Access to data on drive being rebuilt

gulo

Hello

I have pulled out an older 2 TB drive and replaced it with 4 TB drive. I started the array and the drive rebuild. Within couple minutes I realized that I wanted to change file system on the new drive from reiserfs to XFS. So I canceled the rebuild, formatted the drive and then started the rebuild again.

Right now it's saying that it will take day and a half to finish but I am concerned that it shows 100% free space on the new drive and if I browse to the Drive share there is nothing there.

Did I screw it up by canceling/formatting and I will end up with an empty drive losing all the data there OR is this normal and the data will magically reappear after the rebuild is done?

thanks

OK i just found the top threat where it's clearly stated you cannot change file system AND rebuild the data drive..dang, wish I read it earlier

Now I need some help. I put my original 2TB drive back and Unraid is now saying it's the wrong dive and it's looking for the 4 TB one.

What do I need to do for the unraid to accept the original 2TB drive as it has all my data on there!

thanks!

Yup the drive will be blank since you formatted the emulated drive.

Youre lucky in that you still have the 2tb.  Best way to proceed would be to let the rebuild finish then use unassigned devices to mount the 2tb and copy the files onto the 4tb

thank you! I panicked and canceled the rebuild and pulled out the 4TB drive.

With the 2TB back in it says it's "Wrong". What do I do now?

You probably have to restart the rebuild as unraid now thinks that the proper drive is a 4tb and it really won't let you use the 2tb without jumping through some hoops.

Whatever you do, baby that 2tb.  Dont let anyone touch it or breathe on it until the 4tb is rebuilt and you get the data off the 2

You probably have to restart the rebuild as unraid now thinks that the proper drive is a 4tb and it really won't let you use the 2tb without jumping through some hoops.

Whatever you do, baby that 2tb.  Dont let anyone touch it or breathe on it until the 4tb is rebuilt and you get the data off the 2

heh good advice! so once the 4tb is rebuilt. I can add 2 Tb as new drive in slot 6 and unraid will recognize that it has data and will not format it or mess with it?

heh good advice! so once the 4tb is rebuilt. I can add 2 Tb as new drive in slot 6 and unraid will recognize that it has data and will not format it or mess with it?

NO.  IF YOU DO THAT UNRAID WILL CLEAR THE DRIVE.

install unassigned devices plugin to gain access to the drive so that you can copy the files off of it

NO!

When you add a new drive it must be clear or unRAID will clear it so parity remains valid.

In other words, if you add that drive to a new slot unRAID will completely wipe it.

Do as Squid said and use the Unassigned Devices plugin to mount that drive outside the array and copy the data from it to your 4TB.

If you don't understand then don't proceed.

Thanks!

I already have one drive setup using unassigned devices plugin so I will give that a try.

In this thread - https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37490.0 the process of copying data from reiserfs to XFS formatted drive seems pretty complicated. Is it really too risky to simply move the files from old drive to the new one using Windows Explorer?

Rather than moving them, copy them. That way if anything goes wrong, you will still have the originals.

Thanks!

I already have one drive setup using unassigned devices plugin so I will give that a try.

In this thread - https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37490.0 the process of copying data from reiserfs to XFS formatted drive seems pretty complicated. Is it really too risky to simply move the files from old drive to the new one using Windows Explorer?

Thats the simple and safe way (albeit the slowest).  A faster option that closest to a windows experience would be to use the dolphin docker application.  Just make sure that when you do any conversion that you always reference a disk share and never a user share

Thanks!

Rather than moving them, copy them. That way if anything goes wrong, you will still have the originals.

OK sounds good. I thought copying would create duplicates but since the original drive will not be part of the array if I use Unassigned Devices plugin it shouldn't matter.

Anyways, it says the rebuild will take 30 hours so for now it's a waiting game.

thanks to everyone for quick replies.