Unable to open docker database file

shooga

I'm getting the following error:

time="2015-11-24T07:42:48.632055466-08:00" level=fatal msg="Error starting daemon: Unable to open the database file: unable to open database file"

So I don't have a docker tab and docker is unable to start up. What can I do to resolve? Do I need to remove my image file and rebuild? Are all of the settings for my containers stored in the image file, meaning I am starting from scratch?

Full logs attached.

bunker-diagnostics-20151124-0752.zip

Ok. So it occurred to me that I should try increasing the size of the docker image and that partially resolved the issue. However, now I have two orphaned images. Is there a way to convert those back to working containers?

Normally (if properly configured) all your configuration information is held externally to the image file.  If set up that way, you can delete the image file; create a new empty one; and then use the 'my_templates' option in the docker page to reinstate all your dockers with their current settings intact.  The docker containers will then be redownloaded to populate the new image file and you will be back up and running.

Ok. So it occurred to me that I should try increasing the size of the docker image and that partially resolved the issue. However, now I have two orphaned images. Is there a way to convert those back to working containers?

Nuke from orbit. When you run out of space in your docker image it is impossible to tell if you have any long-lasting corruption. It is safest to delete the entire image, recreate the image with the larger size, then readd all your containers using My-templates.

You should be looking to see why you ran out of space. If you're using a Plex docker, you need to configure it to do transcoding elsewhere, outside the container image. If you have other containers you need to see if they're incorrectly writing to inside the image. It might be you have them misconfigured or they're just naughty containers.

Thanks for the replies guys. I nuked my image file and rebuilt everything using my-templates. I didn't even know those were there. Very helpful.

Is there a way to clean up that list? I have some cruft that I'd like to get rid of so it's easier to find the correct versions next time.

Thanks for the replies guys. I nuked my image file and rebuilt everything using my-templates. I didn't even know those were there. Very helpful.

Is there a way to clean up that list? I have some cruft that I'd like to get rid of so it's easier to find the correct versions next time.

my-templates are located at /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user (Linux path) or \\tower\flash\config\plugins\dockerMan\templates-user (Windows path, substitute your server name for tower). You can just delete the ones you don't want to keep.

While you are poking around in there, you might take some time to explore the files on your flash drive. Many of them are just text and that is where all of the webUI settings are stored. Sort of takes away some of the mystery when you see it.