Mobile Server to Ipad Streaming

kizer

I've been trying to think of a way to host/stream video to two iPads in my Truck for a while. I have to little ones that like to watch their videos and honestly Loading/unloading videos is kinda a pain in the butt so I was trying to think of a way to 12volt host and serve to a couple of iPads. i know you can use apps like Plex, VLC and oPlayer.

I've already converted nearly all of my videos to m4v's and some mp4's in 2channel so the iPad can play them pretty effortlessly. Anybody have any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

I thought maybe I could build a RaspberryPI server and maybe stream via wifi, but honestly I can't really find any writeups that cover more than one topic at a time and I'm sure there has to be somebody out there that has done something of the sorts already.  Keep in mind I'm not limited to RaspberryPi. Just a thought.

I'm catering to a 10year old and a 6year old if that gives any indication of ages of viewing users. ;)

My only reluctance to that idea is two kids want two different videos of course. They hardly ever want to want to watch the same thing and one kid constantly fast forwards, rewinds and changes things constantly while the other is a let it play until its done.

I did think of that possibility after I posted....

Two rasp pis?

Sell the least favourite child?  ;)

Essentially you're looking to setting up a mobile mediaserver over wifi with the ipads, but with no AP for the wifi to connect to.  I can't see getting that sorted as being a cheaper alternative...

Lol, Well the older is more set in his ways and the younger can be taught. So the older has to go. lol

I was looking around and it looks like I can use AirVideo on the iPads and use an older netbook I have and run Airvideo server off of it. Plug in a USB drive and let it go. I'll have to test the netbook tonight and see if its powerful enough and hopefully the setup doesn't try to transcode on the fly since all my intended videos are already converted for them.

If I can get the Server/Client sorted out I'm sure I can pickup a low powered travel router and since the range only has to be 3 feet since It'll sit under the bench seat they are currently occupying. Set the SSID/Password to the same as my house so all they have to do is jump in and hopefully it'll just connect and I'm off.

I'm hoping this would/could be a fun project to start with and see what comes out of it. Start with some it works and then build a fancier system that would sync with my home wireless and pull down newest videos and whatnot, but I'll start with some bare essentials for now.

Lol, Well the older is more set in his ways and the younger can be taught. So the older has to go. lol

I was looking around and it looks like I can use AirVideo on the iPads and use an older netbook I have and run Airvideo server off of it. Plug in a USB drive and let it go. I'll have to test the netbook tonight and see if its powerful enough and hopefully the setup doesn't try to transcode on the fly since all my intended videos are already converted for them.

If I can get the Server/Client sorted out I'm sure I can pickup a low powered travel router and since the range only has to be 3 feet since It'll sit under the bench seat they are currently occupying. Set the SSID/Password to the same as my house so all they have to do is jump in and hopefully it'll just connect and I'm off.

I'm hoping this would/could be a fun project to start with and see what comes out of it. Start with some it works and then build a fancier system that would sync with my home wireless and pull down newest videos and whatnot, but I'll start with some bare essentials for now.

How you going to setup a wifi network? Can the netbook act as an access point?

Exactly, Closed system just so video can go from the source to the ipads. Like I said this is just an idea and in the last 3years I've done a few cross country trips and keeping the little ones entertained has been a slight challenge when your traveling 1800 miles.

In the past I've made a Pirate Box, but honestly it kept buffering and having issues using a TP-link portable router.

https://piratebox.cc/

My brother and I have used an Apotop Wireless Card Reader to stream video via WiFi (using SMB and an SMB capable video player on the iPads) to 2 iPads whilst travelling on the train; amount of storage dependent on the size of the sd/USB drive inserted.  Pretty cheap, does the job we needed of it ..... Just needs USB power supply for extended use.

My brother and I have used an Apotop Wireless Card Reader to stream video via WiFi (using SMB and an SMB capable video player on the iPads) to 2 iPads whilst travelling on the train; amount of storage dependent on the size of the sd/USB drive inserted.  Pretty cheap, does the job we needed of it ..... Just needs USB power supply for extended use.

What app may I ask are you using on the iPad? Or is it using an app that comes with the Device?

Loading/unloading videos is kinda a pain in the butt so I was trying to think of a way to ...

