How to access unRAID over internet

Hello guys its me again,

I was wondering if it was possible to access your unRAID server over the internet. For example I am at work and i want to look at my GUI or my VM located at home. Is there a way to do this?

I know most of your are rolling yours eyes, im just a noob man!

Thanks in advance

Actually its a very common question.

There is really only one way to do this, and that is to set up some kind of VPN towards your home.. Best way is to set it up on your router, but not all support it.

Alternatively you could set up something like teamviewer up on your home pc and use that to access your home pc, start up a browser on that and access unraid..

Actually its a very common question.

There is really only one way to do this, and that is to set up some kind of VPN towards your home.. Best way is to set it up on your router, but not all support it.

Alternatively you could set up something like teamviewer up on your home pc and use that to access your home pc, start up a browser on that and access unraid..

If you can't set it up on your router your second best option is to set it up in a box dedicated to pfSense or just a VPN machine.

The third best option is to use a Docker or plugin and run the VPN on your unraid box.

But 100% never forward the port for the webgui or for ssh... that's a great way to turn your NAS into someone's Bot.

If you can't set it up on your router your second best option is to set it up in a box dedicated to pfSense or just a VPN machine.

The third best option is to use a Docker or plugin and run the VPN on your unraid box.

Why is the plugin a third level choice. I have it working well. Only issue is connecting from China to my unraid box in the USA, is no longer sufficient to get access to Facebook, YouTube, Gmail etc.  But I can still get access to the server and the rest of my LAN.

Openvpn used to allow my Gmail to work in China.

Why is the plugin a third level choice. I have it working well. Only issue is connecting from China to my unraid box in the USA, is no longer sufficient to get access to Facebook, YouTube, Gmail etc.  But I can still get access to the server and the rest of my LAN.

The only reason I consider it a third level choice is because it's running on your unRAID box so if you need to restart or you have a power failure that causes a restart your array will go down and your connection, making it a little worse for doing some tasks with unRAID. OpenVPN as a plugin works fine so it's not terrible if that's what you have to do, it's just a matter of knowing the limitation.

If you need to access your system because something breaks down you are dependent on the system itself to access it.. If you have VPN on your router those two are seperated..

Or use my plugin to do what you want. You also get access to your complete LAN.

Hey peter so i have been trying to figure out how to use your plugin and ive come to a dead end at the very start.

I see you have a client and server version. My question is where exactly do a place the link for the client. Do i also go on the unRAID GUI and place that client .plg in the install plugins page or am i missing something.

Once again noob question please bare with me!

Is it ok for me to continue asking questions about this process or is there somewhere I can get further information?

Im currently on your app on my iphone to test it out. Looking at this section and clearly I dont understand what exactly is the access server hostname. I was thinking it was the name of my server, but I just get a blank page when it opens up safari

You must create a user cert on the server, use inline cert And mail this to your self open mail on iPad click on cert , open with the open vpn app.

can't you also upload the .opvn file to your IPad with your inline certificate, and settings via ITunes?

thank you. this is all over my head going to have to google and youtube all this extensively  :-\

It's a mult-step process, but basically you configure the OpenVPN server, then create a Key (or keys) for the client(s), then open the proper ports so it can communicate with the internet.

Then give that Key and server config info to the Client application so it knows where to connect, and what other settings are required.

The actual process to do this varies based on the clients you are using. I'm sure you aren't the first to ask questions though so read though Peters thread, I'm sure it'll help you figure it out.

gundamguy explained it's well

When you created the user file (inline file is one *.ovpn) on the server.Then you can email the config (with file extension .ovpn) as an attachment from an email account on your computer (or a webmail) to the email address setup on IOS in the Mail app. In the mail app open the email and open the .ovpn file, then choose to open it with OpenVPN. If you did it right, OpenVPN opens and you can click a + icon next to your config to import it. Now you can simply slide Off to On and your VPN connects. :-)

gundamguy explained it's well

When you created the user file (inline file is one *.ovpn) on the server.Then you can email the config (with file extension .ovpn) as an attachment from an email account on your computer (or a webmail) to the email address setup on IOS in the Mail app. In the mail app open the email and open the .ovpn file, then choose to open it with OpenVPN. If you did it right, OpenVPN opens and you can click a + icon next to your config to import it. Now you can simply slide Off to On and your VPN connects. :-)

Im trying to figure out where this inline file is located, also im stuck at the section on the openvpn client settings in the configuration file there is no option other than choose a file. Where do i go from here.

Ive been searching for step by step dummy tutorials for this plugin specifically for unraid and i cant seem to find anything that is helpful for me.