Best Wireless Router for increasing transfer speeds

krackato

I currently have a router attached to my unRAID Server - the TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless Router - http://amzn.to/20VD57w

I've discussed that router here - http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46091.msg440417#msg440417

However, I'm trying to increase my transfer speeds, both for uploading to the unRAID server and for wirelessly streaming to my devices.

1. Do I need to replace my router with a better router that includes gigabit ports? - http://amzn.to/1V3RScP

These seem to range in the $99-199 range with some approaching almost $400.

2. Or can I get by with just purchasing a Gigabit Switch? - http://amzn.to/1Q7qsyi

These seem to range in the $20-30 range.

3. If I need a new wireless router, which routers do you guys recommend for the fastest wired and wireless transfer speeds, both upload and download?

For wired connections the switch will work fine. Plug EVERYTHING into the switch, then one port on the switch to LAN1 on the router.

For wireless a new router won't magically cure your wireless performance. There are SO many variables.

I suggest you go to www.smallnetbuilder.com and begin reading their gudies.

It would help to understand what devices you are trying to connect to your home network, where they are connecting (bedroom, living room) and what resources the devices are trying to use - unRAID or the internet.

My Cable Modem/Router (all in one unit from the cable company) is in the living room. It broadcasts the main wireless signal.

The unRAID server is in the bedroom.  The unRAID server is connected to the TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless router.

The TP-Link router wirelessly connected/bridged to the the main Cable Modem/Router in the living room.

So basically on my laptop, I can be on either wireless signal (living room or bedroom) and I can both access the internet and the unRAID server.

My main goal is to improve the transfer speed up and down to the unRAID server so I can upload and download faster.

I am going to add a cache drive, but I also think getting a router (or switch) with gigabit ports will allow me to upload much faster to the unRAID server especially if I connect my laptop to a wired port.

Basically the TP-Link router is a good router (it's the #1 selling router on Amazon) but it sells for $20 and it doesn't have gigabit ports so if I need gigabit ethernet ports I need to make some type of upgrade.

So I'm asking for recommendations on routers/switches from the unRAID community.

Your best bet for improving speeds is to ditch wireless and go wired gigabit Cat5e or Cat6.

Your next best bet for improving speeds is to ditch wireless and go wired with MOCA 2 if you have coax connecting the two areas.

Your next best bet for improving speeds is to ditch wireless and go wired with MOCA 1.1 if you have coax connecting the two areas.

Short of that, you should look at getting and using an 802.11ac wireless router and 802.11ac wireless controllers for all your systems.

My main goal is to improve the transfer speed up and down to the unRAID server so I can upload and download faster.

Could you add a little more there?  Are you trying to improve the speed of transfers from your laptop to your unRAID server?  Or the speed of transfers from the internet directly to your unRAID server (no laptop involved)?

Could you add a little more there?  Are you trying to improve the speed of transfers from your laptop to your unRAID server?  Or the speed of transfers from the internet directly to your unRAID server (no laptop involved)?

I am trying to increase the speed (up and down) between the unRAID server and my Laptop.

I am trying to increase the speed (up and down) between the unRAID server and my Laptop.

Ok, that helps.  Do you need the extended wireless coverage the TP Link is giving you, or were you getting an adequate signal from the uBee?  Also, what is your laptop capable of, wireless N?  AC?  Dual Channel?

Here's the problem.  Most routers which can be configured as a wireless extender/repeater shut off the physical ethernet ports when configured that way.  Many (but not all) routers which can be configured as a wireless access point do the same thing.  I'm not sure if your TP-Link is one of them, but it is clearly shuttting down the ports when configured as an extender.  So, you're kind of stuck.  What you're looking for is a network device in your bedroom acting as both a wired and wireless access point.  But, a WAP only extends your existing network and it relies on a hard wired connection back to your primary router...

There are a number of ways to solve this problem, but most of them involve getting wired networking from your living room into your bedroom.  Ethernet is preferred, MOCA after that, and Ethernet over Powerline can work well under some circumstances.  Once you have that setup then you can choose to use a switch or a WAP in your bedroom.  I like Asus routers - both my RT-N66U and RT-N56U can be configured as a WAP with ethernet ports active.  But if you don't really need the wireless boost in the bedroom you could simply retire the TP-Link and replace it with a simple Gig switch.

I wanted to update this thread with what I've tried so far.

Mr-hexen suggesed a powerline adapter so I decided to try that first.

The sales guy recommended the TP-Link TL-PA8030P Powerline Kit. The reviews looked good so I bought it - http://amzn.to/1n4HQgc

One unit is placed in the living room plugged into my cable modem/router.

The other unit is in the bedroom plugged into my unRAID Server.

Setting up the unit was very easy, just press a button on both units and the Powerline adapters connected automatically.

Since there are 3 ethernet ports on each Powerline units, I have 3 options for connecting to unRAID using this configuration.

Speeds with a Cache Drive

1. WiFi Upload Speed - ~10MB/s up

2. Ethernet Powerline Living Room (the one connected to the Cable Modem/Router) = 11.5MB/s upload

3. Ethernet Powerline Bedroom (the one connected to unRAID) = 80MB/s

Currently, I'm fairly happy with this.

I have a fairly decent upload speed using wireless.

And I have a much faster upload speed using ethernet when I really need it.

So I might just keep this configuration for now since it meets my needs and it all worked very easily.

Should I expect faster wifi upload speeds? Because other than that, everything like uploading, downloading, streaming seems to be working fine.

The only issue I'm currently having is I'm having trouble getting Bittorrent Dockers like Deluge and Transmission working.

I don't think that that's because of these Powerline adapters, but I haven't tracked down the problem yet. 

I think the issue might be because my uBee DDW36C cable modem from the cable company sucks when it comes to port forwarding, but we'll see

If anyone has any advice or a YouTube link on getting one of the Bittorrent Dockers working (Deluge, Transmission, or rTorrent/ruTorrent) please let me know and I'll report back when I have this whole thing working.

I wanted to update this thread with what I've tried so far.

Mr-hexen suggesed a powerline adapter so I decided to try that first.

Just in case you didn't try, I would also move the adapter to all plugs available and test, as there can be a substantial difference in speeds between one and another. I even have one wall plate where the speed between the two plugs in the same wall plate are different!