Update

limetech

It's been some time since the last release and I want to provide the community with an update on our progress.

Our intention was to release a new server product last November.  This rackmoutable server supports 13 drives, plus an additional eSATA port, providing access to a 14th drive.  Unfortunately in order to support this configuration, we need to use h/w not supported in the version of linux (2.4.x) currently used by unRAID.  So what we've been up to is moving to the linux 2.6.x kernel.

We finally have most everything working now under the 2.6.18 kernel, but still require perhaps another week or two of testing, and we'll probably also upgrade to 2.6.19.2, which is the latest "stable" version.

This is a project we've started & stopped a couple times in the past, but has now become necessary since all new h/w device support has completely stopped for the 2.4 kernel.  This should also let us more fully support the newer motherboards (esp. AMD-based).

Is the primary new feature of this release (other than the use of the 2.6.x kernel), access to the 13th and 14th (through an eSATA port) drive?  I ask because I'm using your current release with four SATA drives in a 4U rackmount case, although the case/motherboard/power supply are capable of supporting between 10-12 drives.

• 2 weeks later...

The next release is what I want with support for drives outside the array.

What would you want to do with capability?

Personally I feel that dvd's or cd's are not that reliable for backup. I have had several that have gone bad and there were no scratches on them, just could not read some of the data on them any longer. I use an external hard drive as a back up now, which is only used to transfer data then disconnected and put in storage. so for me backing up really critical files would be a reason with out having to go thru a secondary computer. And of course for those that are just setting up UnRaid moving large chunks of data would be faster than thru the network.

I would use them as the storage for my HDTV streams.  This would allow me to use multiple drives in the system and get better write performance.  I don't have a need to have my tv recordings under parity protection, but at  the same time I want a single media server for all my media clients to point to.

At the same time I would use the protected drives for storing recordings that I do want protected.

I would use them as the storage for my HDTV streams.  This would allow me to use multiple drives in the system and get better write performance.  I don't have a need to have my tv recordings under parity protection, but at  the same time I want a single media server for all my media clients to point to.

At the same time I would use the protected drives for storing recordings that I do want protected.

I second your thoughts entirely! Tom, any thoughts on a possible ETA?

-PGPfan

Will current users be able to upgrade and add an additional 1 or 2 harddrives?

Following the discussion back in January in this thread of a new version that will allow 14 HDDs being a few weeks away....

Where you referring to the v3.0 or v3.1beta2 releases that are now out?  Or are we still imminently awaiting arrival of the 2.6+ Kernels and this feature?  I can't tell from the downloads folder what the release dates of the current stable & beta versions were.

I'm not after it before it's ready, but just wondering whether something I'm looking forward to is already here? :)

Thanks,

Mark.