Even if you are going to run a media server/access point within the car, you still have to load that server with videos. I'm not seeing the time savings over using something like Plex (with Plex Pass syncing feature) to sync copies to the iPads. Let the kids choose what they want to watch, wait 30 minutes for the 2-4 videos to copy to each and off you go. For those longer road trips where you'll have WiFi at the motel, use the Cloud Sync to load literally hundreds of videos to your Google drive for streaming over WiFi or sync to local iPad for the next days' driving. With a beefy enough server at home you could just stream them from there over WiFi as well.

Loading/unloading videos is kinda a pain in the butt so I was trying to think of a way to ...

Even if you are going to run a media server/access point within the car, you still have to load that server with videos. I'm not seeing the time savings over using something like Plex (with Plex Pass syncing feature) to sync copies to the iPads. Let the kids choose what they want to watch, wait 30 minutes for the 2-4 videos to copy to each and off you go. For those longer road trips where you'll have WiFi at the motel, use the Cloud Sync to load literally hundreds of videos to your Google drive for streaming over WiFi or sync to local iPad for the next days' driving. With a beefy enough server at home you could just stream them from there over WiFi as well.

You assume that you have high-speed internet capability where you want to be able to do this.  This is not always the case and you often want an offline solution when travelling.  Also you assume that you have the space on the iPad to store the videos.  The Apotop solution does not occupy any space on the iPads as you stream video from them.

I have also done a similar approach using AirStash devices.  They use SD cards for media storage and I plug them into a PC/Mac (via USB 3) to populate the SD cards (I have some 128GB ones) but that is easy and quick.

So it is possible to get a PC to act as a sort of AP.  Interesting, I'll have to have a read of that.

Do you have a space laptop lying around?  You could use it to store the media and also make it a wifi router (via adhoc network):  http://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-websites/home-computer-router/

I imagine that the iPads could connect to it like any other router.

John

You guys are awesome. I'm so glad I asked this question.

last night I was tinkering around with an old Netbook using Air Video Server from http://www.inmethod.com/ and its corresponding app and it works great, however I'll have to come up with a travel router and like every windows device there is a lot of overhead from the OS, but it seems to hold pretty steady. I watched two movies last night from it on an iPad.

I do like some of you guys solutions too. I'm going to investigate each and every one of these replies and see what works.

Feel free to keep them coming. ;)

What app may I ask are you using on the iPad? Or is it using an app that comes with the Device?

The apps we have used were nplayer and infuse pro, but there are a multitude of media players that are available for you to try out that would do a similar job.

The difference is I have months to do whatever I need to do and honestly kids change their minds faster than anything I can honestly think of. On an iPad I'm limited to 64Gigs of total space which includes games and videos and it never fails I'm asked to put something on or take something off the night before we leave. With a USB stick or portable drive I can load it up with 500G - several TB's worth of stuff at my leisure and easily change it as I need to.

As well I'm always looking for a new project to work on. So this is my new one apparently. ;)

Why not run Linux on the netbook and use the Linux Air Video server on that? You lose having to depend on Windows and all the associated bloat.

The original air video was brilliant on my older Unraid server and I use the HD version in a docker on my current server - a N54 HP.

Yeah I remember that! I still remember trying it the first time and being absolutely amazed that I was watching a video on my phone in bed, and getting frustrated that my then gf was not in the remotely bit impressed by it...

Why not run Linux on the netbook and use the Linux Air Video server on that? You lose having to depend on Windows and all the associated bloat.

The original air video was brilliant on my older Unraid server and I use the HD version in a docker on my current server - a N54 HP.

Yeah I remember that! I still remember trying it the first time and being absolutely amazed that I was watching a video on my phone in bed, and getting frustrated that my then gf was not in the remotely bit impressed by it...

You tube has ruined the wow factor for most people.  Nowadays you have to show the quality comparisons side by side.  I still catch my wife watching SD TV when the same program is on in HD.

I still catch my wife watching SD TV when the same program is on in HD.

That is the sadist thing I have heard all day  :'( SD is just nasty...

I had to have a conversation today to explain HD vs SD to my parents and then hear my wife say "I can't tell the difference!"  A little piece of my heart broke at that moment.  I may have to file for divorce, shame, quite liked her up until that point..  ;D