Can you see anything wrong with my hardware choices before I buy them?

slughappy1

I have decided that I want to build a new machine and use unRAID as my OS. I plan on using some Docker applications / Virtual machines, e.g. Plex, PlexRequests, OwnCloud, qBittorrent, Windows 10, etc. I plan on having 1-4 Plex streams at once, usually just one.

I have read that there are some hardware choices that may not be compatible. I was hoping that some people can take a quick look and tell me if they see anything wrong that I may have over looked. I have several HDD's and SSD's that I plan on using, along with a video card and optical drives, so I wasn't planning on buying those...right now.

Case

Rosewill Throne-Window - Black ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case - Supports E-ATX / XL-ATX Motherboards

Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU

Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel® HD Graphics 530

Water cooled CPU

CORSAIR Hydro Series H105 Extreme Performance 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler, CW-9060016-WW

Power Supply

EVGA 220-PS-1000-V1 80 PLUS Platinum 1000 W 7 yr Warranty ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Super Silent continuous Power Supply

RAM

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK

There are a couple of things that I noticed.  The main thing was the 1000W PS.  This is overkill for the equipment that you have listed and will actually waste power because it will be far from the high efficiency part of its power curve. 

Second thing is that you mentioned a video card that you did not specify.  (That could modify the comment about the PS if it has a high-end GPU.)  It might also not really work as you might want it to if you want to pass it through for a top end gaming rig.  You are intending on having a gaming rig VM you definitely need to state what you are expecting...

For the PSU. I was thinking that while it is over kill, it might not be that bad. Perhaps I'm wrong though. I didn't really think of the curve, which I really should have I guess. I've actually only recently even heard of a power efficiency curve actually.

As for the video card I have, currently it is only a Radeon HD 7770. I was thinking of upgrading that in the next few month probably, however nothing like the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970.

Where lies your emphasis? Do you want a super-duper game computer and use it as a small server too? Or do you want a 60+ TB server and play a casual game occasionally?

I am rather conservative and for me server and game computer are 2 completely different things. My server just holds upto 24 disks and is placed somewhere remote and runs completely headless. I control it over IPMI and has no fancy graphics card. My game computer is optimized for gaming wihout running the latest hardware but it gets by.

UNraid 6 for me would have been fully sufficient when only dockers had been added together with a 64-bit environment.

I have tried to run a Windows 7 VM but I gave up on it. I don't feel like re-inventing everything just for fun. For "normal" computing I use a Windows 10 laptop and occasionally a MacBook.

This is not a answer to your question, I know but there are perhaps points to think about.

With the selected hardware you can built a terrific game machine when you add 1 or more graphics cards. The PSU can handle them. Server hardware is something different in my opinion, but that is justme.

just my 2 cents.

Archived