[SOLVED] Server hangs at Login Prompt

Unraid Version 4.4.2

I am currently experiencing an issue where I can't get past the login prompt. The bzroot and bzimage seems to load fine, I can't catch all the output as it boots but it appears to see all 6 SATA drives load up but then when it gets to the login prompt it hangs.  The keyboard num-lock light turns off and the cursor just blinks but I can't enter anything with the keyboard.  The server appears to get as far as loading the network as I can ping the IP from another host but when I try to telnet it connects but it never gets to a shell and seems to just hang similar to the login: prompt directly on the server.

I ran a memtest and also ran the flash through my MAC DiskUtility verify disk and no errors were reported.

Nobody will be able to help you with such an old version.

After upgrading, you will have to do New Permissions since the permission settings were changed since v5.

The upgrade instructions say I need to do a clean install, is there a way to see the config for the drives from the backup of the flash ?  Will the new version identify the parity drive and rebuild the array without me identifying each drive?

Thanks

Nobody will be able to help you with such an old version.

After upgrading, you will have to do New Permissions since the permission settings were changed since v5.

The upgrade instructions say I need to do a clean install, is there a way to see the config for the drives from the backup of the flash ?  Will the new version identify the parity drive and rebuild the array without me identifying each drive?

No - ideally you should have a screenshot of what your assignments were before you moved so you know the serial numbers of the drives as v6 (and v5) identify drives by their serial numbers, not by where they are plugged in.  In practice the only one that really matters is the parity drive as all the data  drives can be assigned in any order. 

You do NOT want to accidentally assign a data drive as a parity drive as that would destroy its contents.  The normal way forward in such a case is to assign ALL the drives as data drives and see which one is flagged as 'unmountable' when you start the array.  Once you have identified the parity drive you can then do Tools->New Config and start again this time assigning the parity drive correctly now that you know which one it is.  However I am not sure if that process will work for you as you already seem to have some issues and that might stop the parity drive being the only one flagged as unmountable.

I believe that usually means you didn't format and prepare the flash according to the upgrade guide, or you didn't extract the distro correctly (preserving the folder structure), or the syslinux tool did not work correctly (it's run by make_bootable).  How exactly did you prepare the flash?  You might check the Files on flash drive section of the guide, to see which files should be there, and where they should be.

I believe that usually means you didn't format and prepare the flash according to the upgrade guide, or you didn't extract the distro correctly (preserving the folder structure), or the syslinux tool did not work correctly (it's run by make_bootable).  How exactly did you prepare the flash?  You might check the Files on flash drive section of the guide, to see which files should be there, and where they should be.

I am pretty sure I ran the steps to create on a Mac correctly - it ran the shell script and it then copied the ldlinux.c32 from the syslinux folder to the root of the drive and created the ldlinux.sys also at the root.  after searching some more I think this is my issue - https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38160.0

Guess it's now time to install virtualbox and get a windows image up and running to format the flash drive before installing

FAT32 should work.

My Motherboard doesn't seem to like it I was able to format to FAT-16 from my Mac [i updated the original post with the instructions]. 

WIll post back with more info once I try the below suggestions to assign everything as a data drive to find the "unformatted" parity drive fortunately I didn't have a cache drive configured.

I was able to start the array with all disks as data disks and one showed as unmountable.  I then did a new config and made that one the parity drive and now a different dis showed as unmountable.  I am attaching the diagnostics download to see if that might provide some assistance.

The first time the unmountable drive was serial number ST3000DM001-9YN166_Z1F11JBB - 3 TB (sdh) so I believe this is the parity drive. 

What are my options now though that it also appears that I have a corrupt drive in the array?

tower-diagnostics-20151215-2012.zip

From your v4 flash backup, copy the super.dat file from the config folder, to a temp folder on your new flash, and run strings on it (e.g. strings /temp/super.dat).  That will show the list of drives, in their assigned order, the parity drive being the first one.  Ignore the garbage characters that will also be visible (it's a binary file).

Since you came from v4, how were you running 3tb drives with it?

You could still use the 3TB drive as a 2TB drive (2TB partition), MBR type only.

From your v4 flash backup, copy the super.dat file from the config folder, to a temp folder on your new flash, and run strings on it (e.g. strings /temp/super.dat).  That will show the list of drives, in their assigned order, the parity drive being the first one.  Ignore the garbage characters that will also be visible (it's a binary file).

Since you came from v4, how were you running 3tb drives with it?

You could still use the 3TB drive as a 2TB drive (2TB partition), MBR type only.

But would that cause the unmountable problem?

I decided to check the diagnostics, and found some bad news.  You have 2 Seagate ST3000DM001 drives, 3TB drives already set to GPT, with full 3TB partitions.  That doesn't seem possible with v4!  But it's beside the point.  ST3000DM001 with serial number Z1F11JBB is the only one without ReiserFS, so is your Parity drive.  ST3000DM001 with serial number Z1F10PFH is a data drive with a Reiser partition, BUT has 13592 already reallocated sectors, and 1144 more bad sectors (Current Pending sectors).  All the bad sectors are causing numerous read errors and causing the drive to fail to mount.

If the parity drive could be trusted (and I don't see how it could be), then you could rebuild that drive onto a new replacement.  Otherwise, you may have to write off that drive and its data.

Wanted to update what I ended up with and say thanks for the help.  First off I am really not sure how but I forgot that I had upgraded to the 5.0 line to support the 3TB drives a while back and I guess this is what I get for not being better at documenting my setup. I looked at the readme on the flash drive and it had 4.4.2 in it so I said that was the version I was running.  That being said when I upgraded I only copied the files necessary leaving the readme untouched I was actually running 5.0-rc5 (not that never upgrading from an RC was a good idea either).

I am still not clear if the bad disk was the reason for the hangup at the login but with the upgrade I am able to see everything and move forward. With this information and a bit more trust in the parity drive I, I am going to be attempting a rebuild as soon as my new drive arrives and as a bonus I am now on the latest version.

Thanks again for the help