for such a large and complex topic.

(because I still have an ssd of 500gb)

I am moving your post to the KVM forum where it belongs. You might try reading some of the stickies there and take a look at some of the stuff on the main Limetech website and the wiki.

Is it possible to do it like this?

create array => of only 1 ssd

create a new share => iso's

create a new share => vdisk

Vm manager => yes

iso libary share => iso share

=I get the VM tab

add VM

primary vdisk => vdisk share

and then size => 250g

add another VM => vdisk share

and then size => 250g

(and set all the other options as a normal VM?) is this right?

I can't try it at the moment

create array => of only 1 ssd

By array, do you mean the same thing we normally mean here?

In unRAID, an array is multiple data disks, usually with a parity disk. This provides the NAS capabilities of unRAID. Then you have the additional capabilities of dockers and VMs.

If you are only interested in VMs (seems like it based on your post history) and don't intend to have a NAS, then maybe unRAID is not what you need.

Yes, unraid is what I need.

I'm trying to do this:

but then i want all the VM's on 1 ssd!

So accualy I don't need to create an array, just set the ssd to the primary disk?

Yes you can do what you want, just assign your SSD as disk 1 and don't assign anything else and start the system. You will have no data protection (no parity) but it sounds like you don't care about that.

Yest indeed that Is what i want to do!

and if a ssd crashes I just replace it and reinstall windows and the games

when i bootup unraid I can't loggin with tower.

i think it is because of the network device that is not found. or not working, I don't know.

My components:

Cpu: Intel i7 6700K

Mobo: MSI Z170 M9 ACK

Ssd: 2x Samsung 850evo 500GB

Psu: Corsair RM 650

RAM: Kingston Hyperx 32gb DDR4 2666MHZ 15cl

Gpu: 2x MSI GTX 970 4GB

Case: Corsair 780T Black

I logged me in as root, but unRAID got an ip with ifconfig

ip =127.0.0.1  (loopback ip)

subnetmask = 255.0.0.0

How can i change it to something like this:

If I typed

ifconfig eth0

-> "eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found.

I tried, lspci (to show all my pci device)

and I can see

"04:00.0 ethernet controller Qualcomm Atheros Device e0a1 (rev 10)"

and on the same screen of

"Tower login: "

there is a line that said

"NTP not enabled"

(what is that?)

and this are my setting in the bios

2egd2y8.jpg

I have merged all your topics, since they are all about the same thing and it will be easier for everyone concerned. Please don't start another one without good reason, especially in the hardware forum. Thanks

Ok, i'm sorry, I though it was another topic

They might have been, but in this case, where you are just trying to do something you saw on youtube, I think they are the same. You are trying to get KVM with multiple GPU passthru on hardware hefty enough to support multiple gamers.

Limetech didn't actually invent KVM, they are just using it as part of their NAS platform. Whether this is the best implementation of a KVM manager I don't know.

Yes, oke I see what you mean.

but I think the KVM is an easy way to use it, and if I want to add extra applications, or make it a nas later that would be realy handy.

So if I could find out how to get it working maybe this is my next os for an extra nas (currently: synology)

for now the software doesn't work because of the network fault. I don't know what it is, or how to figure it out.

Yes, oke I see what you mean.

but I think the KVM is an easy way to use it, and if I want to add extra applications, or make it a nas later that would be realy handy.

So if I could find out how to get it working maybe this is my next os for an extra nas (currently: synology)

for now the software doesn't work because of the network fault. I don't know what it is, or how to figure it out.

How many Ethernet ports do you have on the pack of your system?  Perhaps try changing the port the cable is plugged into?